[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1895

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Dec 5 12:00:26 UTC 2022

December 5, 2022
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1895
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

December is here and we are now moving swiftly toward the beginning of a new year. Many gatherings will take place in our Federation family as chapters celebrate the holiday season with parties, food and gifts. I am reminded of the good Samaritan, John Fling, who gave so liberally to the Federation throughout his lifetime. Mr. Fling gathered Federationists and transported them to K-Mart where he provided gift cards for holiday shopping. He assisted many blind people who had special needs that was never made public. He is a fine example of a good Federationist.

On behalf of Co-Chairperson Debra Canty and Andrew Adams of the NFB of SC Fundraising Committee, these are the results from the Pet Fundraiser hosted on Saturday, December 3, 2022 on Zoom. Congratulations to the winner, Contestant #1 Meku Yvonne Porter of the Sumter Chapter, which was a short haired Chihuahua with a beautiful black and tan coat. She modeled gorgeous Christmas attire with a matching Santa's hat and all of the trimmings.

The second place Contestant #5 was Simone Dizzley, third place was Hope Jenkins, and Contestants Rigley and Maddie were tied for Fourth Place. The total raised for this fundraiser was $288.00.
Thank you to all who supported and participated and again, CONGRATULATIONS to the contestants for such marvelous fashions and talents.

The Statewide Seminar will take place on January 7, 2023 at the Federation Center beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding no later than 4:00 p.m. Lunch will be prepared by Isaiah Nelson. If you are planning to attend, please contact David Houck at 803-254-3777 or via e-mail at nfbsc at sc.rr.com<mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> by December 30, 2022. Chapter Presidents, your assistance with getting a count is appreciated so that we can purchase the appropriate amount of food.

If you would like someone from the NFB of SC board to attend your Christmas party, please reach out to me. We will do all we can to ensure that someone from the Board represents us at your holiday event.

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

A very special lady with a rich history, Ruth Weeks of Spartanburg, passed away at age 99 in Spartanburg on September1, 2018. Born in Kershaw, most of her life was spent in Spartanburg. At age seven in 1926, Ruth enrolled in the School for the Blind. Herbert Hoover was President and she remembers the 1929 Great Depression. At School Ruth was recognized for her singing talents. To the best of my knowledge, Ruth was the only living charter member of the Federation, with the possible exception of Marshall Tucker. Then known as the Aurora Club, she was present in 1944 when our founder, Dr. Sam Lawton arranged for the first gathering of the blind in Spartanburg. In the 1920's and 1930's when Ruth was in school, there were no televisions, computers, cell phones, microwave ovens, or stereo technology but there was one very valuable program featuring Braille literacy. Having been a member of the Federation for 74 years (1944 - 2018), Ruth only missed a few meetings of the Spartanburg Chapter. She attended most of the state conventions and was honored for her years of service in August of 2000, receiving the NFB of SC Presidential Citation and was further honored with a standing ovation from the banquet audience. As previously stated, there were very few jobs available to Ruth during her long career, but she did assist in jury selections in the courthouse as all prospective jurors were drawn by Ruth. She was an avid reader and fully utilized Braille when she started School in 1926. One of Ruth's favorite activities was attending Senior Blind Week at RBRCCB. Ruth Weeks was blessed in living a very long life, making many hundreds of friends both in the Federation and in other places.