[NFBofSC] Blind Gentleman in Need, Can you Help?

Jennifer Bazer jhipp25 at sc.rr.com
Tue Jan 5 00:59:49 UTC 2021

Hello All!

I visited a gentleman today who is living in a super 8 in Columbia. He lost
his vision about ten months ago. He was living with someone who kept him
locked in a room and took advantage of him. He was on the street until
someone got him to the motel.

I took the prescriptions he had in his bag and got them filled at Walmart.
He has COPD and emphysema. He probably needs to go to have his health
checked at ER or urgent care, unless we can get him somewhere else.

He was on disability before he lost his sight. He is eating fast food;
however, he has a microwave and small refrigerator in his room. I will go
back on Wednesday to take him some canned food and things that he can heat
up and not need to be cold necessarily since his fridge is small.

I think his immediate need is his health and medication. He does have
Medicaid. We also need to find him some temporary living arrangements while
he gets his meds back in him as he has been off them for a while due to his
lack of vision and being pretty much homeless.

Then, we can focus on his blindness skills. He is working on getting a case
open at SCCB.

The We Care Committee may be reaching out for your assistance. Please
contact Dorothy Barksdale, chair of the committee if you can assist.

He wears 48/30 in pants

3X shirt

Size ten shoes

I will be visiting him at least twice a week until other arrangements can be
made. I am happy to take him items if you have anything to donate, just call
me and I can get them from you and take them to him.

Thank you NFB of SC for praying for this gentleman and seeing how we can
assist another blind brother.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Bazer,

President, NFB of SC