[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1749

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Thu Feb 20 13:51:45 UTC 2020

February 20, 2020

From:  Frank Coppel, President

              Yesterday morning, February 19, the NFB of SC hosted a very
successful Legislative breakfast from 8:00 to 10:00 in room 112 of the
Solomon Blatt building located at our state capital complex.  We were
extremely pleased to have approximately 200 legislators and staff personnel
attend the event.  The purpose of the breakfast was to reestablish our
relationship with the legislature and to ask for increased funding for the
SC Commission for the Blind's Older Blind program.  Kudos to the NFB of SC
Legislative Committee and its Chairman, Ed Bible, for a job well done!  I
would also like to recognize Catherine Williams and Dondra Bible for their
outstanding work manning the registration table as well as David Houck for
all of his hard work in preparing for this event.

              On Saturday evening, February 15, Shelley and I had a
wonderful time attending the fifth annual Sweetheart Dance Sponsored by the
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.  Approximately 57
individuals were in attendance and it was very apparent everyone enjoyed all
the festivities of the evening.  The Federation Center was beautifully
decorated with alternating white and red table cloths as well as a balloon
bouquet on each table.  Individuals enjoyed a delicious dinner and
afterword's many of us had a great time participating in a few games and
contests as well as listening to the music, dancing or just talking with
each other.  Many great door prizes were handed out which greatly helped to
enhance the festivities of the evening.  I am very proud to announce
approximately $1,100 in net proceeds were raised for the NFB of SC which met
our goal for the evening.  As this was a fund raiser for the state
affiliate, I would like to recognize those state board members and leaders
who were present for this event.  They were Second Vice President, Debra
Canty, first district board member, Lorreta Green, fifth district board
member, Linda Dizzley, and at-large board members, Ed Bible, Tiffiny
Mitchell, and Isaiah Nelson.  Also in attendance were David Houck, Director
of the Federation Center of the Blind and Jennifer Bazer, Director of
Successful Transitions.  I would like to thank Kerry "Butch" Thompson, a
member of the Sumter chapter, for doing an excellent job providing the music
for the evening.  Many thanks also go to Jennifer Bazer and Valerie
Warrington for securing a variety of door prizes.  A very special thanks
goes to Debra Canty, our Fundraising Chairperson and her planning committee
for putting together this event.  Many kudos for a job well done!

              The 2020 convention of the National Federation of the Blind
will take place in Houston, Texas, July 14 to July 19, at the Hilton
Americas-Houston hotel, 1600 Lamar Street, Houston, TX 77010. Make your room
reservation as soon as possible with the Hilton Americas-Houston. Call
1-800-236-2905 to reserve your room in the main hotel. If you wish to stay
in our overflow hotel, the Marriott Marquis Houston, the number to call is
1-877-688-4323.

              The 2020 room rate at our main hotel is $105 per night and
applies to singles and doubles as well as triples and quads. Hotel and sales
taxes in Houston are 13.38 percent and 8.25 percent, respectively. The rate
for the overflow Marriott Marquis is slightly higher at $119. As with our
main hotel, hotel and sales taxes are additional, and the nightly rate
covers up to four in a room. Both hotels will take a deposit of the first
night's room rate for each room and will require a credit card or a personal
check.

              If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against
your card immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before Friday, June 1,
2020, half of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be
made.  Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

              Reservations may be made before June 1, 2020, assuming that
rooms are still available. After that time the hotels will not hold our room
block for the convention. In other words, you should get your reservation in
soon.  Both hotels offer complimentary in-room wireless internet (though the
Marriott requires a free-to-establish Marriott Bonvoy account) and fitness
center access for all guests. All rooms are furnished with mini
refrigerators along with many of the usual amenities such as in-room safes,
irons and ironing boards, and hair dryers. After the day's events, you can
get your swim on at either hotel. The Hilton has an indoor pool on the 23rd
floor, while the Marriott features an outdoor pool adjacent to its
Texas-shaped lazy river pool. Both hotels have several on-premises dining
outlets with a broad range of additional options within a short walk from
the front door.

The schedule for the 2020 convention is:

Tuesday, July 14 Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 15Registration and Resolutions Day

Thursday, July 16Board Meeting and Division Day

Friday, July 17Opening General Session

Saturday, July 18Business Session

Sunday, July 19Banquet Day and Adjournment

              Congratulations to Loretta and Henry Green, as well as the
Upper Dorchester County chapter and the Anderson chapter of the NFB of SC
for becoming the newest members of the $100/100 club, as they each
contributed $100 to the Rocky Bottom refrigerator/freezer fund.  Thus far,
we have raised $3470 in contributions and pledges.  Our goal is to raise
$10,000, so let's continue to keep the momentum going!

              The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise
the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

Final Thought:   Transforming our dreams into reality:  Take your dream, act
on it as if it is reality and more often than not, it will become reality.