[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1732

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 12:59:10 UTC 2019

October 23, 2019

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              This week at Rocky Bottom, twenty seniors from throughout the
state are participating in the 2019 fall edition of Senior camp.  The
seniors have enjoyed activities such as walks, BINGO, group discussions, an
ice cream social, individualized blindness skills training, and visiting
with each other on the deck of the Conference Center.  As usual, Lenora
Robertson and her "food crew" are doing an outstanding job and most of the
campers and staff will more than likely gained a few pounds.  Of course,
Senior camp is under the able leadership of Shelley Coppel and Shannon Cook
and I know these ladies are doing an outstanding job this week.  I would
also like to take this opportunity to thank our Belvedere chapter for
allowing us to again use their van during Senior camp.

              On October 17, 18, and 19, a missions team from Mt. Hebron
United Methodist Church spent a very productive work weekend at Rocky
Bottom.  The missions team worked in areas such as replacing the damaged
wood around the front door of Osterneck Cottage repairing the Conference
Center commercial kitchen floor, replacing light bulbs in various buildings,
power washing sidewalks and buildings, repairing the back wall of the pump
house, and organizing closets just to name a few. Throughout the weekend it
was amazing to watch the efficiency, organization, and effort put forth by
the missions team.  Many thanks go to Jennifer Bazer, who was primarily
responsible for coordinating the mission project, and also Ed Bible, Vice
Chairman of the RBRCCB Board of Directors, his wife, Julie, and David Bundy
for all of their efforts in making this weekend a tremendous success.  Also,
many thanks to Barry Chavis, a member of the Advisory Board of RBRCCB, for
all of his hard work during the weekend.  .  It is safe to say, the much
needed repairs done by the Mt. Hebron missions team saved Rocky Bottom
thousands of dollars in repair costs.  It is extremely evident the members
of the missions team loved Rocky Bottom and are willing to do whatever they
can to make RBRCCB a more beautiful place.

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles

               This week our spotlight turns to a blind lady in the
federation who does many things for the blind, especially for blind
children.  I am speaking of Tracy Spittle of Columbia.  Tracy grew up in
Lake City, South Carolina. Since there were no programs for the blind in
Lake City, she was transported to Florence, where she attended School. She
graduated from South Florence High School in 1992. It was also during this
year that she was first introduced to the National Federation of the Blind.
Tracy attended a couple of meetings of the Florence chapter. After
graduation, she attended Newberry College where she received a Bachelor's
degree in History. She then continued her education at the University of
South Carolina, Columbia where she earned her Master's in Special
Education/Vision. Before she even graduated, she was approached by Richland
School District One. They were in need of a teacher of the Visually
Impaired, and Tracy jumped at the chance. The next stage of her life saw her
married and building a family. Tracy is the proud Mom to Jonathan and
Nicholas Bundy.

              2010 ushered in the beginnings of yet another era in her life.
She moved from West Columbia where she had lived since 1996 to Columbia. She
bought her first home and also remarried in 2012. While life is always
changing, a few things remain the same. She is always learning, helping
others, raising her children, teaching children, and taking part in the
National Federation of the Blind. She enjoys the opportunities that the
National Federation of the Blind affords me to learn from others, share her
knowledge, and fellowship.  Tracy Spittle was also in charge of the 2019
BELL (Braille Enrichment in Literacy and Learning) Academy which was held
for two weeks at the Federation Center of the Blind in July.  Let's give
Tracy Spittle a big salute for changing the lives of blind children!

Final Thought:   Transforming our dreams into reality:  Shoot for the Moon -
24 Americans astronauts have made it already!