[NFBofSC] Free White Cane

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Sun Nov 29 13:43:10 UTC 2020

Free White Cane Program

The National Federation of the Blind has distributed more than 64,000 free
white canes since 2008. The white cane gives blind people the ability to
achieve a full and independent life, allowing us to travel freely and
safely. We started our free white cane program because we believe that no
blind person should be without a white cane, regardless of his or her
ability to pay for it.

To request a white cane, you can fill out our online application or mail a
completed application to our office.

*	 <http://freecane.nfb.org/> Free White Cane Online Application
*
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/free_white_cane_application.pdf>
Free White Cane Application (PDF); please mail the completed PDF application
to Free White Cane Program, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, Maryland 21230

Any blind individual in the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and
Puerto Rico can request a cane for their personal use. Requests can be made
as often as every six months.

How to Choose Your Cane Size

The canes distributed through our free white cane program are straight
fiberglass canes (i.e., not folding or telescoping). All canes are white
with a loop on top of the handle and come with a cane tip.

For adult first-time cane users, we recommend measuring from your shoulders
to the floor. The cane needs to reach about two steps in front of where you
are stepping. The speed of your pace and length of your stride will make a
difference. More experienced cane travelers may wish to have a longer cane,
measuring at least chin height.

For children, teens, and young adults who are first-time cane users, we
recommend measuring from your chin to the floor. More experienced cane
travelers may wish to have a longer cane, measuring at least nose height.

Cane Travel Training

Because we are committed to ensuring that every blind person can acquire the
training he or she needs to use the white cane, we are proudly affiliated
with top-notch model  <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/training-centers>
training centers. The innovative training programs we have pioneered at
these centers are increasingly being replicated by other rehabilitation
agencies and providers.

For more information on cane travel and techniques, we invite you to read, "
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/books/cfcane/canetc.htm> Care and
Feeding of the Long White Cane: Instructions in Cane Travel for Blind
People."

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

President Elect of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind of SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the
National Federation of the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom
Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky
Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

 <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any
of the below links!

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> National Federation of the
Blind of SC on Face Book

<https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-S
C-343263089815304/> Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference
Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

 <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr> South Carolina Parents
of Blind Children

The National Federation of the Blind welcomes all blind people, parents of
blind children, blind students, those losing vision, and more. We are a
family of members and friends that knows that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life you
want.

How to Join

Federation of the Blind is to attend a chapter or division meeting in your
local area. You can find your nearest chapter or division meeting by
reaching out to your state affiliate president. Membership in a chapter or
division will automatically grant you membership in your state affiliate and
the national organization.

 <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/join-us> Come join us!