[NFBofSC] Be My Eyes

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Jan 6 10:53:13 UTC 2021

This is one app every blind person should have on their iPhone! I have used
it many times!

"Visually impaired" - Google News - Thursday, December 24, 2020 at 10:45 PM

This app is helping to change the lives of the visually impaired for the
better - KPRC Click2Houston

There are countless apps that help us do all kinds of things in our daily
lives, but there's a relatively new app that assists people who are visually
impaired, with what some people don't have to think twice about.

Not only is the  <https://www.bemyeyes.com/> Be My Eyes app making a
difference in the daily lives of those who are blind and visually impaired,
but it gives sighted people a chance to volunteer in a way they can truly
make an impact.

Here's how it works: A person who is blind or visually impaired can connect
on the app via video and audio with a sighted person, who can help them with
tasks as simple as figuring out the color of a shirt and the expiration date
on a gallon of milk, to more important tasks, such as getting the
temperature off a thermometer or reading someone's mail to them. And there
is assistance in more than 180 languages.

The app is being raved about by users in the visually impaired community.

"The help these apps give you as a blind/visually impaired person is
indispensable and invaluable," one person who is visually impaired said.
"All you really need is a few minutes to help change/impact someone's life
for the better."

"I'd say one of the coolest experiences I have had, is when a man stayed on
the phone with me for almost 45 minutes, and I was able to upgrade the RAM
on my iMac," one man who is visually impaired wrote. "This is a task that
would be extremely difficult without help."

[MORE:  <https://www.bemyeyes.com/community-stories> Users share their
experience with Be My Eyes app]

With 4.8 out of 5 stars, the app has been a hit for users on both ends. In
fact, sighted volunteers seem to be getting so much out of lending a set of
eyes that the ratio of volunteers to blind people is abundant. To be more
precise, as of December, there were more than 270,000 people who are
visually impaired on the app, and nearly 4.4 million sighted people
volunteering.

<https://www.click2houston.com/pf/resources/images/shared/placeholder.svg?d=
234>

Be My Eyes app. (Be My Eyes)

"I love answering calls because it humbles me . to be able to make it easier
for them means the world to me," said one reviewer who wrote about how she
helped a man with narrowed vision who was volunteering to help homeless
people get back on their feet. "I felt a part of it at the same time because
I was able to help him find the resources he needed so he could give out to
those he helps who are homeless."

Interested in signing up? It's quick and easy.

*	Download the Be My Eyes app and tell it whether you are
blind/visually impaired or sighted.
*	Create your login via Facebook, Google, Apple or your email.
*	Read through directions on how to make or receive a call.

"This app really gives us a sense of what it means to be human, to give back
to humanity, unselfishly. If more of us gave so freely of just a few minutes
of our time each month, collectively, think of what else we could
accomplish!" another reviewer said.

Have you used this app? Would you? Tell us how the app has helped you in the
comment section below.

https://www.click2houston.com/features/2020/12/17/this-app-is-helping-to-cha
nge-the-lives-of-the-visually-impaired-for-the-better/

 <http://nfbofsc.org/?p=1985> Click here to access the membership form for
the National Federation of the Blind of SC

Steve Cook

District 2 State Board Member of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

President of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
SC

1st Vice President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the
National Federation of the Blind of SC

The National Federation of the Blind of SC owns and operates Rocky Bottom
Retreat & Conference Center.  Below is a link to read more about Rocky
Bottom and to make a reservation for a mountain retreat!

 <http://rockybottomofsc.com/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center

Please join the National Federation of the Blind of SC on Face Book at any
of the below links!

 <https://m.facebook.com/NatFedofSouthCarolina/> National Federation of the
Blind of SC on Face Book

<https://m.facebook.com/Computer-Science-Technology-Division-of-the-NFB-of-S
C-343263089815304/> Computer Science & Technology Division of the National
Federation of the Blind of SC

 <https://m.facebook.com/RockyBottomofSC/> Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference
Center

South Carolina Association of Blind Students

 <https://m.facebook.com/groups/375092969314880?_rdr> South Carolina Parents
of Blind Children

The National Federation of the Blind creates and distributes several
publications and audio reports to inform both our membership and our friends
about the true nature of blindness, issues of interest to the blind, NFB
news and action items, and the many important stories we share.

 <https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media> Click here to read
more about Publications and Media from the NFB!