[NFBofSC] Braille Literacy Agenda for Tonight Monday November 8 at 6:30 PM Eastern

jennifer at successforlives.org jennifer at successforlives.org
Mon Nov 8 15:51:13 UTC 2021

NFB of SC Braille Literacy Committee

2021-2022

November Agenda

November 8th, 2021, 6:30pm

*	Attendee introductions
*	Brief overview of minutes from the last meeting
*	Status updates on initiatives

- Beginning Braille classes - continue to be held but not all participants
that started have continued (some are choosing instead to concentrate on
their Hadley course, which they were doing concurrently to it, or have
decided to not continue. However, classes are still offered for those
wishing to continue

- Braille Readers are Leaders contest - the formatting of the contest will
change for the 2021-22 year, with the main goal being the number of minutes
read instead of the number of pages read. Participants will still need to
keep up with the logging their materials by title and author as well. This
might be better received by those who are beginning or slower readers, as it
will make the "playing field" more even between them and the more advanced
or quicker readers. An online software/app platform will be used for logging
minutes for the contest.

- Discuss which initiatives the committee wants to focus on

Which ones would be more doable to start working on sooner and which ones
might be better saved until they can be more thoroughly thought out?

Discussion items: 1. to further discuss possible tangible motivators/prizes
along with offering a Braille certificate for participants. Ideas mentioned
to date were small gift certificates for the NFB Independence Market, a gift
card for a meal with an experienced Braille reader at a restaurant that
offers Braille menus (I have since found out that menus will NOT count for
reading materials, but that doesn't mean we can't still use that as a
motivator), having readers in the six districts count their minutes toward
"bragging rights". Also, should prizes be for the top 3 total or divided by
age divisions, randomly drawn, or a mix of the two? (Perhaps having a few
small "top" prizes and one or two drawn at random so that you get both).

2. Discuss trainings, workshops, and instructional events and the direction
we would like to go with this over the next two months Do we want to try to
start planning in-person events yet? How should we begin with identifying
those who would be good at doing small-group introductory Braille classes
with their chapters or areas and what can we do to assist them with getting
them the resources for this and helping them organize it?

3. Are there any other ideas that were suggested already, or any new ones
that you feel especially led to work on?

 - Announcements and further discussion

- Scheduling of January meeting (Monday, January 10th at 6:30pm)