[NFBofSC] Legislative Breakfast

Ed Bible ebible at sc.rr.com
Thu Feb 20 15:18:45 UTC 2020

Good Morning Federation Family,

Well it happened!  All the state senators and representatives and their
staff were invited to join the great breakfast hosted by NFB of SC.  There
they learned more about the NFB than they ever thought there was to know.
Yesterday we had a great impact on changing what it means to be blind.

Beginning very early yesterday morning our brothers and sisters began making
their way to the state capital.  These members are our leaders and those
that volunteered for certain work sites. Arriving a little before 8:00 AM we
opened the doors.  I of course was concerned about the attendance and
praying all goes smoothly. The Federation was in place and ready,
registration table, receiving line of our officers, food ready, and slide
show on two very large monitors showing our lives and training which is
offered.

They began to come in and slowly grew to be a well-attended breakfast.  I
heard 174 were registered but some got around our table. In all it was
estimated around 200 attended our breakfast and presentations. SCCB
commissioner Graham  who was our guest expressed she thought we had one of
the best events like this she ever attended.

All agree it was a success and will have benefits for our members in the
future as we become closer to those that govern us .  As many of you know we
had a very close relationship in the past and must build that relationship
so we can continue guiding them to assist in the ever growing population of
those going through vision loss.

If you can, I would like your help.  When this opportunity came up I felt
this was something I was led to do.  I accepted the date of February 19 for
this legislative breakfast.  I called a friend and new member who had
catering experience.  She connected me with Blue Marlin catering service.
Some of you may remember them for the Columbia Chapter's barbeque .  With
their generosity, they offered a reduced price for providing a breakfast for
150 people. I signed the contract and wrote a personal check for the event.
I knew there was very low funds in the treasury.  Much to my wife's shock we
pulled the funds from our emergency savings account and went forward.  My
sister sent a check for $200.  Julie and I will do no less for the project.

This is the hard part for me. I am requesting donations no matter how much
if you think this was a good program for us.  Those of you who do not or
just can't, I understand as I am a blessed man. I would like to put the
funds back into our saving account minus the $200 from Linda and the $200
from Julie and me. If not, it is God's will. Anything received over the
replacement amount would be put aside for the NFB of SC to procure a book
binding machine so we can produce our own Palmetto Blind magazine.  The
center has a new copier with all the bells and whistles and with your effort
and these tools we will produce high quality magazines.

I give all praise to the one who made this day possible.

Ed Bible, Chairman

Federation Center of the Blind