[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1715

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Jun 26 12:41:44 UTC 2019

June 26, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Excitement is beginning to build for the upcoming 2019 NFB of
SC state convention which will be held August 9-11 at the Marriott Hotel in
Columbia.  I spoke with our events coordinator at the Marriott Hotel and she
informs me room reservations are beginning to increase.  Room rates are very
affordable.  Rates for this year's convention are $112 per night for up to
four in a room.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 14 percent.  There are a number of rooms still available for the
$112 rate Thursday, August 8.  I would suggest if you have not made your
room reservation as yet you may want to do so by calling the Marriott
Hotel's toll free Reservations number at (800) 593-6465 or you can call
(803) 771-7000 and inform the reservationist you are reserving a room for
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina state convention.

              Remember, you need to make your room reservation at the
Marriott no later than July 15.  If you wait until after July 15, it may be
extremely difficult to reserve a room.  For those of you who will be
attending the NFB National convention from July 6-13, I would strongly
encourage you to go ahead and make your room reservations for the state
convention now and not wait until you return from Las Vegas.  If you wait
until July 13, to make your room reservation, you could forget to do it, and
thereby, miss the July 15 deadline.

              I would also suggest that you go ahead and pay your $80
preregistration for the convention which will cover the Friday evening
reception, the Saturday luncheon and the Saturday evening banquet as well as
a continental breakfast Saturday and Sunday morning.  Please send your $80
preregistration fee to the Federation Center of the Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne
Rd. Columbia, SC 29205.  We are offering a discount for families with
children regarding the preregistration fee.  Parents will pay the $80
preregistration fee and each child eighteen years of age or younger will pay
$20.  We are also offering a discounted rate to college students in the
amount of $50 during the preregistration period.  After August 2, the
registration will increase to $100.

              The program for the convention is shaping up nicely.  The
opening ceremonies for the convention Saturday morning will be a lot of fun
which hopefully will create excitement and set the tone for the convention.
I am also pleased to announce James Gashel, NFB Secretary, will be our
national representative for the weekend.  For many years, Mr. Gashel was the
Director of Governmental Affairs for the NFB and he has worked closely with
the NFB of SC on numerous occasions throughout the years to improve the
quality of life of blind South Carolinians.

We have an announcement from Shelley Coppel, President of our Seniors
Division.  "Greetings to all seniors!  I would like to encourage all
interested persons to join into the fifth and final National Conference Call
for the year sponsored by the National Senior Division.  The time will be:
July 2 at 4 o'clock eastern time. This is all about the purchase and sale of
used blindness equipment.  The featured topic will be The Legacy Technology
Project presented by Roger Cicchesea.  The conference number is:
515-603-3166; access number: 759633 pound".

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

              This week we turn our spotlight toward Lancaster, SC onto
Matthew Duffell-Hoffman, who has set a good example as a blind student.  I
believe he has great potential both in his career path and a as a leader in
work with the federation.  Here he is in his own words:  "While I can't say
I was born and raised in Lancaster, I do not remember anywhere else so it's
basically true. I've grown up living with my mother Jennifer, father Bob,
and two brothers, Michael and Andrew. I am going to have a different
experience than most people going off to college in that I am going from
having two roommates all my life to no roommates in the dorm.

              I went through school attending mainstream public schools. I
started at North Elementary, then went to A. R. Rucker Middle School, and
finally graduated from Lancaster High School. During my time in school I
participated in many extra-curricular activities. I ran Cross Country for
six years, and wrestled for four. I was a captain on the cross country team
in my senior year and a captain on the wrestling team for both my junior and
senior years. I was a member of the Junior Civitans, a community service
club, and participated in Chess Club. I also received some awards: including
the Outstanding Junior Award, Junior Marshall, top 15 of my class, Career
Center Completer in Engineering, graduated with Highest Honors, and highest
SAT at school.

              My first experience with the NFB was in 2012 when my Mom
dragged me up to Baltimore for Project Innovation. There I met many
successful blind scientists and engineers, and had my first introduction to
federation philosophy. Since then, I have attended four national
conventions, two state conventions, and spent a summer at the Colorado
Center for the Blind. I have volunteered at BELL Academy, and Rocky Bottom
Children's Camp of the Blind. This past year I helped with the re-chartering
of the Student Division, of which I am on the board.

              My plan for the future is to be an entrepreneur. I am starting
this journey by attending the University of South Carolina Honors College,
where I start this fall. I will major in Electrical Engineering, and
concentrate in Business Management, Entrepreneurship. I plan to continue my
education with a graduate program that includes a dual Masters in
engineering and business. I am not sure what exactly I want my business to
be about, but I have been exploring the idea of self-driving cars.

              I thank the Federation for its philosophy and guidance that I
credit to my confidence and drive that have led me to success so far in my
life."

              Donald Capps:   In conclusion, Tuesday, June 25 would have
been celebrated as Betty and my 70th anniversary of being married.  This
indeed is a very special day for me.  My son Craig took me out to lunch at
Red Lobster in celebration of this milestone event.

Final Thought:   You can't soar with the eagles if you surround yourself
with turkeys.