[NFBofSC] {Spam?} The Blind Perspective Newsletter; September Issue

Steve & Shannon Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Fri Sep 4 01:37:59 UTC 2020

Newsletter; September Issue

Welcome to The Blind Perspective

September 2020
Volume 6; Issue 9

Table of Contents

Sponsors of the Month
Greetings from the Editor
Movers & Shakers
Androids
International Perspective
Exercise, does a body good
Have I Got A Story For You
Connecting the Dots
The Guide Dog Journey
Spencer’s Spotlight
APPetizers: Byte Size Tidbits to Help Master Your iDevice
A Time to Plant
Dirty Work
The Beauty Parlor
Cooking Concoctions
Riddle & Brain Buster

Navigation

The Blind Perspective Newsletter has been produced in such a manner that makes it easier to stroll through the articles. If you are using JAWS, System Access, or NVDA, press the letter H to move through the headings. If you are wanting to skip back simply press the shift key + the letter H. For MAC users, press Control Option Command plus the letter H and to go backwards through the articles press Control Option Command shift plus the letter H. If one of the links do not work for you just copy and paste it in to your browser and it should work.

Greetings from the Editor

By Karen Santiago

Welcome to September and the last third of 2020,
I am sure a lot of us would like to have this year hurry up and be behind us. And, boy do we deserve some good times ahead.

Grab your cup of coffee or tea and relax as you read this month’s edition of The Blind Perspective. We once again have an international Perspective article, a feature article on Androids, a couple of sponsors, and an introduction from the author of the new braille segment. But also, with that, are the many other articles full of entertaining, educational, and great information.

All of us would love to hear from you. Email us what you like, dislike, suggestions, comments, and submit your stories.

Read on and enjoy!

Remember you can also choose to listen to our audio version of the newsletter, link below:
 <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Flo39qq6kkzppbw8%2FThe%2520Blind%2520Perspective%25202020%2520-%252009.mp3%3Fdl%3D1&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088855112&sdata=jQoSAnczXsNeyEqzpjdei%2FP962lnzyFfwvHKir4EmZE%3D&reserved=0> TheBlind Perspective September 2020Audio

At A Glance: Auction Auction and Tumblers, Rita's List, Lookout, Seychelles, HIIT, Beaches, Introduction, Changes, Filters, New Purchase, Herbs, Baking Soda, Acne, Vegetable Pie, Riddle & Brain Buster!

Sponsor of the Month

Out-of-Sight

Come Be a Part of our Worldwide Community!

We are a group of blind fun-loving, congenial, and interesting people from all over the world, who use our screen-readers and microphones to play games, chat, learn, and socialize on our own internet TeamTalk server.

We have a full schedule of activities every day and evening and you can drop in whenever you wish. We display our musical talents and play music in our music rooms. You can get help with your computer, your iPhone, your cooking, and even stop in and exercise, or just simply have fun! We also have a book-discussion group and Bible groups. If spinning tunes is more your style, come and DJ for us on our very own internet radio station, Out-Of-Sight Radio!

We also invite you to join us for one of our premier events, our Fall Auction, which will be held on Saturday, September 26, so sign up, and be sure to check out our awesome list of auction items!

There is no end to the stimulation, excitement, and camaraderie you will experience. To join us, simply go to our home page at:  <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.out-of-sight.net%2F&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088855112&sdata=1QMQ1WkyBoWV%2B15RgZO91OODg6Z1tFTV1k%2FvxuQPqkg%3D&reserved=0> Out-Of-Sight.net
Click on “Join our Community”. Then, fill out the form titled, “Join Us”.

To listen to Out-Of-Sight Radio, or become a DJ, go to:  <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.out-of-sight.net%2Fradio&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088865069&sdata=Ew88xt7yO6WbqsoRP5jrhsjjXg6b7C9QBXhwnHtDBRg%3D&reserved=0> Out-Of-Sight.net/Radio

We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to our community!

Sponsor of the Month

Beautifully Personalized On the Go Tumblers,/p> Hi friend, it’s Jenn from Out West Gifts! I'm excited to share the news with you! I reached my first goal of selling 100 cool personalized tumblers for a lot of fun people! When I started my Etsy shop I had no idea what to expect. Would people like my stuff? Would they sell?

celebrate the first, of what I hope will be many milestones, I want to say “thank you” in a tangible way! Beginning today, September 1, through September 30, I am offering a 10 percent discount for each of my cups sold! Just use the code: URA10, to receive this special offer!

My passion is personalizing really cool, high grade, on-the-go drinking cups, with lids and straws. These are perfect for a walk on the beach, a road trip, a fun night out or, as a gift for your bestie. Honestly, you can take them anywhere! You have a choice of personalizing the tumbler with either your name or a themed design in various areas around the cup. You will also have the opportunity to select your font style and color.

In addition to my bestselling 16 ounce, skinny pastel colored tumblers, I will soon be featuring one-of-a-kind clear, color changing cups—a brand new product in the world of makers!

I appreciate your support and I thank you for choosing me to create that perfect gift for you, a family member, or special friend!

 <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etsy.com%2Fshop%2FOutWestGifts&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088865069&sdata=N0XhAzUidkbek8XbHVtU18O7ukFp4EDnWkgs1PtH9KE%3D&reserved=0> Etsy.com/Shop/OutWestGifts

OutWestGifts at gmail.com <mailto:OutWestGifts at gmail.com>

Instagram: @HelloOutWest

Movers & Shakers

By Karen Santiago
KarenXSantiago at msn.com <mailto:KarenXSantiago at msn.com>

Below is a Q&A I had with Rita Howells. Some of you may recognize her name from “Rita’s IDevice Advice” list serv. Please read on to learn about this valuable resource for iDevice users.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
I earned a BS degree in Special Education teaching Blind children, and graduated with a Masters in Special Education teaching Blind Adults from Northern Illinois University.
I retired from the State of Illinois Bureau of Blind Services, with 32 years of experience in the blindness field: as a Rehabilitation Counselor and as a Public Service Administrator.

Since retiring from service with the Illinois Bureau of Blind Services, I have been training blind persons in the use of Apple iOS devices, and how to use VoiceOver built in speech synthesis.

I have been blind most of my life. I had a little vision from birth to about age 15, just enough vision to be dangerous! I finally realized that I needed to learn how to function as a blind person, using blindness competency skills, if I was ever going to be independent and be able to earn a living.

What motivated you to start “Rita's iDevice Advice”?
Several years ago, a friend of mine, Denny Huff, who is a technology trainer in Missouri, started an "e-mail Listserv called the "iDevices list". He asked me to assist in moderating the list. Well, now I had an chance to continue "Rehabilitation teaching" on this listserv platform. I was just starting to learn how to use my Apple iPhone and wanted to share what I was learning.

What topics do you cover in your articles?
Anything related to Apple iOS devices and using VoiceOver, is up for discussion. This forces me to try to keep current with the Apple software and hardware.

Do you take suggestions?
Yes, many people send me e-mails related to suggestions for future "Rita's iDevice" articles. I also get inspired when I am trying to perform a task myself on my iPhone and want to create a step by step description as how I could teach another VoiceOver user to master the task.

How long have you been doing this?
I got an iPhone 4 in 2011 and this was my first exposure to VoiceOver and a smart phone. What amazes me is that there are always new things to learn and how much of the world has opened up to me and so many other blind persons with an Apple iOS device. Apple devices running iOS software and VoiceOver are truly a life changing technology that has had a significant impact for people with visual impairments. I have been developing a "set up list" and curriculum for training with VoiceOver, and I have been using these tools to assist blind persons in their desired goals in learning to use their iOS devices.

The things that persons who are blind can now do with their iPhones are almost endless. Tasks such as: Sending text messages and emails, identifying money denominations correctly, identifying colors, accessing the news and weather from a local or national newspaper, catching up on the latest technology via podcast, play games, create lists and scan documents, take pictures, create grocery lists, have an address book at their fingertips, set up reminders for meetings, birthdays and anniversaries, find a recipe, read a book or magazine, attend a college lecture, check on stocks, search the web, or listen to any radio station. Now persons who are visually impaired do not have to buy separate speech synthesis software which can cost 1,000 dollars or more. With this technology, a person who is blind can now engage in society, just as a sighted person uses their electronic devices. The acquisition of VoiceOver gestures and successfully using an Apple iOS device can greatly enhance the independent living success of persons who are blind.

What is behind the success of "successful blind adults"? A visually impaired Person's success is determined by their motivation, and utilizing life changing technology such as an iPhone. "The only drawback I have seen with discovering the world through using my iPhone is a reaction by my husband Tony. He told me he's considering changing his name to 'iTony' so he will get some time with his wife!"

Where would our readers find your articles?
I produce a "Rita's iDevice Advice article each Monday. You can receive these articles by signing up for the "iDevices" listserve. "iDevices" e-mail list serv. Here you can ask questions about iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and related apps and accessories. People also bring their Apple TV, Apple Watch, and HomePod questions.

subscription address is, iDevices+Subscribe at Groups.io <mailto:iDevices+Subscribe at Groups.io>

How can one get/ sign up for your articles?
You can receive these articles by signing up for the "iDevices" listserve.
subscription address is, iDevices+Subscribe at Groups.io <mailto:iDevices+Subscribe at Groups.io>

Final Thoughts:
There is a learning curve when a blind person is learning how to use their Apple iOS device with VoiceOver. It is critical to learn VoiceOver gestures.
Note: You can access all the VoiceOver gestures right on your Apple iOS device. Go to Settings, Accessibility, VoiceOver, Commands, and navigate to the "Touch Commands" button and open this to learn all the VoiceOver touch gestures.

Is there anything else you would like to add?
I am part of a team of volunteers called the TTJ Tech Team. The Tech Juggernaut has a team of instructors who are either certified Apple Teachers or who have equivalent experience. Each year, we offer FREE courses on using Apple products to any interested participants. While our courses are for anyone, we do include a particularly strong emphasis on the VoiceOver screen reader.

The Tech Juggernaut, offers something truly remarkable for free. Webinars are conducted live via Zoom conferencing software. They are packed with instruction, and each presentation is followed by a question and answer period with the TTJ Team of volunteers. We are offering several courses this Fall 2020 through Spring of 2021.

This is one of the courses:
TTJTECH.net Course: Learning Voiceover In and Out - 2020 iOS Edition. Every Monday and Wednesday from Monday October 12 through Wednesday December 23, 2020. Follow the TTJTECH.net Blog at  <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttjtech.net%2F&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088875025&sdata=uhX9bOn%2FTypqX%2B7OyJHFbMajoxfRbUdPDyp%2FoMqsyRE%3D&reserved=0> TTJTech.net

You can sign up for courses by signing up at the TTJTECH.net blog.

Links:
The "iDevices" listserve, subscription address is, iDevices+Subscribe at Groups.io <mailto:iDevices+Subscribe at Groups.io>

TTJTECH.net e-mail blog; the Tech Juggernaut
Follow the TTJTECH.net Blog at  <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttjtech.net%2F&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088875025&sdata=uhX9bOn%2FTypqX%2B7OyJHFbMajoxfRbUdPDyp%2FoMqsyRE%3D&reserved=0> TTJTech.net

Android

By Casey Mathews

Use Lookout To Explore Your Surroundings

Before we dive into all of the features of this amazing app, I would like to let you know that currently, this is an Android only app. Also, much of the information I’m showing here has been pulled from Google’s help pages on accessibility. With that out of the way, let’s begin!

When I started using this app, I thought at first that this was just another object recognition and text scanning app. I was very surprised to discover that this app instantly began describing what was around me without me needing to take a picture first. When you first open the app, you’re in a kind of exploration mode that allows you to move your Android phone around, and either read text as the camera sees it, or describe what it sees, such as “computer monitor”. Lookout also has modes for shopping and reading, more about this later.

Note: Lookout is currently available in English in the United States for supported devices (Google Pixel; Samsung S6, S7, S8, S9, S10; LG G7, G8) running Android 5 and above. Learn how to check your Android version.

Lookout is an Android app that uses computer vision to assist people who are blind or have low vision in gaining information about their surroundings.

Lookout uses the camera and sensors on your device to recognize objects and text, and then gives you spoken feedback, earcons, and other signals to inform you about what it sees. Lookout doesn’t speak everything in your view, but looks for important things that you might care about.

Lookout is designed for extended use (1–2 hours or more). With the camera facing outward, the device can hang from a lanyard around your neck, sit in a shirt pocket, or be held in your hand.

Step 1: Install and turn on Lookout
1. Download Lookout on Google Play.
2. Start Lookout using one of these options:
Say “Ok Google, start Lookout.”
•Tap Lookout.

Step 2: Start using Lookout
Lookout automatically starts when you open the app. You’ll hear a start-up tone indicating that Lookout is active.

Use Lookout modes
Lookout has 4 modes that you can use while you’re doing different activities:
Explore: For daily tasks, chores, and new places. By default, Lookout starts in the Explore mode.
Shopping: For barcodes and currency.
Quick read: For sorting mail, reading signs and labels.
Scene description: Hear an instant description of a single image.

To choose the Lookout mode that matches your current activity, go to the Select Mode tab.
To go to the Select Mode tab from the Camera tab, swipe left. (If TalkBack is on, 2-finger swipe.)
Place your camera facing out.
When you start using Lookout, find a comfortable place to put your device. The back of the device should point away from you, so the camera faces outward.
Remember that you don’t need to frame objects with your camera: Lookout uses a continuous vision system as your device hangs around your neck or sits in your pocket. From whatever position you choose, Lookout watches for objects and automatically speaks them to you.

Pause and resume Lookout
If you’re wearing your device:
Pause Lookout by holding your hand flat against the camera on the back of your device for 2 seconds until you hear the pause tone.
Resume Lookout by knocking twice on the back of your device, near the top. If you don’t get a response, check that Pause & resume gestures is on, then try knocking harder. (
Learn how to turn on Pause & resume gestures under “Change settings” below.)

If you’re holding your device and using on-screen controls:
To pause or resume Lookout, tap Stop. (If TalkBack is on, double-tap.) You’ll hear the pause tone when Lookout is paused.

Try Lookout features
After you start using Lookout, try the options below to find what works best for your current activity.
Use the fingerprint sensor
Fingerprint sensor controls are convenient while you’re using Lookout, since the fingerprint sensor is facing outward along with the camera.
To turn on fingerprint controls for Lookout, turn on the Lookout accessibility service:
1. Open your device’s Settings app.
2. Select Accessibility, then Lookout.
3. Turn on Lookout, and accept the permissions.

The fingerprint sensor works for the following controls:
Mode selection: Swipe the fingerprint sensor to the left from the Camera view to scroll through Lookout modes. To select a mode, knock twice on your device.

View recent items: Swipe the fingerprint sensor to the right from the Camera view to scroll through recent results. To hear details, swipe up on the sensor.

Use a Bluetooth controller
You can set up a wireless controller (such as a game controller) to control Lookout. This option can be useful if you’re wearing your Android device.
To configure Bluetooth:
1. Open your device’s Settings app.
2. Select Accessibility, then Lookout.
3. Select Settings, then Bluetooth keys.
4. Assign buttons on the Bluetooth controller to different Lookout functions.

Change the detail level
You can change the detail level in Lookout if you’d like to hear more or less information about each item.
To change the detail level while you’re using Lookout:
1. In the Camera tab, select Change detail level.
2. Choose Low, Medium, or High (default).
Note: At the low detail level, Lookout might only read a few words of text. To get the rest of the text, go to the Recent tab.

Change settings
Lookout has features that make it easy to use for long periods of time. These features let you wear your device on a lanyard or in a shirt pocket and use Lookout without interacting with the screen.

By default, the following features are on when you start using Lookout:
Pause & resume gestures: Knock twice on the back of your device to start Lookout, and cover the camera with your hand to pause Lookout.
Auto-disable screen: Automatically dims the screen and disables touch when the device is worn (for example, in a shirt pocket) and the proximity sensor is covered.

To change your settings:
1. Open your device’s Settings app.
2. Select Accessibility, then Lookout.
3. Select Settings.
4. Turn on or turn off Pause & resume gestures or Auto-disable screen.

Review recent results
On the Recents tab, you can review a history of items that Lookout has detected.
To review your results:
1. From the Camera tab, swipe left to right. (If TalkBack is on, 2-finger swipe.)
2. Scroll through your results one at a time.
3. Select an item to get details.

Conclusion
As I said before, I’ve had a wonderful experience using this app. I find it very intuitive, one example of this being the controls to start and stop description. I am eager to try updates to this app.

International Perspective

Seychelles by Brigitte Lablache
KarenXSantiago at msn.com <mailto:KarenXSantiago at msn.com>

A Bit about Seychelles:
I come from Seychelles, a country in the Indian Ocean, near Mauritius, Madagascar and Reunion. Our population is 95,000. We have very warm climate and sometimes it gets very hot and humid. We have two seasons, the northeast monsoon and the southeast monsoon. During the northeast monsoon the temperature is 32 degrees and during the southeast monsoon it is 28 degrees. Our main attractions are our lovely beaches, botanical garden and the different Islands. Blind Schools:
There are no blind Schools in Seychelles. However, there is a government school for the exceptional child and we have been allocated a classroom at the school where a few blind children attend. There used to be a blind experienced teacher at the School to teach the children Braille and other subjects but ever since the teacher retired, there is no teacher to teach the children Braille which is very sad.

Mobility is not taught at the school.
There are no sport activities for the blind at the School.
At the moment, attendance to university is not encouraged.
We do not have programs for job training.

Benefits:
All persons with a disability are receiving a disability benefit and we’re very grateful for that.

Technology:
There are no programs to help us obtain the technology that we need. However, what I have received as regards to technology I have received the help elsewhere by my own effort. I must say, I’m a very determined person who has never given up in life.

Transportation:
People with disabilities get access to public transport and it is not separate for the disabled. We travel for free on public buses. Blind individuals can get sighted assistance if needed. There are no audio announcements on public buses.
There are no trains in Seychelles.

Walking:
There are no tactile strips or curb cuts in the sidewalks. The traffic lights have no audio signals.

Guide Dogs:
There are no guide dogs Schools in Seychelles.

Braille:
There is no Braille displayed in public or on elevators. Restaurant menus are not available in braille. We can’t get documents and/ or papers in a braille format.

Reading Service:
Unfortunately, we don’t have a library for talking books or braille books. However, I have my own talking book library at home. I get my talking books from relatives and friends from overseas and I use a CD player to listen to them.

Organizations for the Blind:
We have a blind Association called Seychelles Association of the Blind and Visually Impaired. This organization is not active at the moment. Blind people in Seychelles are simply not interested. No matter how much I reach out to them, still they are not interested.

Thoughts:
I find some members of the public to be ignorant and they are not helpful at all. But, on the other hand, I must say there are people who are caring, helpful, and willing to offer their assistance if needed.

I feel that some people regard us as somebody with a mental problem because we cannot see. For example, they think that we cannot decide for ourselves. For instance, when we go to certain restaurants, the waitress will speak to the sighted person who is accompanying us and she thinks that we cannot place the order ourselves. This is very frustrating.

I feel the government is not giving us enough support. I feel they can do a lot more to facilitate the life of a Visually Impaired person. The buildings should be more accessible and we should have more footpaths.

Read on to read a more personal view from Brigitte:
My name is Brigitte Lablache and I come from Seychelles. I’m 52 years old and was born blind. The cause of my blindness is RP and there are 3 of us blind in my family. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to have a proper education since there are no Schools for the blind in Seychelles. I attended a normal School up to primary 3 but I did not learn much as there were no qualified teachers to teach a blind student. With the support of my parents, I persevered and learned things the hard way.

When I was 15, I had the opportunity to learned Braille grade 1 which was a great help for me. I was able to attend private lessons and was able to do my lessons in Braille.

In 1985, I attended a social rehabilitation course at the NAB Workshop for the blind in India. During the 10 weeks I was there, I took a telephone training and learned Braille grade 2.

In 1988, I was employed as a telephone operator and did the job for 27 years. I must say, I loved my job very much and gained a lot of experience and I also trained my sighted colleagues.

Life for me as a blind person, hasn’t been easy but with determination, I managed to overcome all obstacles. I feel proud of what I have achieved in life. Technology has changed my life tremendously. I’m now using an iPhone and I’m able to go on the internet and use different applications to facilitate my life. I must say, the iPhone is like my eyes and I cannot survive without it. I love singing and playing the guitar, reading, and spending time with my blind friends.

Exercise, does a body good

By Dan Kiely
Hawkeye8458 at yahoo.com <mailto:Hawkeye8458 at yahoo.com>

Welcome back to September’s edition of an Exercise Does A Body Good!
In This month I am featuring an interesting exercise program called HIIT. What is HIIT? hiit stands for high intensity interval training. HIIT is also known as high intensity intermittent exercise. interval training (SIT), is a form of interval training, a cardiovascular exercise strategy alternating short periods of intense anaerobic exercise with less intense recovery periods, until too exhausted to continue.

Equipment needed: loose fitting exercise clothes, you can exercise with or without workout shoes, and an exercise mat.

If you’ve yet to try a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) cardio workout, consider this your invitation. Trainers everywhere love them because they’re usually fast, always efficient, and can be adjusted to just about any level of expertise. The only real key? Just move as fast as is challenging for you. You’ll get the best results when you’re actually making yourself breathless as you do each exercise. Below is just an example of a high intensity interval training.

This six-move workout below will certainly get you there. Some of the exercises in the circuit are higher impact, but they can be easily modified to be lower impact.

For Butt Kickers, try marching in place, focusing on using your core to pull your knees up to hip height each step.
For Pop Squats, do a classic squat and remove the hop.
For Skaters, you can skip the jump and just take a wide step to each side instead.
If reverse lunges hurt your knees, try doing static lunges (or split squats) instead. To do these, you’ll begin with your feet in a staggered stance and then bend both knees to 90 degrees to drop into a lunge. You’ll do all the reps on one side, then repeat on the other. (For the purposes of the timed workout below, if you decide to do your lunges that way, you could do circuits 1 and 3 on the right side and circuits 2 and 4 on the left.)

Whether or not you are modifying the exercises, make sure you do a short warm-up first. Then get started with the workout.

Workout Directions:
Do each move in this HIIT cardio workout below for your selected interval. At the end of each circuit, rest for 60 seconds. Each circuit will be seven minutes total, including the rest period. Do the entire circuit four times for a total of 28 minutes. Note: You can easily adjust the length of this workout by simply adding or eliminating a circuit.

Option 1: 30 seconds of work, 30 seconds of rest
Option 2: 45 seconds of work, 15 seconds of rest
This is just a sample of a HIIT workout. You can develop your own HIIT workout program, such as doing a 30 seconds upper body exercise, and then do a 30 seconds lower body exercise.
The HIIT program will get your heart rate up there, you will sweat, burn calories and fat.

If you have an exercise story that you would like to share with the Blind Perspective readers, then send it to me at my email address above. I would love to hear and share your stories about such things as weight loss, recommended exercise programs, exercise equipment, or anything exercise related. So, let’s get creative, move, and sweat.

Health Tip of the Month:
With the summer days coming to an end, we should continue to wear sunglasses to protect our eyes from the glaring sun shine. However, if it is not summer where you live, you should still wear sunglasses on those bright sunny days, even if it is wintertime. By wearing sunglasses, it will protect your cornea.
When picking out sunglasses for maximum eye protection, be sure to consider the following:
*They block 100% of UV rays
*Bigger is better; oversized or wrap around are good choices
*Color doesn’t matter; they don’t block more sun, they may however, have better contrast
*Polarized lenses cut glare not UV

So, let’s wear our shades, be creative, move, and sweat.
Until next time, remember Exercise Does A Body Good!

Have I Got A Story For You

By Carla Jo Bratton
CarlaJoBratton at gmail.com <mailto:CarlaJoBratton at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Bibliophiles,
Here we are in September and my happy self hasn’t hit a beach this summer! Oh, well, let’s hit the beach together in these 2 books I have for you this month. Very different beaches, true, but near the water just the same. Let’s get booking!

Sunset Beach
Written by Mary Kay Andrews
Reading time:14 hours and 34 minutes
CELA doesn’t have this one, but they do have Deep Dish by this author and I liked it just as well
DB95236

Pull up a lounge chair and have a cocktail at Sunset Beach. It comes with a twist. Drue Campbell’s life is adrift. Out of a job and down on her luck, life doesn’t seem to be getting any better when her estranged father, Brice Campbell, a flamboyant personal injury attorney, shows up at her mother’s funeral after a 20year absence. Worse, he’s remarried to Drue’s eighth grade frenemy, Wendy, now his office manager. And they’re offering her a job.

It seems like the job from hell, but the offer is sweetened by the news of her inheritance her grandparents’ beach bungalow in the sleepy town of Sunset Beach, a charming but storm damaged eyesore now surrounded by waterfront McMansions. With no other prospects, Drue begrudgingly joins the firm, spending her days screening out the grifters whose phone calls flood the law office. Working with Wendy is no picnic, either. But when a suspicious death at an exclusive beach resort nearby exposes possible corruption at her father’s firm, she goes from unwilling cubicle rat to unwitting investigator and is drawn into a case that may or may not involve her father. With an office romance building, a decades old missing persons case reopened, and a cottage in rehab, one thing is for sure at Sunset Beach: There’s a storm on the horizon.

My comments; You can’t go wrong with a Mary Kay Andrews story! The descriptions of the hotel and other houses on the beach are wonderful. This is a warm, funny story that lets us all know we are human and capable of both regrets and redemption.

Sharon H. wrote in to recommend books by Catherine Anderson, here is what she has to say:
I don’t know if you have read anything by Catherine Anderson. Her books are often placed in Oregon where she lives with lots of references to ranch and rural life. She has written several books featuring individuals with disabilities such as Phantom Waltz and Here to Stay. There was one about a woman who is visually impaired, but I have to admit I don’t remember the title. I just read one about a man who is deaf, Huckleberry Lake and am currently reading the book that preceded it, Strawberry Hill which introduces the characters in Huckleberry Lake. All are available on BARD. Not knowing some of the aspects of deaf life, I am not sure of the accuracy of these books, but Catherine apparently does her research and I found the issues of the deaf man to be interesting and perhaps accurate. Carla Jo, I hope you and others will enjoy Catherine’s books.
Sharon, I agree completely, several folks I know, including my Mom, love her books. The one that Sharon mentions is from the Mystic Creek Series. Thanks so much for writing in.

The Glass Hotel
Written by Emily St. John Mandel
Reading time:10 hours and 28 minutes
CELA has it in every size
DB98955

>From the award winning author of Station Eleven, an exhilarating novel set at the glittering intersection of two seemingly disparate events a massive Ponzi scheme collapse and the mysterious disappearance of a woman from a ship at sea. Vincent is a bartender at the Hotel Caiette, a five star lodging on the northernmost tip of Vancouver Island. On the night she meets Jonathan Alkaitis, a hooded figure scrawls a message on the lobby's glass wall: "Why don't you swallow broken glass." High above Manhattan, a greater crime is committed: Alkaitis is running an international Ponzi scheme, moving imaginary sums of money through clients' accounts. When the financial empire collapses, it obliterates countless fortunes and devastates lives. Vincent, who had been posing as Jonathan's wife, walks away into the night. Years later, a victim of the fraud is hired to investigate a strange occurrence: A woman has seemingly vanished from the deck of a container ship between ports of call.

In this captivating story of crisis and survival, Emily St. John Mandel takes listeners through often hidden landscapes: campgrounds for the near homeless, underground electronica clubs, the business of international shipping, service in luxury hotels, and life in a federal prison. Rife with unexpected beauty, The Glass Hotel is a captivating portrait of greed and guilt, love and delusion, ghosts and unintended consequences, and the infinite ways we search for meaning in our lives.

My comments; Put your behind in the sand and your toes in the water for this one. True to her other books, Emily St. John Mandel dives in, and she dives deep. I loved reading all about the island in Vancouver. Not to mention, the complex characters, the mysteries and the broad sweep of this novel. It has it all.

Until we meet again book people, please stay safe, take care of each other and share a book with a friend, or a stranger, you might make a new friend.
Happy reading, Carla jo.

Connecting the Dots

By Tonya Johnson
JohnsonTonyaJ at gmail.com <mailto:JohnsonTonyaJ at gmail.com>

Hello readers! Many people I meet without sight or with low vision are divided on Braille. They want to know if it is hard to learn. Some have tried and given up. Some have learned and choose not to use Braille. Others, like me, have a passion for learning and using Braille.

My name is Tonya and I am getting ready to submit my final manuscript to become a CBT, a certified Braille Transcriptionist. I have opened my own transcription business out of my home, but my passion for Braille needs an outlet. I want to share with everyone how wonderful it is to be able to use Braille. Before I started transcription, I was thrilled at the independence Braille gifted to me. I could find things throughout my home independently, order food, and continue a much-loved hobby, reading, even after I could not make out print anymore. Braille has given me joy and security as I slowly lose my vision to retinitis pigmentosa.

Do you have questions about how you can use Braille, reading Braille, or general transcription? I welcome those questions and not only would I be glad to help, I might turn it into an article!

Join me every few months as I discuss with readers how to learn braille, practical ways you can use it at home and work, and how to help others along the way. Braille is not only for the blind. Braille is for anyone who can use tactile input to assist them. It is time we get the word out.

This month, I would like to talk about the importance of knowing dot numbers. Most of us know that a full Braille cell is made up of six dots: 1,2,3 on the left and 4,5,6 on the right. From there, you can use the combinations to make individual letters: A-1; B-1,2; C-1,4 and so on. The reason for memorizing these numbers is several benefits: First, you don’t have to look it up. You can touch Braille and say the dot numbers to yourself if you are not quite sure what is there. It also assists with contracted Braille learning. Many of UEB (Unified English Braille) contractions use a letter in a combination of some sort and that gives clues to the word for which it stands. The dot numbers help with the use of a slate and stylus in which you write from right to left, directly across from the way you read Braille from left to right. I am sure our readers can come up with many more benefits. But no matter what, we must learn these number combinations and practice reciting them each and every time it is applicable. Overall, it helps us to become better braille readers and writers.

Until next time, keep practicing those dot numbers. If I can help you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at my email address above, and I will be happy to do whatever I can.

The Guide Dog Journey

By Tammy Lynn
Tammy at Insights4Life.net <mailto:Tammy at Insights4Life.net>

Changing with These Changing Times

Happy September and welcome once again to the guide dog journey.

Since I’ve had several discussions and questions over the past few months regarding Covid-19, I thought it would be helpful to write once again about enduring this pandemic with our faithful canine partners.

One issue that dog handlers are expressing some concern about is social distancing when out in public. Of course, our dogs do not know what it means to social distance and since we cannot see exactly how close we are to others, this can be a challenge. Kindly educating others about the fact that your dog is just doing his job and doing your best to listen and try to keep track of your distance from others is a good approach. Also, it is important to not spend time worrying about things that are out of your control or any mistakes that may happen. We are all doing the best we can. Maintaining proper hand-washing and face coverings will help protect yourself and others. Beyond that, patience with your dog, the public and yourself will go a long way.

Another issue dog handlers are expressing some concern about is getting their dog enough exercise. As we are not all going to school or work as usual, you may be concerned about your dog not getting enough work or enough exercise. Although this is a valid concern, there are things we can do to help exercise and keep our dogs sharp. One thing is to give your dog plenty of play time and attention each day. Play is great exercise and a terrific bonding experience for you and your dog. Changing out toys, maybe purchasing a new toy or two and finding new games to play like hide and seek can switch things up and keep play time interesting for both of you.

Another important thing you can do is work your dog on routes around your neighborhood. Although this can seem monotonous and routine, reversing routes or finding alternate routes can keep work skills sharp.

Another thing to keep your dog active is to do regular obedience routines each day. Dogs do enjoy pleasing their owners and keeping obedience skills up is going to improve your dog’s behavior in and out of harness. Remember, happy play time after obedience is a great reward for a job well done.

It also may be a good idea to stock up on your dog’s food and care supplies. Although you do not need to go overboard with this, having an extra on hand may help in case of any supply shortage or transportation or shipping issues?

Another thing that may look a little different during the virus is veterinary care. At my vet, no humans other than staff are allowed inside the vet clinic. The doctor comes outside to speak with me and takes my dog inside with her. She will call me after examining my dog to discuss her findings and additional treatment that may be needed. Although this type of vet visit can be stressful and a big change for you and your dog, developing a good relationship between you, your dog and your vet can go a long way to ease any anxiety surrounding the visits.

T-touch and massage are a great modality to relieve stress and anxiety for both you and your dog. This can only help both of you during these stressful times.

I hope these tips and suggestions will increase your comfort and safety. Thank you for reading. As always, please write to me with any questions or comments.
Until next time, stay safe and enjoy the journey!

Spencer's Spotlight

By Cheryl Spencer
CherylSJX at BellSouth.net <mailto:CherylSJX at BellSouth.net>

Wow, can you believe we are still dealing with this virus! It just keeps on spreading. Well, thankfully, it is no longer the killer it was in the beginning. However, that's not what this article is about this month.

Since we are still dealing with the virus, and the impact by way of paper product shortages or price gouging of these essential everyday items, I would like to share with you an interesting tidbit that was sent to me by way of and email from the "CodyKitchen."

This may help extend the shelf life of some of our most frequently used disposables. They are cost effective and as you will see, very useful to always have on hand. Aside from holding your coffee grounds, here is quite a list of some other ways a coffee filter can be useful around the house. You may never think of coffee filters in the same way ever again. Who would have thought something so simple could be so?

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave.
2. Clean windows, mirrors, and chrome. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect China by separating your dishes with a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter and apply.
7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.
10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from leaking through the drainage holes.
11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter, then slip the stick through.
12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.
13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc. on them. It soaks up all the grease.
14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers".
15. Use as a sewing backing. Use a filter as an easy-to-tear backing for embroidering or to applique soft fabrics.
16. Put baking soda into a coffee filter and insert into shoes or a closet to absorb or prevent odors.
17. Use them to strain soup stock and to tie fresh herbs in to a filter to put in soups and stews.
18. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your car.
19. Use them as a spoon rest while cooking and cleaning up small counter spills.
20. Can use them to hold dry ingredients when baking or when cutting fruits or veggies, which Saves on having extra bowls to wash.
21. Use them to wrap Christmas ornaments for storage.
22. Use them to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls.
23. Use them to sprout seeds. Simply dampen the coffee filter, place seeds inside, fold it and place it into a plastic baggie until they sprout.
24. Use coffee filters as blotting paper for pressed flowers. Place the flowers between two coffee filters and put the coffee filters in a heavy book, like the phone book.
And my favorite,
25. Use as a disposable "snack bowl" for popcorn, chips, etc.

If all you ever end up doing with your coffee filters is making coffee, you will at least know they are so so much more!

APPetizers: Byte Size Tidbits to Help Master Your iDevice

By Darrin cheney
BlueBRLR at gmail.com <mailto:BlueBRLR at gmail.com>

Buying a New iPhone

My iPhone 7 is showing its age and won't hold a charge for very long. Plus, there are new features coming in iOS 14 that require a newer model. So, I bought a new iPhone. I’ll walk you through my purchase process and share what I’ve learned.

Getting Started
Apple releases a series of new iPhones every Fall. Deciding what to buy and when to bite the bullet can be very challenging, especially for many who are locked into a 2-Year wireless agreement. An iPhone is more than a phone, it's your personal assistant, communication system, game system, and a key tool to your independence.

Choosing a New iPhone
Buying a new iPhone is a personal choice. Here are some questions to consider when you make your decision. Will you make calls; send and read mail or messages; shoot and edit movies; create podcasts; or record music? How often will you charge your iPhone? Will you use your iPhone primarily on your cellular network or on a Wi-Fi network at home, work, or school? Do you want a small or large device? What quality of photos will you take? How much file storage do you need: 64MB, 128MB, or 256MB? How much money are you willing to pay for a new iPhone?

A standard iPhone with 64MB of storage should meet your needs for making calls, sending and receiving email and messages, taking pictures, listening to podcasts, etc. I prefer at least 128MB because I download a lot of music and books, and I save my files to my phone. An increase in memory will cost you extra. You can also attach a USB drive or use iCloud to store your files. Consider a “Pro” device with extra storage if you plan on taking a lot of "professional" photographs, make movies, or record podcasts. Take the time and educate yourself. Chat with an Apple Store agent and check out Apple.com for online resources about the iPhone and the latest iOS. Visit your wireless provider and get a demo. Talk with family and friends -- especially other blind iPhone users. Pick one task, like answer a phone call, send a message, or use the compass, and have someone show you how to do it. Finally, make sure you touch an iPhone before buying one.

Making the Choice
I bought a new 128GB iPhone 11 from my wireless provider. After researching and analyzing all of my options, I decided to buy an iPhone 11 now rather than wait for the iPhone 12. There are two iPhones that met my current needs: iPhone 11 or SE 2020. I chose the iPhone 11 over the SE 2020 because it has longer battery life, better Bluetooth connectivity, and a second wide-angle lens. I decided not to trade-in my iPhone 7 and I will use it on my Wi-Fi network at home.

The iPhone 11 allows 3.0 Quick Charging. According to Apple, you can fast charge up to 50 percent battery in around 30 minutes. The iPhone 11 allows wireless charging, so I bought a wireless charge pad and 3.0 Power Block from Amazon.com. My iPhone 11 battery lasts 2-3 days. Bluetooth reception is much better and I can leave my iPhone in the house and listen to my wireless ear pods in the garage or on the patio. I like Face ID to unlock my phone which is much easier than entering a passcode.

I downloaded the free IOS 13 User Guide from the Apple Book Store. It includes setup instructions, a table of VO gestures, braille commands, and keyboard commands. I was able to copy all of my settings, apps, and data from my iPhone 7 to my new iPhone 11 without much difficulty. The iPhone 11 does not have a Home Button. You use the Sleep/Wake button to activate Siri, engage VO, or authorize a purchase.

When you are ready to buy a new iPhone, decide what works best for you and your budget. Shop the Apple Store or consult your wireless provider. Sometimes Amazon.com, BestBuy, Walmart, and others have special deals because they buy in bulk. Expect an additional cost to have your Wireless carrier activate your phone and consider extending Apple Care + warranty to protect your investment. Buy a good case and get a screen protector. Finally, make sure you take the time to learn your new iPhone.

Final Thoughts
It’s amazing how fast technology keeps evolving. Take your time and do the research before you buy a new iPhone. I'm pleased with my iPhone 11 purchase and I look forward to using new features like Voice Control and SIRI commands. Good luck!

A Time to Plant

By Sue Brazel
ResearchSB at yahoo.com

Long after the growing season, herbs can flavor your food if they are preserved at harvest time. Two of the most common methods are drying and freezing.

Herbs should be cut after the dew has evaporated, when the plant is dry. During the growing season, cut plants like bay laurel just above a set of leaves. Flowering herbs, like cilantro, have blooms that should be pinched off to get the most production from your plant. Pick herbs from the outside edge so the central core has growing room. If you are harvesting something like chives, snip a clump of leaves a few inches above the ground; including the flowers if you enjoy their flavor and color.

At the end of the season, a whole annual herb plant can be pulled from the ground. Try to save some seeds to start next year’s crop. A perennial that dies back might need mulch for root protection in a colder climate. If you are harvesting a root crop, such as chicory or ginger, leave enough in the ground to allow growth the following year. Some plants, like rosemary can be harvested year-round if you live in most of the southern United States, but may have to be brought inside if you live where winters are severe. There are plant charts for each frost zone that describe how to take care of particular plants in your area.

One way to dry herbs is to gather a small bunch of the same plant type together, and rubber band or tie with twine. Hang that group upside down on a hook in a well-ventilated area out of direct sun. Check daily to see if they are dry; it should take only 3-4 days. Store the dried herbs, keeping leaves whole, in a jar with a label and date. Most herbs should be used within a year. Rosemary can be hung by the branch to dry; dried leaves should be plucked off the wood, then stored.

Dry plants with tiny leaves, such as thyme, on a screen or a sheet, keeping leaves as separated as possible. Check daily to see if they are dried.

In damp climates, quick drying with a microwave works. Sandwich herbs in a single layer between 2 sheets of paper towel. Microwave for 20 seconds at a time, rearranging leaves as needed. Leaves usually dry in 1-4 minutes. Make sure the herbs are cool before storing.

A food dehydrator works well for herb drying. Rotate your trays to ensure that plants dry. Only remove the completely dried product, and continue drying the rest. One quarter inch slices of onion can be placed on a tray. When dried, an onion can be chopped to make minced onion or ground to make onion powder.

Herbs can be frozen by blanching first. Place herbs in boiling water for several seconds, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Pat dry between towels, then place in labeled freezer bags. This method works well for leafy green herbs like basil and dill.

Herb ice cubes are refreshing and pretty. Fill ice cube trays half full with herbs, then top off with water. Freeze as normal. When completely frozen, pop each cube out, and place in freezer bags. Mint ice cubes or herbal flower ice cubes are great for iced tea!

Blend herb leaves and oil in blender or food processor, then freeze in ice cube trays. Pop out cubes, place in freezer bags. These are great to flavor soups or stews, but also great when thawed and mixed with dry crumbly cheese (think Parmesan cheese here) and nuts to make pesto.

Herb butters can be made by creaming chopped herbs in butter. Store this as you would store butter.

It’s now “thyme” to mix chopped thyme with butter and serve with homemade rolls!

Dirty Work

by Manny Morales
KarenXSantiago at msn.com

Baking Soda has the power to freshen and clean seemingly countless spots in your home. It's super effective, it’s a gentle abrasive, and it’s a great natural deodorizer. Baking soda is helpful in regular cleaning as well as all sorts of cleaning emergencies.

Oh yeah, and it is inexpensive!

Remove stains from plastic food containers
Leftovers have a way of leaving their mark. To freshen your containers, wipe with a clean sponge sprinkled with baking soda. Or erase tough stains by soaking in a solution of four tablespoons of baking soda and a quart of warm water.

Refresh a foul-smelling fridge
Never worry that last night's salmon will leave your fridge smelling, well, fishy for months to come again. Baking soda will absorb strong food odors so they don't linger or change the taste of neighboring foods. Just slightly open a new box of baking soda and place it on the center shelf, towards the back.

Clean store-bought fruits and veggies
Mixed with water, baking soda can remove dirt and that waxy coating that comes on produce from the supermarket. Rinse well and let air dry on some paper towels.

Revive stale-smelling sponges
Soak these kitchen staples in baking soda and water to freshen them up so you can use them a little longer. But remember, you should still toss your sponges every two to three weeks, depending on use.

Deodorize musty upholstery
Banish smells from the soft, cushy places around your house by sprinkling surfaces with baking soda, letting it sit for 15 minutes, then vacuuming it up.

De-stink pet beds
The same goes for Fido’s favorite place to sleep! Sprinkle, wait 15 minutes and vacuum.

Give new life to old toys
Naturally fight the effects of your little one's grubby hands by wiping them with a sponge dipped in a baking soda and water solution. Rinse well with warm water and let air dry on paper towels.

Scrub a crayon-covered wall
If your kids decided to showcase their art work on your painted walls, scrub lightly with a damp sponge sprinkled in baking soda.

Dust stuffed animals
These dust-collectors will be easier to clean if you place them in a large plastic bag with a cup of baking soda. Secure the top, take the bag outside and shake well. The baking soda helps draw out soil and dust. After you remove them from the bag, vacuum everything away.

Brighten dingy laundry
Both whites and colors will come out of the washing machine brighter if you add a cup of baking soda to your load. Combined with liquid detergent, it helps balance the pH levels to get clothes cleaner.

Refresh smelly sneakers
Freshen up after gym class by sprinkling some baking soda inside your shoes and your gym bag while you're at it. Just tap it out before you wear them again.

Eliminate garbage can odors
Place some baking soda in the bottom of your can to fight trash stink.

Here are a few more:
Clean up a garage oil spill
Got an offending spot on your concrete? Pour on a little baking soda and scrub with a wet brush to make it disappear.

Fight linen closet smells
Just like in the fridge, an open box of baking soda placed near your sheets and towels can fight musty smells.

Buff out white-water rings
If someone forgot their coaster and left a water ring on your coffee table, combine one-part white non-gel toothpaste with one-part baking soda. Dampen a cloth with water, add the mixture and rub with the grain to buff out the ring. Then take a dry cloth and wipe off. Use another soft cloth for a final shine and finish by polishing as you normally would.

Brighten dull jewelry
When your sterling silver stops shining, get rid of tarnish by making a paste (three parts baking soda to one-part water). Apply it with a lint-free cloth (not a paper towel, which can scratch) and then rinse clean.

So, until next time grab a box or two of baking soda and do some cleaning. Remember, dirty work is clean fun.

The Beauty Parlor

By Christy Ray
Christy.ARay at gmail.com

Masks are a Must!

Due to the pandemic and our new normal in lots of places masks are a must. With this comes un wanted acne! NO not that! You are thinking right?

This is helping us and others, but what about our skin? What is it doing to our skin? As we all know wearing a mask all day is not helpful to our lower face area, lips, and chin. The moisture is building up bacteria, oil, and dead skin cells have nowhere except into your pores to go, Yuck I know sounds gross, but it is what it is.

Some people already fight acne break outs and the “mask protector” is not protecting our skin. Even those who are not susceptible to skin problems can develop them in this situation because it’s the perfect environment for; acne breakouts, dermatitis, and rosacea flare ups. Your skin may also react to the fibers of the mask and ties on them.

Preventive tips:
•Try to use a mask with 100% cotton and antibacterial lining.
•Try to have multiple masks on hand to be able to wear a new one every day. You can have fun with it get different colors and patterns to match your outfit and your cane if you use one.
•Washing your masks after one use. If you see that the soap you normally use is too much for your face find a sensitive skin soap with no dyes or perfumes added.
•Brush your teeth and use mouth wash, which we should be doing already.
•Washing your face regularly and try to wash your face before putting on a mask.
•If you like wearing makeup try just focusing on your eyes and do not put makeup on the lower have of your face.
•Apply Aquaphor® in areas that may be susceptible to friction and chaffing such as ears & nose.
•To help with oil build up you can use antibacterial cleansing pads or oil removing pads.
•A couple of times a week you can gently exfoliate your face to help remove build-up.
•Use a non-comedogenic moisturizer.
•Different styles of masks can also help with friction and chaffing discomfort So have some with ear loops, behind the head loops and the tube style that goes over your whole head.
•Avoid using retinols, as these will make your skin sensitive.

Now let’s say that we tried all these guidelines and we still breakout! Why me! No not me!
Let’s try to treat our breakout.
•Use a salicylic or glycolic cleanser in the evenings to prevent new breakouts. Find out from your dermatologist which cleanser is best for your skin.
•Oil control pads with 2% salicylic acid in the evening may be helpful.
•Do Not Pick at any breakouts it will make your skin more irritated and more vulnerable for mor breakouts.
•Meet with someone to have a facial done.
•Go to a dermatologist that can help you.
•Apply a small amount of 1% hydrocortisone to red or swollen areas as needed. Use sparingly though; too much or too often can thin the skin.
•Once you are alone or safely back home remove your mask so that your face can breathe.

Hopefully we will have our old normal back and we can be rid of the masks but for now it is what it is. We will get through this all together.
Be safe until next time!

Cooking Concoctions

By Maxine
KarenXSantiago at msn.com

Ok, so I am sure those of you in the western hemisphere who have grown a vegetable garden have an overabundance of zucchini, or maybe your neighbor has pawned some off on you. Either way, here is a tasty recipe that calls for some of that zucchini! To my southern hemisphere readers, save this recipe for when you are overloaded with zucchini.

Zucchini Pie

Ingredients:
4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
3/4 stick butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 can crescent rolls

Directions:
Sauté zucchini and onions in butter.
Add spices.
Blend egg and cheese in bowl, add zucchini mixture.
Line deep dish pie pan or baking dish with rolls.
Fill with mixture and bake at 375 for 18 to 20 minutes.

Riddle & Brain Buster

By Alex Smart
KarenXSantiago at msn.com

Riddle

This is as light as a feather, yet no man can hold it for long. What am I?

Answer to August’s riddle:
Why is Europe like a frying pan?
Because it has Greece at the bottom

Brain Buster

Double Letters
Many famous people's names contain three pairs of double letters, like Johnny Appleseed and Jennifer Connelly. There are two famous fiction writers, one male, one female, whose names have four pairs of double letters. Name them.

Answers to August brain busters:
Opposite of big. Little.
Coffee made with hot, steamed milk. Latte.
A lavatory. Toilet.
Name, as of a book or movie. Title.
to dole out. A lot.
A place to insert an electric plug. Outlet.
A sweepstake game. Lotto
A for-rent sign, two-word answer. To let.
No holds barred; give one’s maximum effort. All out.
Means prevaricate or to fib, three-word answer. Tell a lie.
a snitch. Tattletale.

The Blind Perspective

Where we aim to keep you informed and entertained
 <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theblindperspective.net%2F&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088875025&sdata=c06nvpG3edUHJOfOeEkOuj38DdCoIyp1s1DeCm5cny8%3D&reserved=0> The Blind Perspective.net
Subscribe by sending an email to: TheBlindPerspective+subscribe at groups.io
And don't forget to like us on Facebook at  <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2FTheBlindPerspectiveNewsletter&data=02%7C01%7CSteve.Cook%40sccb.sc.gov%7Cfb695f39dd6e4eb626ae08d84e4a3cce%7Ce9f8d01480d84f27b0d6c3d6c085fcdd%7C1%7C0%7C637345428088884984&sdata=8Fbg5jwN8KpGbWU%2BLCTmOiOaz%2BgGkrdFx9DS1rmK8lI%3D&reserved=0> facebook.com/TheBlindPerspectiveNewsletter

Follow us on twitter: @BlindPerspectNL

Thank you for reading the Blind Perspective!

© 2015- present All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any way without the prior expressed written permission of The Blind Perspective.

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

Board member at large of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

 <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any of the below links!

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book

 <https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-SC-343263089815304/> Computer Science & Technology Division of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

 <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr> South Carolina Parents of Blind Children

Free White Cane Program

The National Federation of the Blind has distributed more than 64,000 free white canes since 2008.

The white cane gives blind people the ability to achieve a full and independent life, allowing us to travel freely and safely. We started our free white cane program because we believe that no blind person should be without a white cane, regardless of his or her ability to pay for it.

You can request a Free White Cane at the below link.

 <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-white-cane-program> Apply for a Free White Cane!