[Nfbofsc] 4 NFB of SC Convention Award Nominations

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Fri Jun 14 12:30:47 UTC 2019

June 14, 2019

Memo To:  Chapter & Division Presidents & Others

From:  Valerie Warrington, Chairman, Associate Member of the Year Award
Committee

Now is the time to send in your nominations for the Associate Member of the
Year Award which will be given at the NFB of SC State Convention Banquet on
Saturday evening, August 10.  This award is given to a sighted Associate
member of the NFB of SC who demonstrates outstanding service to the blind on
a local, state and even a national level.  Please write the reasons why your
nominee should win the award and submit it to me by no later than July 24 so
that the committee can make their deliberations before the convention.  Your
candidate must attend the State Convention Banquet to accept the award if
chosen.  Send them to:

Valerie Warrington, Chairman

Associate Member of the Year Award

384 Cannon Ridge Lane

Newberry, SC 29108

vwarrington at hughes.net

It is a good idea to have others who want to back your candidate to write as
well.  If you nominated someone in previous years that did not win, feel
free to nominate them again.  Since there are always so many outstanding
candidates, we would prefer that your nominee not be a previous recipient of
the award.  There are always several good nominees from which the committee
must choose.  I look forward to hearing from you soon. Remember, the
recipient must attend the convention banquet at the Columbia Marriott Hotel
on Saturday evening, August 10 in order to receive their award.

2018-2019 NFB of SC Committees

Associate Member of the Year Award Committee

Valerie Warrington, Chairperson

JW Smith

Valerie Johnson

Julie Bible

Dorothy Barksdale

Associate Member of the Year Award Recipients

2018     Larry Warrington

2017     Juanita Frink

2016     Jonathan Nelson

2015     Barry Chavis

2014     Judy Simon

2013     Ora Bell Smith

2012     Glenda Culick

2011     Ralph Critenden

2010     Catherine Williams

2009     --

2008 Valerie Johnson

2007     Julie Bible

2006     Ralph M. Ellenburg, Sr.

2005     Margaret Copp

2004     Kim Crabtree

2003     Laura Coppel

2002     Dr. Clarence Hans

2001     Vickie Trammel

2000     Darlene Houck

1999     John Fling

1998     Don Robertson

1997     John Laurens Sanders

1996     Emily Reed

1995     Martha Robertson

1994     Alma Lee Doyle

1993     Louise Gulledge

1992     Jane Patterson

1991     Martha Wright

1990     Mark Bell

1989     Jenny Smith

1988     Dorothy Hudson

1987     M.B. "Red" Shaw

1986     Catherine Williams

1985     Doris Bell

1984     Althea Sims

1983     Jerry Darnell

1982     Beulah Sawyer

1981     ?

1980     C. A. Gatlin

1979     ?

1978     Betty Capps

June 14, 2019

Memo To:          Donald C. Capps Award Committee,

Chapter & Division Presidents & Others

From:    David Houck, Chairman

The Donald C. Capps Award was established with the purpose of recognizing
annually a blind member of the NFB of SC who has demonstrated leadership in
their local chapter and/or division, Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference
Center of the Blind, the NFB of SC and NFB nationally.  It is awarded to
that member who has gone the extra mile in service to the blind.  It is also
given to that blind member who is well thought of by their peers in the NFB
of SC.  You see, the membership of the NFB of SC nominates the candidates.

All you need to do to nominate a voting (blind) member of the NFB of SC is
to send me a letter by no later than July 24 stating who you want to
nominate, what this person has accomplished in the Federation, and what the
candidate has done in work with the blind.  It helps if we receive letters
from others who want to promote your candidate (to write us in their own
words) as well.  In past years, there have been many good candidates
nominated, and if you have promoted one from a previous year who has never
received the award, feel free to nominate them again this year.

Remember, get your letters in to David Houck, Donald C. Capps Award
Committee Chairman, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC 29205  or to
nfbsc at sc.rr.com no later than July 24.    The members of the Donald C. Capps
Award Committee will all receive copies of your correspondence and will be
polled to select the recipient.  The winning recipient must attend and will
be announced at the NFB of SC Convention Banquet on Saturday evening, August
10 at the Marriott Hotel in Columbia.

Please read this memo at your next chapter meeting.  Be sure that your
candidate is there which is a requirement to receive the award.  I look
forward to hearing from you soon.  Should you have any questions, please
call me at the state office at 803-254-3777.

2018-2019 NFB of SC Committees

Donald C. Capps Award Committee

David Houck, Chairperson

Valerie Warrington

Carey Burris

Levern Wilson

Steve Cook

Donald C. Capps Award Recipients

2018     Valerie Warrington

2017     Tiffiny Mitchell

2016     Dorcas Campbell

2008     Vicki Black

2007     Janice Schuelke

2006     Debra Canty

2005     Parnell Diggs

2004     Isaiah Nelson

2003     Diane Camp

2002     Diane Collins

2001     Marty McKenzie

2000     Carey Burris

1999     Helena Parnell

1998     Frank Coppel

1997     Lenora Robertson

1996     Sheila Compton

1995     Geraldine Craft

1994     Janice Schuelke

1993     Hattie Waymyers

1992     Gail Coppel

1991     David Houck

1990     Irene Doyle

1989     Dorothy Barksdale

1988     Mary Middleton

1987     Phil Patterson

1986     Joe Gulledge

1985     Edsel Doyle

1984     Jeff Scales

1983     Suzanne Bridges

1982     Ann Sterling

1981     ?

1980     James Sims

1979     Jerry Whittle

1978     Reba Hancock

1977     Frances Messer

1976     Bob Bell

1975     Mattie Bell Gatlin

1974     Jimmie Smith

1973     Dr. Fred L. Crawford

1972     McDonald Hancock

1971     Gayle Martin

1970     ?

_________________________

June 14, 2019

Memo To:          Chapter & Division Presidents

                           & Employer of the Year Award Committee

From:    Steve Cook, Chairman

The Employer of the Year Award is to be presented this year at the NFB of SC
Convention at the Marriott Hotel in Columbia on Saturday, August 10 at the
NFB of SC convention Banquet.  As in past years, we are seeking nominations
for this award from you concerning employers who demonstrate a proven track
record in hiring the blind.  All you need to do is to write me a letter
describing the employer you have in mind, what they have done in hiring the
blind, the name, address and phone number of the business and the contact
person there.  It is important that company representatives attend the
convention banquet in order to receive the award.  Get your nominations in
to me by no later than July 24 and send them to:

              Steve Cook, Chairman

              Employer of the Year Award Committee

              2446 Harrison Rd.

              Columbia, SC 29204

              cookcafe at sc.rr.com

The deadline is important so that the committee can make a decision and the
plaque can be ordered in time for the convention.

2018-2019 NFB of SC Committees

Employer of the Year Award Committee

Steve Cook, Chairperson

Casey Eubanks

Carey Burris

Loretta Green

David Bundy

Employer of the Year Award

2018 none

2017 Morley Companies, Inc.

2016 none

2015     Talking Book Services

2014     none

2013     SCCB

2012     SCSDB

2011     Time Warner Cable

2010     Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC

2009     none

2008 Grace Management Group of Anderson

2007     Anderson County Sherriff's Office

2006     TeleTech

2005     Time Warner Cable

2004     Comporium

2003     American Red Cross

2002     Sears of Spartanburg

2001     Wells Fargo Home Mortgage

2000     ANC Rental Corporation

1999     Shakespeare Monofilament

1998     Bass Hotels & Resorts

1997     APAC

1996     SCSDB

1995     Air South

1994     Flagstar

1993     Telecable

1992     TW Services

1991     SCE&G

1990     ?

1989     ?

1988     Greenville General Hospital

1987     Rocco Industries

1986     ?

1985     Westinghouse Nuclear Fuel Div.

1984     Spartanburg YMCA

1983     Liberty Life

1982     Clemson University

__________________________________

June 14, 2019

Memo To:  NFB of SC Chapter & Division Presidents

From:  Marty McKenzie, Chairperson, Educator of the Year Award

Dear Colleagues:

At the August 9-11 NFB of SC Convention at the Marriott hotel in Columbia,
we will be recognizing an outstanding educator who instructs blind students
in South Carolina.  You are invited to nominate the possible recipient.
Please send me a letter describing your nominee, their name, address, phone
number and school they teach at along with a detailed description as to why
you believe this nominee should receive the award.  I need to receive your
nomination by July 24 so the decision can be made by the committee.  The
chosen recipient will need to attend the NFB of SC convention banquet on
Saturday evening, August 10.  Please send your nominations to:

Marty McKenzie

1516 Lucky Rd.

Lack City, SC 29560

marty2 at ftc-i.net