[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1839

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Nov 8 11:43:42 UTC 2021

November 8, 2021

Positive Note 1839

803-960-9977

Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

*	Veterans Day occurs on November 11 every year in the United States
in honor of the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of
1918 that signaled the end of World War I, known as Armistice Day.
*	In 1954, President
<http://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/dwight-d-eisenhower> Dwight D.
Eisenhower officially changed the name of the holiday from Armistice Day to
<http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/history-of-veterans-day> Veterans
Day.
*	Veterans Day commemorates veterans of all wars.
*	Every Veterans Day and Memorial Day, Arlington National Cemetery
holds an annual memorial service. The cemetery is home to the graves of over
400,000 people, most of whom served in the military.

*	18.2 million
<https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xht
ml?src=bkmk> living veterans served during at least one war as of 2018.
*	9 percent of veterans are women.
*	7 million veterans served during the
<http://www.history.com/topics/vietnam-war/vietnam-war-history> Vietnam War.
*	3 million veterans have served in support of the War on Terrorism.
*	Of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II, about
325,000 were
<https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/wwii-veteran-statistics#:%7e:text=Yie
lding%20to%20the%20inalterable%20process,II%20are%20alive%20in%202020.>
still alive as of 2020.
*	2 million veterans served during the
<http://www.history.com/topics/korean-war> Korean War.
*	As of 2019, the
<https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/slideshows/where-veterans-live> top
three states with the highest percentage of Veterans were Virginia, Wyoming,
and Alaska.

We celebrate all veterans! Thank you for your service!

Looking ahead. There are several action items needing our attention this
week. Please support the NFB of SC by purchasing your Marriott fundraiser
tickets; 1 for $10, 3 for $25; all proceeds benefit the programs of the NFB
of SC. The drawing will be held November 18 during Palmetto Connects. Also,
if you have new items that you would like to donate to the Rocky Bottom
online auction, please leave them at the center so they can be added to the
auction website which begins November 18. Also, it is that time of year to
pay our $10 state dues for the NFB of SC. You may do this online or by mail.
If you send your information by mail, the membership committee will contact
you to obtain all information needed. We are here to help in this process;
please let us know how we can assist.

2022 NFB of SC Membership Dues

The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has our 2022 Membership Form
on our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> . When you fill
out this form, you will receive a copy of the information you entered if you
provided your personal Email address. If you are assisting someone with the
form that does not have an Email address, feel free to use
steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com <mailto:steve at nfbsc.onmicrosoft.com>  in the
Email field. Once you click on the submit button, you are taken to the
Donations page in which you can choose to pay your $10 state dues using the
NFB of South Carolina State Affiliate secure Pay Pal button.

https://nfbofsc.org/2022-membership-form/

If you have any questions or need assistance with the above process, please
call Steve Cook at 803 260 1292. If I am unable to take your call, I will
call you back when I am available.

You may also send checks payable to NFB of SC to the Federation Center, 119
S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Please remember your membership is
not complete unless we have an electronic submission of your membership and
payment. If you send in a check with your membership information, please
note, someone from the membership committee will contact you to assist in
completing the form online.

If you are a chapter or division president or serve on a board, it is
vitally important that your dues are received no later than December 31 to
remain in your leadership role. We have to lead by example.

Please remember dues should be received by December 31, 2021.

Thank you to those that have submitted their membership form and dues for
2022.

Fusion, JAWS or Zoom Text

The Computer Science & Technology Division would like to thank Freedom
Scientific for donating an annual license for a division fundraiser!

The winner will receive a copy of an annual license for their choice of
Fusion, Zoom Text or JAWS! Please help support the CSTD by purchasing one or
more tickets.  Prices are one  for $3 or two tickets for $5. The winning
ticket will be drawn on January 8, 2022 at the NFB of SC Statewide Seminar.

To purchase, go to the Computer Science & Technology Division's PayPal at
the below link. Be sure to include the following information when purchasing
your tickets: Name, phone number and number of tickets purchased.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Remember, we are entering the season of giving and gifting.  You won't have
to wait on a shipment to arrive to give this chance to win.

The Computer Science & Technology Division greatly appreciates your support!

Fundraiser Columbia Chapter

Thank you to Andrew Adams who donated the iPad to the Columbia Chapter to
use for a fund raiser.

Would you like a chance to win an 9th generation, 10.2 64 gig iPad? Well
here is your opportunity! The Columbia Chapter of the National Federation of
the Blind of SC is having a fund raiser! This would make a great Christmas
gift for someone or yourself!

We will draw the winners name at our December 9, 2021 Chapter meeting.
Tickets are only $5 each or 3 for $10! When purchasing tickets via secure
Pay Pal at the below link. Be sure to include your name and phone number.
You will need to use the Pay Pal button for the NFB of South Carolina State
Affiliate.

https://nfbofsc.org/donations/

Palmetto Connects, Thursday, November 18

Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, November 18 at 6:00 PM Eastern on
the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you for
happenings in the NFB of SC! Please remember we will be drawing the winner
of the Marriott fundraiser.

Marriott Fundraiser Update

NFB of SC Fund-raiser, Marriott Raffle

We are approaching our final days with our Marriott fundraiser benefitting
the NFB of SC. Two nights and breakfast for two valued at $500 to be used by
September 1, 2022. The drawing will be held during Palmetto Connects on
November 18. One ticket for $10 or three tickets for $25. Please call David
Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777 if you need tickets. You may send a
check to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205 or pay
using Pay Pal on our site.

www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>

Put it on Face book, ask your friends and family to purchase, sell to places
you go.

Let's work together to make this a successful fund-raiser for the Palmetto
affiliate. This was a generous offer the Marriott gave to the NFB of SC for
a fund-raiser valued at $500. This is a drawing a lot of individuals in our
community will enjoy!

29          Sumter Chapter

43          Columbia Chapter

12          At Large Chapter

6            Grand Strand Chapter

  3          Lancaster Chapter

13          Belvedere Chapter

18          Sports & Rec

  3          Sheila Wright - MO

  3          Rock Hill Chapter

  3          Anderson Chapter

  6          Greenville Chapter

  10        Cherokee Chapter

148        total

Please call David Houck at 803-254-3777 for additional tickets.

RBRCCB Online Auction

>From Thom Spittle, chair of RBRCCB

The auction will start on November 13 and conclude on November 20 at 4pm.

Please get any auction items to the Federation Center as soon as possible so
that we can get them on the auction website.

The link to the auction is:

https://www.charityauctionstoday.com/auctions/rocky-bottom-online-auction-20
21-27790

We will be adding items often, so check back.

Rocky Bottom Christmas Board Retreat

We are just over 1 month away from this year's Rocky Bottom Christmas board
retreat which will be held December 3rd through December 5, 2021 at our
Rocky Bottom campus. The board meetings will be held on Saturday, December
4, 2021 in person and virtually through the Rocky Bottom Zoom platform.

This year, the board of directors have decided to extend an invitation to
more than board members to attend in person. Anyone interested in attending
in person should call Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344. In person attendees are
required to send proof of vaccination to David Houck at the Federation
Center at nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> . Only vaccinated
individuals will be allowed to attend in person.

Accommodations will be extended to board members of the NFBofSC state board
and members of the Rocky Bottom Board of Directors first. Chapter and
division presidents and past NFBofSC presidents will be given second
priority, followed by committee chairpersons, then NFBofSC members.

All requests must be called in by November 24, 2021.

Meals will again be prepared by Lenora Robertson and her awesome kitchen
crew. 3 meals will be provided on Saturday, and a breakfast to go will be
available on Sunday. On Saturday evening there will be a celebration of our
accomplishments, and a gift exchange. In the past, people have brought up
delicious desserts. But this year, still being cautious of the pandemic,
please bring a store bought dessert. Our kitchen staff will package and
distribute them in a safe manner.

Rocky Bottom will supply the linens and towels for this weekend.

Please make your reservations early. Those that need dietary or handicap
rooms, please let us know when you make your reservation.

Details of the gift exchange and the agenda and zoom information will be
sent out at a later date.

We hope to hear from you,

Thom Spittle

Chairman

Board of Directors

Rocky Bottom Retreat & Conference Center of the Blind.

803-331-3344

RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com <mailto:RockyBottomInfo at gmail.com>

Zoom Events for the upcoming week!

Below are the events scheduled this week for the NFB of SC. Chairs and
co-chairs, please make sure your agenda for the committee is on the list
serv before your meeting. If you are interested in a committee, please feel
free to join the meeting. Final committee members for each committee will be
released after November's meetings to give everyone an idea of what
committees they are passionate about and willing to commit time and effort
to build the NFB of SC.

Monday, November 8, 2021

Braille Literacy Committee 6:30 PM Federation Center Zoom

Convention Planning Committee 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

At Large Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Sumter Chapter 7:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Sports & Rec Division 6:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Blind Equality Achievement Month Committee 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Lancaster Chapter 7:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Clarendon Chapter 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, November 13, 2021

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 Rocky Bottom Zoom

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Lee County Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Federation Center

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

NFB One Minute Message

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>

NFB of SC State convention Sponsors

Let's thank all of our sponsors for our 65th annual NFB of SC state
convention! Their contributions helped defray cost of the convention.

Platinum Level:

THE BIGNON FAMILY FOUNDATION

Edward and Vicki Bignon

"Being a part of a REAL solution

is an honor and a great way to live your life."

May 2022 bring you good health and many blessings.

Eddie Bignon

GOLD Level:

Vanda Pharmaceuticals

Vanda Pharmaceuticals is a global biopharmaceutical company based in
Washington, DC. Vanda works to develop new medicines to address unmet
medical needs and to improve the lives of patients

          As a proud sponsor of the NFB of South Carolina, Vanda seeks to
raise awareness and provide educational resources about Non-24-Hour
Sleep-Wake Disorder, or Non-24 for short.

          Non-24 is a serious circadian rhythm disorder common in people who
are totally blind. It causes nighttime sleep problems and a wide range of
daytime difficulties that can affect one's ability to do every-day tasks or
activities. Many people with Non-24 report having an overwhelming urge to
sleep during the day as well as an overwhelming urge to stay awake at night.

          To learn more about Non-24, contact Vanda's Nurse Educator Vicki
Preddy by calling 202-578-9060.

Silver Level:

Vispero

Vispero is the home of the JAWS for Windows screen reader, as well as
ZoomText and Fusion software.  In addition, our family includes three of the
largest low vision hardware manufacturers:  Freedom Scientific, Optelec and
Enhanced Vision.  For product questions, contact Jerry Marindin, Regional
Sales Director.

Email:   <mailto:jmarindin at vispero.com> jmarindin at vispero.com

HumanWare

BrailliantTM BI 20X

Brailliant BI

Featuring excellent, sharp and crisp braille cell technology, the new and
portable Brailliant BI 20X refreshable braille display is the perfect
companion to any mobile device that makes reading enjoyable while keeping
you connected on the go. Customize your braille experience through an
intuitive user interface and onboard smart applications including the Victor
Reader library. Brailliant BI 20X expands what braille displays can do in
today's connected world.

1 800 722-3393 | humanware.com

Farmers Telephone Cooperative - Sumter, SC

 <https://www.ftc.net/services/wireless>

Internet - Wireless - Voice - Security - and Digital TV