[Nfbofsc] Resources for Career Planning

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Thu May 24 21:38:46 UTC 2018

Open letter to the National Association of Blind Students (NABS) from Dick
Davis, Chair, National Federation of the Blind Employment Committee

Dear students:

You may be missing out on some great resources for career planning and
jobseeking that are offered through the NFB Employment Committee.  Here is a
list of them:

At the 2018 NFB Convention in Orlando, we host the following events:

Employment Committee Meeting and Networking Session, Tuesday, July 3, 1-3
p.m., Suwannee 11: this is a free flowing event in which we discuss the
things the Employment Committee is doing to help blind people get jobs, take
suggestions for the future, listen to jobseekers discuss their
qualifications and what they are looking for, and employers discuss the job
openings they have and what they are looking for.  We also hear
presentations from organizations that provide products and services to help
blind people get jobs.  (We learned about AIRA before anyone else).

Etiquette Dinner, most likely the evening of Tuesday, July 3, more
information to follow: learn how to handle yourself in a lunch or dinner
interview - how to act, what to do, and what not to do.  (Note, cost for
meal.)

Job Seeker Seminar, Wednesday, July 4, 1-4 p.m., room to be announced:
listen to presenters on a variety of job search topics, and network with
them afterward.  If you come, listen, and ask questions, you will be
prepared for most of the things you encounter.  For more in-depth
information, come to the following.

Job Seeker Breakout Sessions, Wednesday, July 4, 6-8:30 p.m., rooms to be
announced: in-depth discussions on networking, interviewing, resumes, and
other topics.  Perfect preparation for the NFB Career Fair.

Upward Mobility Seminar, Friday, July 6, 6-8 p.m., room to be announced:
this is for those of you who are tired of dead-end employment and want to
advance in the world.  Our presenters will show you how.  Hint: we will
probably have a major well-known corporation presenting this year (more
information later).

2018 Career Fair, Saturday, July 7, 7-9 p.m., Panzacola F3 and F$ ballrooms:
around 300 blind jobseekers who are looking for employment will meet over 30
employers who are interested in hiring them.  Dress well, bring a resume,
and be prepared to sell yourself.

Throughout the year, we offer the following, which can be reached from our
Employment Committee Home Page,  <https://employment.nfb.org/>
https://employment.nfb.org/

NFB Jobs Listserv: join with 700 employers, blind jobseekers, and employment
and career planning mentors in one of the most active of our listservs. Want
career planning advice, the inside track to a job, or how-to information?
Follow the link.

Where the Blind Work: want to hear about careers from the people who work in
them?  Our database of blind mentors may be larger than Career Connect, if
not as well known.  Follow the link.

Information on the employers who hire at our Career Fairs?  There's a list
of them for each year, plus their contact information.  Follow the links.

Recordings of our past seminars, plus articles on resume writing and a whole
host of other things?  Got them, just follow the links.

As you can see, we have lots of things to offer students.  Hope to see you
at our convention events and online, student friends!

Best wishes,

Dick Davis, Chair
NFB Employment Committee

Steve Cook

President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the NFB of SC

1st Vice President of the Columbia Chapter of the NFB of SC