[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1738

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Tue Dec 3 13:54:02 UTC 2019

December 3, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              I am writing this edition of the Positive Note earlier than
usual in order that you may receive it prior to the Christmas Board Retreat
which will be held this weekend, December 6-8, at Rocky Bottom.  Saturday,
December 7, promises to be a very busy day.  We will kick things off
Saturday morning with the Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the
Blind Board of Directors meeting at 9:30, followed by the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Board of Directors meeting which
will begin at 2:00  p.m.  We will have our holiday dinner at 6:30 Saturday
evening and immediately afterwards we will gather around the Christmas tree
and celebrate the Christmas season as we sing carols, exchange gifts,
fellowship, and sample a variety of delicious desserts which I am certain
many of you are planning to bring.  If you wish to participate in the
Christmas gift exchange Saturday evening, ladies will need to bring a
ladies' gift and men will need to bring a men's gift.  I am asking Julie
Bible and Dianna Singleton to be responsible for the distribution of the
Christmas gifts Saturday evening.  The schedule for meals throughout the
weekend are as follows: Saturday morning breakfast will be served at 8:30
a.m., lunch at 1:00 p.m., dinner at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday morning we will
have a continental breakfast at 8:30 a.m.

              I am extremely sad to report on November 29, 2019, at the age
of 97, Ralph M Ellenburg, a true friend of the blind of this state, passed
away.  Mr. Ellenburg was a very special person who loved the blind and Rocky
Bottom.  In his honor, we are reprinting a spotlight article written by Dr.
Capps which appeared in 2010 in the thanksgiving edition of the Positive
Note.  Dr. Capps words written In 2010 continues to reflect today our
gratitude for Mr. Ellenburg's generosity and his tireless work to benefit
Rocky Bottom in any way possible.  Here is what Dr. Capps wrote,

              "Thanksgiving Day was set aside by our forefathers so that the
working class and others might have a day of rest and for anything that
might be good for a rest.  Thus, for so many decades this has been a unique
day of rest and relaxation.  Relying on the official declaration I'm
convinced that acknowledging the spectacular service of a special person is
equally important and compatible with this philosophy.  More than 50 years
ago I was recruiting members in the Greater Greenville area.  I met someone
that told me Mrs. O. C. Hudson was blind and lived in Easley.  She had a
daughter by the name of Dorothy Hudson.  It wasn't long before Dorothy had
joined the Advisory Board of Rocky Bottom and she gave special service to
the program.  I asked her one day if she knew anyone in the Easley area who
would make an outstanding contribution to RBRCCB.  She immediately stated
Mr. Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr. was the best in the county.  She further stated
that chances of enlisting his service on the Advisory Board was very small,
explaining he was already busy.  He had a leading part in the construction
of the Baptist Hospital in Easley.  I later learned that others had acquired
his services as he was a substantial contributor to the soup kitchen that
was provided for the homeless, etc.  The numerous organizations he has
helped are too many to mention.  However, I've learned in a wonderful way
this fine gentleman put forth tremendous effort in assisting persons with
special needs.  Betty and I visited with Mr. Ellenburg more than a quarter
of a century ago and to our delight and gratitude he accepted my invitation
to join us as an important member of our Advisory Board.  Thus, I have
worked very closely with him for a quarter of a century or since the mid
1980's.  A few years ago when a vacancy occurred, he was unanimously
recommended by the Advisory Board to serve as Chairman.  Without knowing him
then as I now do, you can't imagine the things he does including hard labor
to assist RBRCCB and the blind.  In the last few weeks a termite company
discovered termites under the original building of Osterneck.  The charge to
correct this matter was considerable or more than $2,000.  Ralph would have
no part of this.  Having never been in the "termite business," Ralph learns
quickly and has determined that he was getting rid of the termites at little
or no expense.  Other services over the past 25 years, although not
exclusive, are as follows:  repairing stoves, refrigerators, ice makers,
lawn mowers, water heaters, fixing water line leaks, electrical and plumbing
repairs, structural repairs, carpeting, and painting, etc.  I remember his
first Advisory Board attendance in the mid 1980's and before leaving he gave
me a check for $1,000 unsolicited.  Our tremendous friend gave RBRCCB 5,000
shares of BB&T stock valued at $200,000.  He gave well over $50,000 to the
Ellenburg Lodge, completed in 1999.  He secured $75,000 from Alice
Manufacturing for Lawton Hall.  The large and spacious Conference Center had
a price tag of $600,000 and I don't know how much he contributed but it was
substantial.  In the last few weeks, Mr. Ellenburg has secured contributions
for the Labor Day Fun day Festival totaling about $5,000, increasing the
total profits to $15,744.82, slightly more than in 2009.  Additionally, Mr.
Ellenburg attended our August state convention Banquet and when President
Diggs opened the floor for contributions; shortly after this occurred, Mr.
Ellenburg couldn't stay quiet and took the courageous opportunity of
committing ten members including himself, on the RBRCCB Advisory Board for
$100 each for a total of $1,000.  These funds will go to the NFB of SC and
the Federation Center of the Blind.  His help to RBRCCB also includes the
use of his beautiful Beach Cottage in Litchfield Beach which he makes
available for a one week's stay in June to the individual making the highest
bid.  Mr. Ellenburg thinks nothing of the round trips from his residence to
RBRCCB and back, a trip of more than 50 miles.  He has been tremendously
successful and the name of his business is, "Ellenburg Enterprises" which is
very applicable as he does possess and largely manage his many enterprises
including shopping malls and maintains houses to mention a few.  Mr.
Ellenburg will tell you that he didn't finish high school but I can tell you
of his tremendous service to others for six decades or more is based on his
goodness and common sense, while having been blessed with a keen mind and
desire to serve others.  We, the blind across the state, appreciate and love
Mr. Ellenburg.  During this Thanksgiving season we extend our heartfelt
thanks to a wonderful man, Mr. Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr. whose service has
touched the lives of many blind South Carolinians.  We look forward to
having Mr. and Mrs. Ellenburg at our Christmas Board Retreat.  Don't let me
forget, he's a federations being a member of the Easley Chapter.  God bless
Mr. Ellenburg for many more years of service to the blind as possible.  You
will agree that Mr. Ellenburg deserves to be in the spotlight."

              I am also sad to report that Debbie Welch, wife of Danny
Welch, passed away Wednesday, November 27.  Danny and Debbie were longtime
members of the Columbia chapter.  All of us in our Federation family need to
keep the Welch family in our thoughts and prayers.

              Finally, I hope all of you had a blessed Thanksgiving.  We
currently are expecting approximately forty people to attend the Board
Retreat. Remember to check in with our Resident Manager, Linda Bible, for
your room assignment Friday evening.  Shelley and I look forward to seeing
many of you this weekend and as always, we are looking forward to
celebrating the Christmas season at Rocky Bottom with our federation family.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:   Transforming our dreams into reality:  Now is when you are
making history.  What are you doing now that will be considered to be
historic later?