[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1825

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Aug 2 12:44:22 UTC 2021

August 2, 2021

Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1825

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

On Thursday, July 29, 18 blind teens walked across the stage in the chapel at Rocky Bottom as they received the certificate of graduation from summer teen 2021. They had an opportunity to ring a bell for their accomplishments over the last six weeks. They shared with the audience who included their family, staff from the SC Commission for the Blind, and the Successful Transitions’ team what they learned from summer teen, their favorite memories, and the experience with their summer internship. They sang “I Believe I Can Fly” which moved the audience to tears. Students, families and Commission staff enjoyed lunch with the teens. They left with mixed emotions, sad to be leaving their friends, and happy to see their families. This is not goodbye, but rather, see you later. Until we see you again, fly with the knowledge you have learned, and remember, blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future; live the life you want!

Update 65th Annual State convention

We currently have 112 individuals registered for the state convention in-person and 43 registered virtually! I want to thank all of you who have registered for our convention. We are going to have an amazing event, and we want everyone to be a part of it. Please remember, your name is not confirmed unless you have paid for the registration and also completed the form. We have several individuals who have sent money but have not completed the form, or, have completed the form for registration but have not paid. Please insure both are complete to insure your final registration. If you have not registered for our NFB of SC state convention which will be held hybrid at the North Charleston Marriott august 20-22 (many of us are arriving August 19), please consider attending with us virtually or in-person. Specific details about the convention, hotel rates, registration rates and more can be found later in this Positive Note. Also, thank you to our chapter and division presidents for insuring your members know the latest happenings in our affiliate and about our state convention. Let’s give everyone who wishes to attend our convention an opportunity, through transportation, Palmetto Grant for first-timers (see details later in the PN), and other creative ways, we want everyone who wants to attend to be with us August 20-22. We have increased our room block for Thursday, August 19, but please do not delay, once this block is full for this night, we may not be able to increase again. Our room block will be released to the public on July 29 which means you may not be guaranteed availability or convention rates so please do not delay in reserving your night at the North Charleston Marriott. If you are not able to get a room at the current convention rates, please call or email me. If you have ideas about convention agenda items, please let me know.

State convention rates are as follows:

Adults, $100 per person

College and graduate students, $60 per person

Students 18 and younger, $30 per person

Virtual Attendance, $30 per person

Palmetto Connects

Our next Palmetto Connects will be on Thursday, August 5 at 6:00 PM on the Federation zoom platform. During this time, we will also draw for the individual who registered between June 1 and June 30 for the state convention, as well as, the individual who secured their room at the Marriott in North Charleston during this time.

Movie Night Friday, August 6

Come join the National Federation of the Blind of SC for movie night on Friday, August 6, 2021, at 8:00 PM Eastern for audio described movie night!

In honor of the Summer Olympics, we will be showing the movie Cool Runnings! Below is more information about the movie.

Plot

In November 1987, Jamaican sprinter Derice Bannock trains to qualify for the 100 metres in the 1988 Summer Olympics. He fails to qualify when fellow runner Junior Bevil accidentally stumbles, knocking himself, Derice, and Yul Brenner down.

Derice vents his frustrations to Barrington Coolidge, the President of the Jamaica Olympic Association. He spots a photograph in Coolidge’s office, featuring his late father Ben, standing next to a fellow Olympic gold medal winner. Coolidge identifies the man as disgraced American bobsled medallist Irv Blitzer, who was disqualified for cheating in the 1972 Winter Olympics. Derice realises he could participate in the 1988 Winter Olympics by forming a bobsled team, recruiting his friend Sanka Coffie, a pushcart derby champion.

Blitzer, working in Jamaica as a bookie, at first refuses to help Derice, until learning he is Ben Bannock’s son. A recruitment drive fails, but the arrival of Junior and Yul allows Derice to form the required four-man bobsled team. The team train with Blitzer, though Coolidge refuses to fund the $20,000 needed to participate in the Olympics, believing the inexperienced team will bring shame to Jamaica. The team find various ways to raise the money, ranging from singing on the street to arm wrestling. Junior, who avoids telling his father about the team, sells his car to finance the trip to Canada.

In Calgary, Blitzer registers the team, receiving an old bobsled from his former teammate Roger. The Jamaicans struggle to drive the bobsled and adapt to the cold, though exercise and hard work eventually pay off. Derice begins to copy the techniques of the Swiss team. Sanka, Junior, and Yul get into a bar fight with the snobbish East German team, and are reprimanded by Derice.

The team successfully qualifies for the finals, only to be disqualified by the Olympic committee, as retribution for Blitzer’s prior cheating scandal. Blitzer confronts Kurt Hemphill, his former coach, now a judge in the committee, asking him not to punish the Jamaicans, as they had nothing to do with his cheating scandal. That night, the team are informed that they have been reinstated. On the night the Olympics formally open, Junior’s father arrives to retrieve his son, but Junior stands by his commitment to compete, earning Yul’s respect.

The team’s first day on the track is abysmal, finishing in last place. Sanka realises Derice is copying the Swiss team’s methods, and encourages the team to 'bobsled Jamaican'. They improve on the second day, finishing in eighth place. During their final race, one of the bobsled’s blades detaches, causing it to flip over and crash. Determined to finish the race, the Jamaicans pick up their bobsled and carry it across the finish line, earning the applause of the other teams and the spectators. An epilogue explains the team would return home as heroes, then return to the 1992 Winter Olympics to participate as equals.

Cast

John Candy as Irving "Irv" Blitzer

Leon Robinson (credited as Leon) as Derice Bannock

Doug E. Doug as Sanka Coffie

Rawle D. Lewis as Junior Bevil

Malik Yoba as Yul Brenner

Raymond J. Barry as Kurt Hemphill

Peter Outerbridge as Josef Grool

Paul Coeur as Roger

Larry Gilman as Larry

Charles Hyatt as Whitby Bevil

Winston Stona as Barrington Coolidge

Bertina Macauley as Joy Bannock

Kristoffer Cooper as Winston

Bob Del Torre as USA team Driver

Martin Hub as Czech Bobsled Driver

Filming locations

The film was shot in Calgary and Jamaica in February and March 1993. The cast and crew filmed in Calgary first, to take advantage of the snow. Then they filmed at the Jamaican parishes of Discovery Bay and Kingston.[1] Dawn Steel was on the set every day in Calgary and Jamaica. According to Robinson, "(Steel) worked on the second unit for a while, and she said 'Never again. I never want to direct.'"[3]

Chapter and Division Meetings

Some of you are now meeting in person. It is important to continue to let our Federation family know when and where you are meeting for chapter and division meetings as some of us may wish to join you in-person or virtually. Please insure Steve and I know when and where you are meeting so we can add to our calendar of events and to the Positive Note.

Please also remember per your constitution, you should be meeting once per month and have documented secretary meeting notes for each meeting.

We will be sending out all constitutions so that you have them. They had to be sent to nationals last fall. You are required to go by what is in the constitution regarding dues, meetings, etc. unless it is changed per the constitution guidelines. Those meeting notes regarding the constitution updates and constitution changes should be sent to me and Steve so that it can be submitted to nationals. Remember, if it is not in writing, it doesn’t exist.

Thank you for insuring our Palmetto affiliate knows when and where your meetings will be held. I know personally, I haven’t seen where a few of the chapters have given me times, dates, and locations. I need that information by Friday, August 6 so it can be published and to insure we are following constitutions.

Thank you for keeping us all up-to-date.

State Convention Welcome Bags

NFB of SC welcome bags have been ordered for state convention. Every registered in-person attendee will receive a welcome bag.

We need your help filling these bags. Thank you to those who have sent items.

Please send new items that you would want in our welcome bags. Hand sanitizers, snacks, bottles of water, water bottles, gift cards, cards for free this or that, etc. We would like to have all items at the center by August 13 so we can have a packing party. Currently, we have over 100 individuals registered for in-person.

The great thing, all bags are not the same! You can trade with a neighbor!

Please send items to the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

You may also make a donation by using pay pal on our site

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Please note welcome bag in the comment section.

Or, mail checks to the Federation Center made to the NFB of SC and note welcome bag in the memo line.

Let’s build the NFB of SC! Stronger together! U and I in Unity!

State Convention Banquet Fund-Raiser

Please remember we raise money for the NFB of SC during our banquet at the state convention. It is exciting to see we can raise $10,000 within an hour.

I am hopeful we can reach and even exceed that goal on August 21.

You may go ahead and send in banquet contributions to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Please insure checks are made to NFB of SC and note banquet fund-raiser.

You may also contribute using pay pal on our webpage at

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Please also note banquet fund-raiser in the comments section.

Contributions can come from chapters, divisions, individuals and businesses.

Thank you for considering your donation for our banquet on August 21.

As president of this affiliate, I would not ask you to do something I am not willing to do. I will be contributing $250 for the banquet, $100 for the scholarship fund, and at least $100 as a state convention sponsor.

My hope is that we will have 100% participation from all chapters and divisions, as well as, 100% participation from NFB of SC board members. Remember, as leaders, we lead by example and being on the board, being a chapter or division president means active participation with our attendance and our donations.

All contributors will be listed in a future Positive Note for our banquet.

Thank you for all you do to help the Palmetto affiliate lead with hope, love and determination. Stronger together!

State Convention Door Prizes

Thank you to those who have sent in door prizes for the state convention. You may send in a gift card or prize valued at $10 or more to the Federation Center, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may send a check made to the NFB of SC and note door prize and we will get  a door prize for you or your chapter or division, or we will turn it into a cash prize. We are looking for at least four $100 cash prizes to give out at special times during the convention. If you, your chapter, or your division wishes to contribute, please send info to the state office. Door prizes will be done electronically.

NFB of SC Fund-Raisers at State Convention

>From Debra Canty, Chair, NFB of SC Fund-raising Committee

We are raising funds for the South Carolina affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind…

PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Fundraising committee are raffling off 2 new Amazon Echo Dots 4th generation and a new 8-inch HD Amazon Fire tablet at the NFB of SC State Convention.

Tickets are $2 for 1 and $5 for 3. AND…for every $5 purchase, your name will go into a drawing for a $50 cash prize💰.  So go ahead and double, triple, or quadruple your chances of winning one or more of these three items. To purchase, please message me or email the # of tickets you want, the item you’d like to win, and your contact information. Payments can be made to:

$NFBSCFundraiser

Send email requests to:  nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com <mailto:nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com> .

Donations are welcome!  Thanks in advance for your support!!!

**Make sure to put the $ before NFBSCFundraiser**

Please share and forward this email far and wide as appropriate.

Please reach-out to Andrew Adams (Who’s regulating the emails and CASHAPP information) or a committee member with your support of purchasing tickets in groups of doubles, triples or quads in this statewide fundraising effort to help improve the quality of life for the blind and sight impaired.

Thank you,

Debra Canty,

Chairperson of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Fundraising Committee

>From David Rebocho, President, Sports and Rec Division State Convention Fund-Raiser

The sports and rec division will have a table at exhibit hall and for our fundraiser we will be selling whistles with lanyards, individual packs of trail mix, bottles of water and also the main item awesome lime green Cousy that has the NFB symbol on them and it says “national federation of the blind of South Carolina sports and rec division.

David Rebocho

President

Sports/Rec Division

>From Thom Spittle, President, CSTD

Fund-Raiser for CSTD during state Convention

There are 3 items:

$25 Gift card to Darden Restaurants

$25 Amazon Gift Card

New 4th generation Amazon Echo dot

Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5.

The purchaser will decide which drawing their tickets will be entered into. So they can stuff the box for 1 particular item, or spread it out for a chance to win each of the items.

You do not need to be present to win. If you would like to purchase tickets virtually and pay via paypal or CashApp, call or text Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344.

>From Shelley Coppel, President, Senior Division

Fund-Raiser Beginning at state convention

The Senior Division is hosting a 50/50 drawing to begin at this convention to be drawn at our Statewide Seminar.  Tickets will cost $5 per ticket.  The winner and Senior Division will split the profits!!

Asking state agency questions at the state convention

If you would like to ask the SC Commission for the Blind or the State Library Talking book services a question at the state convention, please email

AdvocacyNFBSC at yahoo.com <mailto:AdvocacyNFBSC at yahoo.com>

Please include the agency you are addressing and the question. This will give us an opportunity to put similar questions together so that as many questions can be asked during the time slot. If your question is not asked, please understand there are time constraints and the agenda is tight. We will work hard to get as many questions as possible. I am sad to report that I received a message from the President of the School for the Deaf and the Blind that she would not be able to address our members that weekend.

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

Ten tickets were sent to all chapter and division presidents for our NFB of SC fund-raiser for the Marriott. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at $500 to be used by September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during Palmetto Connects on November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for $25. Please call David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need tickets. You may send a check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205 or pay using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places you go.

Let’s work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto affiliate. We have currently only sold 13 tickets. Great odds for those individuals; however, not a successful fund-raiser with only 13 tickets sold at this time. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC for a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in our community will enjoy!

State Convention Transportation

We are looking to partner with Lion Vision Services (LVS) to work out transportation for everyone interested in attending convention in person. LVS is asking me to identify how many folks in each region will need transportation. The only way I can accurately tell them is for you to let me know. If the only reason you have not registered for the state convention is due to lack of transportation or uncertainty about transportation, please register for the convention in person and we will insure you have a ride. Once you register and you need transportation, please text, call or email me so I can let LVS know accurate numbers for each region. Those chapters with vans, I am hopeful that you will offer folks a ride and partner with other chapters to assist as well. Transportation will not be a deterrent. If you are looking for a roommate for the state convention, please let me know so that we can spread the word. Let’s try to work together so that everyone who wishes to attend the convention, can attend. There will be a van leaving from Columbia on Thursday, August 19 around mid-day. Please contact me if you wish to ride that van(s). Another van will be leaving Friday from the Federation Center. Please contact Steve Cook to be added to that list.

Sponsorship Letter for State Convention and updates on Sponsorships

If you need sponsorship letters sent out, please contact David Houck and he will be happy to assist. Please do not forget about our contest. The chapter or divisions who obtains the most sponsorship donation in dollar amount will receive a percentage of the total donations raised. Our goal is $15,000. Sponsorships will help defray costs of the convention for the affiliate. Currently, the Columbia chapter has raised $4,300, The Sumter chapter $900, the At Large chapter has raised $250 and the Senior Division has raised $200 for a total of $5,950. What an awesome start all of you! Let’s send out those sponsorship letters, make phone calls, add to Face Book and other social media, and other creative ways.

Cooper River Bridge Run

Our Sports and Recreation Division will be coordinating the Cooper River Bridge Run held the last Saturday in September. We plan to rent an Air BNB the night before in the Charleston/MT. Pleasant area to prevent early Saturday driving. After you have registered with Shree from the information provided below, please contact me or David Rebocho to let us know if you wish to stay in the Air BnB the night before. All individuals staying at the Air BnB will need to pay their part in the rental of the house by August 15, 2021. Please remember you can get friends and family to sponsor you to run or walk during this event to cover registration and housing costs.

Here is a message from our contact:

You can direct participants to Shree.  I'll include all the contact info at the bottom of this email. Shree can help them sign our waiver and then she can collect the information necessary to help them register.

After looking at the CRBR website, it appears that the registration fee goes up as the date draws closer.  Until June 15 the registration fee is $50.  After that the fee jumps to $55, then it jumps again to $60 after August 15.

Shree Gobin

Volunteer Coordinator, Adaptive Expeditions

(317) 682-8222

Shree at AEOutdoors.org <mailto:Shree at AEOutdoors.org>

>From Shannon Cook

Scholarship Announcement 2021

Thanks to the Belvedere, Sumter, Greenville, Columbia, Cherokee, Chesterfield, At Large and Grand Strand Chapters for their donations to the NFB of SC Scholarship Program.   I also thank the Federation Center and Rocky Bottom.  I would like to issue a challenge to each member and chapter or division who has not already contributed to this worthy program.  I would like to ask each member to donate $10 and chapters or divisions to donate at least $50.  Remember, these students are the likely future leaders of the Federation.  What better reason to donate than to invest in the future of our organization!  You can go to www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and make your donation via PayPal.  Alternatively, you can mail a check made out to the NFB of SC and mailed to the Federation Center.   In either case, please specify that you are donating to the scholarship program; otherwise, the donation will not be used as you intend. Thank you for your consideration.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website and membership list.  Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the month. All meetings are on the main Federation ID of 803-254-3777, unless noted.

Dates & Times of meetings are subject to change. All times are Eastern.

Monday, August 2, 2021

Fund raising committee 7:00 PM

Presidential release 8:00 PM

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Get Fit evening session 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

Legislative committee 8:00 PM

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Cooking with the At Large chapter 6:30 PM

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM

Darlington County 7:00 PM

Friday, August 6, 2021

Meet the Blind Committee 6:00 PM

Cool Runnings audio describe movie 8:00 PM

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Get Fit morning session 9:00 PM Rocky Bottom

Greenville Chapter 11:00 AM

Student Division 8:00 PM

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Lee County 7:00 PM

Monday, August 9, 2021

Braille Literacy Committee 6:00 PM

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Get Fit evening session 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

At Large Chapter 7:00 PM

Sumter Chapter 7:00 PM

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Sports & Rec Division 6:00 PM

Thursday, August 12, 2021

Lancaster Chapter 7:00 PM

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Get Fit morning session 9:00 Rocky Bottom

Technology training 10:00 to 12:00

Student Division Social 8:00 PM

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Support group for recently blinded members 5:00 PM

Monday, August 16, 2021

Membership Committee 7:00 PM

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Get Fit evening session 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

Diabetes Action Network 7:00 PM

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Advocacy Committee 6:00 PM

Public Relations 8:00 PM

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Florence Chapter 7:00 PM

Clarendon Chapter 8:00 PM

Friday, August 20, 2021

NFB of SC State Convention

Saturday, August 21, 2021

NFB of SC State Convention

Sunday, August 22, 2021

NFB of SC State Convention

Monday, August 23, 2021

Doing our fair share committee 7:00 PM

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Get Fit Session 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom

Computer Science & Tech Division 7:00

Diversity & Inclusion Committee 8:00 PM

Thursday, August 26, 2021

Social Media 7:30 PM

Saturday, August 28, 2021

Get Fit morning session 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom

Federation Center

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

NFB of SC 65th Annual State Convention!

I encourage you to register for our 65th annual state convention and attend the way that best fits your comfort level at this time. We currently have 43 virtual registrants and 112 in-person registrants .Our goal is  fifty in-person participants and we have exceeded that goal. We have now exceeded our goal of 100 in-person participants! How many will be joining us for our 65th annual state convention? We will be running a contest for the chapter or division who obtains the most money in sponsorships. Let’s work to exceed our $15,000 sponsorship goal to defray the cost of the convention. If you will need transportation or a roommate during the convention in North Charleston, please call/text me at 803-960-9977 or email me at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com

This information will go on the listserv. The transportation requests will help us in determining pick-up points around the state. I am hopeful that chapters with vans will assist in the transportation process as well as, others in the community.

Let’s talk about our state convention in detail.

We will be having our sixty-fifth NFB of SC state convention August 19-22, 2021 at the North Charleston Marriott, 4770 Goer Drive, North Charleston, SC, 29406. It is time for all of us to begin making our reservations and registering for our hybrid convention. You may contact the hotel directly at 843-747-1900 and let them know you are registering for the NFB of SC state convention to receive the discounted rates.

Room rates are as follows:

Singles and doubles, $115.00 per night. Until July 29

Triples, $125.00 per night. Until July 29

Quads, $135.00 per night. Until July 29

You will also need to add sales tax which currently is 14%.

The NFB of SC block of rooms at the above rates will be good until July 29, 2021 until 5:00 PM Eastern time. After that date, the hotel will release the rooms to the general public and we will not be guaranteed our group rate.

You may register using a paper registration form, complete and enclose payment and send to the Federation Center, 2021 NFB of SC State Convention, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

You may also register online and submit payment through Pay Pal or you may send in your payment to the Center at the above address. Registration will not be confirmed until payment has been received through the mail or Pay Pal. If using Pay Pal, please remember to add 3% to your total to cover Pay Pal’s administration fees and so that NFB of SC receives the entire amount.

Let’s have a large in-person and virtual turn-out for the NFB of SC Sixty-Fifth state convention!

Register online at

2021 National Federation of the Blind of SC Sixty-Fifth State Convention Registration Form

https://forms.gle/JUxemkCKcjiWdC827

You may obtain a printed  form from David Houck at the Federation Center. Those letters and registration forms will be in the mail this week.

Questions about the convention, please call me at 803-960-9977 or email me at

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Fascinating Facts

Pineapples were named after pine cones.

Joke of the Week

 What did one ocean say to the other ocean?

Nothing, it just waved.

Final Thought

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.

Zig Ziglar

If you have read to the end of this Positive Note, what is your favorite fast-food restaurant? Email me your responses to  <mailto:Jennifer at successforlives.org> Jennifer at successforlives.org

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - “The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.”

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>