[NFBofSC] Free Slate and Stylus Program

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Sun Nov 29 13:41:16 UTC 2020

Free Slate and Stylus Program

The National Federation of the Blind will distribute a plastic, four-line,
twenty-eight cell slate along with a saddle stylus to those that need them.
That includes those that are blind and low vision who know Braille or want
to learn Braille.

The slate and stylus have long been and continue to be valuable tools for
writing Braille, which is vital to literacy for the blind. It is the only
Braille-writing device that has the same portability, flexibility, and
affordability as a pen and pencil. From labeling your canned goods to
jotting down a phone number, the uses and advantages of the slate and stylus
for the blind are as varied as those of a pen and pencil for the sighted.

Application Information

Please visit our  <http://freeslates.nfb.org/> free slate and stylus program
online application to request your slate and stylus.

Or complete the
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/free-slate-application.pdf> free
slate and stylus program application (accessible PDF) and mail it to:

Free Slate and Stylus Program
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230

Eligibility

Any blind individual in the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and
Puerto Rico can request a slate and stylus for their personal use. Requests
can be made as often as once per year.

More Information

If you are not sure how to use the slate and stylus, please read the
FR5/FRFA0112 "Parents Guide to the Slate and Stylus" or "Writing with the
Slate and Stylus Is Easy" both of which were featured in our Future
Reflections magazine. You can also purchase The Slate Book from our National
Federation of the Blind Independence Market.

For more information about our Free Slate and Stylus Program, email us at
<mailto:nfb at nfb.org> nfb at nfb.org.

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

President Elect of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind of SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the
National Federation of the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom
Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky
Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

 <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any
of the below links!

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> National Federation of the
Blind of SC on Face Book

<https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-S
C-343263089815304/> Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference
Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

 <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr> South Carolina Parents
of Blind Children

The National Federation of the Blind welcomes all blind people, parents of
blind children, blind students, those losing vision, and more. We are a
family of members and friends that knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life you
want.

How to Join

Federation of the Blind is to attend a chapter or division meeting in your
local area. You can find your nearest chapter or division meeting by
reaching out to your state affiliate president. Membership in a chapter or
division will automatically grant you membership in your state affiliate and
the national organization.

 <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/join-us> Come join us!