[Nfbofsc] Positive Note 1660

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 6 12:47:26 UTC 2018

June 6, 2018

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Saturday, June 2, was a typical hot summer's day, however,
this did not appear to stop approximately 120 federationists representing
nine chapters of the NFB of SC from attending the statewide picnic which was
held at Saluda Shoals Park in Columbia.  As promised, there were no speeches
or program, just a great deal of food, fun and fellowship.  Special thanks
goes to Tiffiny Mitchell, Chairperson of the Statewide Picnic Committee, as
well as to the volunteers who helped to make this event a huge success.  Our
last Statewide Picnic was held fourteen years ago on May 29, 2004.  I
believe it is very important for us as a federation family to come together
in this type of setting at least once a year and I would love to see us
resume this tradition on a yearly basis.

              Please continue to make your hotel reservations for the 2018
NFB of SC State Convention which will be held at the Marriott Hotel in
Columbia, August 10-12.  Room rates are very affordable.  Rates for this
year's convention are $109 per night for up to four in a room.  In addition
to the room rates there will be a tax, which at present is 14 percent.  The
deadline to make reservations will be July 15, 2018.  There will also be a
limited number of rooms available for the $109 rate on Thursday, August 9,
for those individuals wanting to arrive to the hotel a day prior to the
official start of the convention.  If you pay in advance, your reservation
will be guaranteed: however, you will not have to pay as long as you arrive
by 6:00 p.m.  Any amount you pay, of course, will be applied toward your
bill.  The Marriott Hotel has given the NFB of SC a block of rooms to
reserve until July 15.  If you wait until after July 15, to make your hotel
reservation, the hotel may not have an available room for you and you will
not be eligible for the convention room rate of $109.  You can make your
room reservations by calling the Marriott toll free reservation telephone
number (800) 593-6465 or (803) 771-7000 and inform the reservationist you
are reserving a room for the National Federation of the Blind of South
Carolina state convention.

              I am very sad to report to you three members of our federation
family passed away during this past week.  Vernon Smith, President of our
Union Chapter, informed the state office on Wednesday afternoon, May 30,
that long time chapter member Mary Maness passed away on Tuesday, May 29.
Yesterday morning, we received the sad news regarding the passing earlier
this week of Ruby Bryant a longtime federationist and blind licensed vendor.
Ruby was very active at one time in the Columbia and Florence chapters as
well as a leader in the Blind Merchants Division.  Last evening, Shelley and
I along with others received the very sad news Hazel Arms a longtime member
and leader in the Greenville chapter and Seniors Division passed away at
approximately 8:15 p.m. Hazel was a hard working federationist who enjoyed
raising money for her chapter, Rocky Bottom, the Seniors Division and for
the NFB of SC.   She especially loved Children's Camp at Rocky Bottom where
she volunteered as a worker for many years.  These three individuals will be
greatly missed and we, as a federation family, need to keep these three
individuals and their families in our thoughts and prayers.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week we are spotlighting a special federationist who has
been the President of three local chapters not to mention President of the
School for the Blind Alumni Association.  I am speaking of Milton Tant.
Milton Tant was born and raised in Easley, SC but later moved to Augusta, GA
for a while before moving to Aiken, SC.  Milton then attended the SC School
for the Blind in Spartanburg where he graduated in 1967.  Milton has always
loved to meet with the students at the School and for ten years he was the
Alumni Association President.  Completing high school, Milton moved to
Augusta, GA where he worked as a massage therapist at the YMCA for ten
years.  After that time Milton became a blind vendor at the Commission for
the Blind where he worked at Consolidated Apparel in Jackson, SC then at the
main Post Office on Assembly St. in Columbia and last at the Rest Area on
1-95 South which is just north of Florence.  Milton worked 32 years in the
Business Enterprise Program.  Milton tells me that he has been happily
married to Melinda, celebrating 12 years as of April 23.  Milton has been
President of three local federation chapters including Florence, Cherokee
and he is presently the Spartanburg Chapter President.  The Spartanburg
Chapter meets monthly on the second Saturday at the Mountain View Nursing
Home where Milton resides.  They are growing and now have 20 members.
Milton says he has attended 5 national conventions and 25 state conventions.
He hopes to be strong enough to attend the Columbia Convention in August.
Milton's hobbies include reading, sports (and anyone who knows Milton knows
Clemson is his team) and being blessed to have people read tings to him from
his computer.  Milton says he would like to thank Dr. Capps for his example
as much has been learned from the love and support of the Capps over the
years.  One more thing about Milton, he has suffered a stroke and as much as
he loves to attend Rocky Bottom (especially Senior Camp) and federation
events like the June 2 statewide picnic, he is a fighter and although he
cannot walk he can still be President of the Spartanburg Chapter.  As was
stated before, if at all possible, he will try to attend the August 10 to 12
state convention.  Milton welcomes visitors at the Mountain View Nursing
Home in room 306A west wing, which is located at 340 Cedar Springs Road in
Spartanburg; so stop by when you get the opportunity.  Milton is a good
example of someone who does not let his circumstances stop him as he "lives
the life he wants!"

Final Thought:   Father's Day:  "The quality of a father can be seen in the
goals, dreams and aspirations he sets not only for himself, but for his
family."