[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1838

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Nov 1 10:29:12 UTC 2021

November 1, 2021

Positive Note 1838

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

As children came dressed in their costumes for Halloween with capes, colored
hair, and masks, I wonder how many of us put on our masks? What are we
hiding behind, covering up, who are we trying to be, or not trying to be?
Who are we wanting to be or not be? Why are we not happy with who we are?
Are we putting on a smile to cover our sorrow? Are we masking our hurt, our
despair? Sometimes, it is hard to be the person we are told to be, expected
to be, it is difficult to go the extra mile. I hope you will remove your
mask and reveal your authentic self, to feel safe to be who you are without
judgment, to let someone know if you are hurting, need a helping hand. I
hope the NFB enables you to leave your mask behind and not fear rejection,
isolation, and hurt. I hope we will continue to lead with love, hope and
determination, and that we will not reach for our masks

We have just turned another page to a new month. The last month of the year
with just 30 days. The month where leaves begin to change; temperatures
begin to slowly drop; days become shorter and nights become longer; the
month where I celebrate and maybe you, banana pudding day; the month we
celebrate Veterans and remember those who have gone before us with All
Saints' Day; November is when folks are thankful and celebrate Thanksgiving
and we enter the holiday season.

November also begins a busy time in the NFB of SC. We are collecting our $10
state dues for 2022; we are asking for submissions for the Palmetto Blind;
we are continuing fundraisers in various chapters and in our affiliate; we
are continuing to do the work of the Federation with our monthly committee
meetings. We are giving of our time, our talents, and our money to advancing
the blind of the state and of the nation. Thank you all for your commitment,
your passion and your love for this powerful organization.

>From the We Care Committee

If you would like a recognition of your birthday, anniversary, graduation,
sympathy, thinking of you, please let chair Dorothy Barksdale know. We
cannot acknowledge special events or condolences if we are not aware.

The Clarendon County Chapter is sad to let everyone know that long-time
member, Mrs. Joretta Carper, passed on October 15, 2021. Please keep her
husband, Earl and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Also, please keep Debra Canty in your thoughts and prayers is she is
recovering from Covid and complications from pneumonia.

Who are We? NFB of SC!

I am excited to continue to learn about each of you and share your
interests, stories, goals, and your passion with our Federation family in
the Palmetto State. In this section, I will ask a question each week to get
to know you and for our Federation family to get to know you. Reflections
will be shared in future issues of the Positive Note and the Palmetto Blind.
I look forward to your contributions.

The question last week:

Why does the NFB of SC need you? A few weeks ago, I asked, why do you need
the Federation. This week, why does the Federation need you? What do you
offer, bring to the table? What talents, strengths do you offer? Why does
the Federation need you?

Here are some responses from our members:

>From patricia Smith Jenkins

I'm only a single writer, speaker, fundraiser,and advocate, so I'm joining
others. Together we make a difference. That is why the Federation needs me.

>From Melanie Torrance

I can motivate others

I can lead a group effectively

I have experience in leadership and top management positions through the
jobs that I have had. I was the Director of Nursing and an Assistant
administrator at a 75 bed psychiatric hospital.

I can stay focused on a task, and see it through to completion. I have
energy and an enthusiastic attitude.

>From Elizabeth Rouse

I would say the NFB of SC needs me because I offer a new and unique
perspective. Because I've moved into the state after being a part of two
state affiliates and many student initiatives, I have a new perspective on
what works and what doesn't, and, for that matter, what works and what
shouldn't. Additionally, I'm ready, able, and willing, to rise to new
challenges, challenge those around me, and take on many of the
responsibilities others would rather avoid.

This week's question:

Since you joined the NFB, what have you gained, learned about yourself or
blindness that you did not know, realize until you were involved with the
Federation?

Please email your responses to:

Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com>

If you do not have email or not comfortable with technology, please call or
text me at 803-960-9977 so that I may capture your responses as well.

2022 NFB of SC Membership Dues

The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has our 2022 Membership Form
on our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> . When you fill
out this form, you will receive a copy of the information you entered if you
provided your personal Email address. If you are assisting someone with the
form that does not have an Email address, feel free to use
steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com <mailto:steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com>  in the
Email field. Once you click on the submit button, you are taken to the
Donations page in which you can choose to pay your $10 state dues using the
NFB of South Carolina State Affiliate secure Pay Pal button.

https://nfbofsc.org/2022-membership-form/

If you have any questions or need assistance with the above process, please
call Steve Cook at 803 260 1292. If I am unable to take your call, I will
call you back when I am available.

You may also send checks payable to NFB of SC to the Federation Center, 119
S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Please remember your membership is
not complete unless we have an electronic submission of your membership and
payment. If you send in a check with your membership information, please
note, someone from the membership committee will contact you to assist in
completing the form online.

If you are a chapter or division president or serve on a board, it is
vitally important that your dues are received no later than December 31 to
remain in your leadership role. We have to lead by example.

Please remember dues should be received by December 31, 2021.

Thank you to those that have submitted their membership form and dues for
2022.

Submissions Wanted for The Palmetto Blind

The Palmetto Blind will be released in December. If you wish to contribute
an article, submissions are due no later than November 30, 2021. Please note
submissions may be edited for brevity. Please submit submissions to

Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com>

Articles about assistive technology, beneficial websites, recipes, articles
that members, legislators and others would find interesting.

If you have a suggestion for the Palmetto Blind, please let me know.

Diabetes: What you should know

By Melanie Torrance, Chair, Diabetes Action Network, DAN Committee

November is National Diabetes Awareness month and this article will provide
you with a basic understanding of the disease.

Diabetes is a chronic (long-lasting) health condition that affects how your
body turns food into energy.

Most of the food you eat is broken down into sugar (also called glucose) and
released into your bloodstream. When your blood sugar goes up, it signals
your pancreas to release insulin. Insulin acts like a key to let the blood
sugar into your body's cells for use as energy.

If you have diabetes, your body either doesn't make enough insulin or can't
use the insulin it makes as well as it should. When there isn't enough
insulin or cells stop responding to insulin, too much blood sugar stays in
your bloodstream. Over time, that can cause serious health problems, such as
heart disease, vision loss, and kidney disease.

There isn't a cure yet for diabetes, but losing weight, eating healthy food,
and being active can really help. Taking medicine as needed, getting
educated on self-management and keeping health care appointments can also
reduce the impact of diabetes on your life.

Diabetes by the Numbers

*	34.2 million US adults have diabetes, and 1 in 5 of them don't know
they have it.
*	Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States.
*	Diabetes is the No. 1 cause of kidney failure, lower-limb
amputations and blindness. In the last 20 years, the number of adults
diagnosed with diabetes has more than doubled.

Types of Diabetes

There are three main types of diabetes: Type 1, Type 2, and gestational
diabetes (while pregnant).

Type 1 Diabetes

Type 1 diabetes is thought to be caused by an autoimmune reaction (the body
attacks itself by mistake) that stops your body from making insulin.
Approximately 5-10% of the people who have diabetes have type 1. Symptoms of
type 1 diabetes often develop quickly. It's usually diagnosed in children,
teens, and young adults. If you have type 1 diabetes, you'll need to take
insulin every day to survive. Currently, no one knows how to prevent type 1
diabetes.

Type 2 Diabetes

With type 2 diabetes, your body doesn't use insulin well and can't keep
blood sugar at normal levels. About 90-95% of people with diabetes have type
2. It develops over many years and is usually diagnosed in adults (but more
and more in children, teens, and young adults). You may not notice any
symptoms, so it's important to get your blood sugar tested if you're at
risk. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed with healthy lifestyle
changes, such as losing weight, eating healthy food, and being active.

Gestational Diabetes

*	Gestational diabetes develops in pregnant women who have never had
diabetes. If you have gestational diabetes, your baby could be at higher
risk for health problems. Gestational diabetes usually goes away after your
baby is born but increases your risk for type 2 diabetes later in life. Your
baby is more likely to have obesity as a child or teen, and more likely to
develop type 2 diabetes later in life too.
*	PREDIABETES
*	In the United States, 88 million adults-more than 1 in 3-have
prediabetes. What's more, more than 84% of them don't know they have it.
With prediabetes, blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high
enough yet to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. Prediabetes raises your risk
for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. The good news is if you have
prediabetes, a CDC-recognized education program can help you take healthy
steps to reverse it.

ARE YOU AT RISK?

Risk factors for diabetes include: family history, being overweight, not
getting enough exercise, diabetes during pregnancy, age, ethnicity and high
blood pressure.

If you feel you may be at risk for diabetes, drop into the NFB of SC's
Diabetes Action Network Committee (DAN), which meets every third Thursday at
7 pm on the Zoom platform.

REFERENCES:

www.cdc.gov/diabetes <http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes>  basics

Fusion, JAWS or Zoom Text

The Computer Science & Technology Division would like to thank Freedom
Scientific for donating an annual license for a division fundraiser!

The winner will receive a copy of an annual license for their choice of
Fusion, Zoom Text or JAWS! Please help support the CSTD by purchasing one or
more tickets.  Prices are one  for $3 or two tickets for $5. The winning
ticket will be drawn on January 8, 2022 at the NFB of SC Statewide Seminar.

To purchase, go to the Computer Science & Technology Division's PayPal at
the below link. Be sure to include the following information when purchasing
your tickets: Name, phone number and number of tickets purchased.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Remember, we are entering the season of giving and gifting.  You won't have
to wait on a shipment to arrive to give this chance to win.

The Computer Science & Technology Division greatly appreciates your support!

Fundraiser Columbia Chapter

Thank you to Andrew Adams who donated the iPad to the Columbia Chapter to
use for a fund raiser.

Would you like a chance to win an 9th generation, 10.2 64 gig iPad? Well
here is your opportunity! The Columbia Chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind of SC is having a fund raiser! This would make a great Christmas
gift for someone or yourself!

We will draw the winners name at our December 9, 2021 Chapter meeting.
Tickets are only $5 each or 3 for $10! When purchasing tickets via secure
Pay Pal at the below link. Be sure to include your name and phone number.
You will need to use the Pay Pal button for the NFB of South Carolina State
Affiliate.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Palmetto Connects, Thursday, November 4

Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, November 4 at 6:00 PM Eastern on
the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for
happenings in the NFB of SC!

Marriott Fundraiser Update

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

Ten tickets were sent to all chapter and division presidents for our NFB of
SC fund-raiser for the Marriott. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at
$500 to be used by September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during
Palmetto Connects on November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for
$25. Please call David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need
tickets. You may send a check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road,
Columbia, SC 29205 or pay using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places
you go.

Let's work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto
affiliate. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC for
a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in our
community will enjoy!

29          Sumter Chapter

43          Columbia Chapter

12          At Large Chapter

6            Grand Strand Chapter

  3          Lancaster Chapter

13          Belvedere Chapter

18          Sports & Rec

  3          Sheila Wright - MO

  3          Rock Hill Chapter

  3          Anderson Chapter

  6          Greenville Chapter

  10        Cherokee Chapter

148        total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

RBRCCB Winner of Fall Festival Ticket Sales and Online Auction

>From Thom Spittle, chair of RBRCCB

The Rocky Bottom online auction will be postponed for 2 weeks to accommodate
some auction items we are still receiving .

The auction will start on November 13 and conclude on November 20 at 4pm.

Please get any auction items to the Federation Center as soon as possible so
that we can get them on the auction website.

The link to the auction is:

https://www.charityauctionstoday.com/auctions/rocky-bottom-online-auction-20
21-27790

We will be adding items often, so check back.

The winner of the drawing for the fun day tickets was Angel Walker. She will
receive $500 and the seller was Charbrenna Davis who will receive $50. Both
were from the Sumter chapter. Congratulations to the Sumter chapter for
selling the most fun day tickets totaling 220, and as a result, their
treasury will receive $300. The Lancaster chapter came in second and the At
Large chapter came in third in total tickets sales. We sold approximately
1,100 tickets totaling nearly $5,500. After paying the winners, Rocky Bottom
will profit around $4,650.00 for fun day tickets. Let's work together to
bring in donations for the auction and spread the online auction link so
this part of our fundraiser for Rocky Bottom will also be successful. Thank
you all for working hard to sell your tickets. We are united!

Rocky Bottom Christmas Board Retreat

We are just over 1 month away from this year's Rocky Bottom Christmas board
retreat which will be held December 3rd through December 5, 2021 at our
Rocky Bottom campus. The board meetings will be held on Saturday, December
4, 2021 in person and virtually through the Rocky Bottom Zoom platform.

This year, the board of directors have decided to extend an invitation to
more than board members to attend in person. Anyone interested in attending
in person should call Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344. In person attendees are
required to send proof of vaccination to David Houck at the Federation
Center at nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> . Only vaccinated
individuals will be allowed to attend in person.

Accommodations will be extended to board members of the NFBofSC state board
and members of the Rocky Bottom Board of Directors first. Chapter and
division presidents and past NFBofSC presidents will be given second
priority, followed by committee chairpersons, then NFBofSC members.

All requests must be called in by November 24, 2021.

Meals will again be prepared by Lenora Robertson and her awesome kitchen
crew. 3 meals will be provided on Saturday, and a breakfast to go will be
available on Sunday. On Saturday evening there will be a celebration of our
accomplishments, and a gift exchange. In the past, people have brought up
delicious desserts. But this year, still being cautious of the pandemic,
please bring a store bought dessert. Our kitchen staff will package and
distribute them in a safe manner.

Rocky Bottom will supply the linens and towels for this weekend.

Please make your reservations early. Those that need dietary or handicap
rooms, please let us know when you make your reservation.

Details of the gift exchange and the agenda and zoom information will be
sent out at a later date.

We hope to hear from you,

Thom Spittle

Chairman

Board of Directors

Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center of the Blind.

803-331-3344

RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com <mailto:RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com>

Contributing to Banquet Fundraiser

We raised just over $10,000 at our annual banquet fundraiser at the state
convention! I want to thank chapters, divisions and individuals for making
this a success! We could not do it without all of us working together. Names
of those who have contributed and pledged will be listed in future Positive
Notes. If you would like to donate, please make checks payable to NFB of SC
with banquet fundraiser in the memo line and mail to the Federation Center,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may also contribute using Pay
Pal on our

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

website. We appreciate you supporting NFB of SC and its programs and
services!

Zoom Events for the upcoming week!

Below are the events scheduled this week for the NFB of SC. Chairs and
co-chairs, please make sure your agenda for the committee is on the list
serv before your meeting. If you are interested in a committee, please feel
free to join the meeting. Final committee members for each committee will be
released after November's meetings to give everyone an idea of what
committees they are passionate about and willing to commit time and effort
to build the NFB of SC.

Monday, November 1, 2021

We Care Committee 6:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Fund Raising Committee 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Presidential Release 8:00 PM

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Legislative & Advocacy Committee 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Cooking with the At Large Chapter 6:30 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, November 4, 2021

Palmetto Connect 6:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Darlington County Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Friday, November 5, 2021

Movie Night 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, November 6, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Greenville Chapter 11:00 AM Federation Center Zoom

Student Division Meeting 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Monday, November 8, 2021

Braille Literacy Committee 6:30 PM Federation Center Zoom

Convention Planning Committee 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

At Large Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Sumter Chapter 7:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Sports & Rec Division 6:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Blind Equality Achievement Month Committee 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Lancaster Chapter 7:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Clarendon Chapter 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, November 13, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 Rocky Bottom Zoom

Student Division Social 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Federation Center

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

Fascinating Facts

The World's Largest Pumpkin Weighs More Than a Sports Car. How much do you
think it weighs?

Joke of the Week

How does a dog stop a video?

By hitting the paws button.

Final Thought

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."
-Ayn Rand

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>