[NFBofSC] FW: Columbia Chapter Newsletter

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 20 23:21:57 UTC 2022

Columbia Chapter Newsletter

June 09, 2022

Hello Columbia Chapter Members, Our current board members are as follows:  President – Ike Nelson, 1st Vice-President – Steve Cook, 2nd Vice President – David Bundy, Treasurer – Thom Spittle, Secretary – Casey Williams, Member-at-large – Shelley Coppel, Member-at-large – Maggie Floyd

Our June chapter meeting was held on Thursday, June 9, 2022. The meeting was held in person. For our dining pleasure, fried chicken, salad, baked beans, and potato salad, and a choice of tea or water.

Our pledges were led by David Houck and Frank Coppell. Ed Bible led us in our invocation.

Welcome visitors! It was so nice to see so many members this month. We had approximately 35 people in attendance tonight. This evening, Katherine Williams visited us. Welcome back Doug Hudson and Jerry Johnson.

Special presentation – Dorothy Barksdale first black member and has been a member for 49 years in 1973. Over a hundred people participated in the meeting back then. Good speakers and a small snack of a 6 oz punch with three cookies were provided. The federation has had one of the biggest impacts on her life. Back then, prejudice was non-existent in the chapter. Let’s continue to build our organization. If we continue the way we are going, we are going to hit rock bottom. Let’s continue to work together to raise this organization higher, higher, higher.

Devotional: In lieu of a devotion, Ike Nelson presented a challenge to put aside our differences and love one another. We used to call one another family, let’s get back to that. BC offered prayer for our organization.

Acknowledge father’s in recognition of Father’s Day. Thank you father’s for setting an example of our Heavenly Father.

Fund Raiser

Please remember to turn in your money from the sale of the tickets as it is collected. Thank you for everyone’s hard work!

Mag shared information regarding ticket sales that will enable two individuals to attend the State Convention. The remaining proceeds will be contributed towards an NFB scholarship. The tickets are $1.00/each. One $100 gift card and two $50 gift cards are available for winnings.

Need a ride to the chapter dinner? Call David or Ike. A round trip ride to the meeting is $5.00 per person. If you know of someone interested in driving, please let Ike know as soon as possible.

Dates to Remember:

-         ***July meeting === July 21st***

-         August 25-28 – 66th Annual State Convention

-         Labor Day weekend – Columbia chapter getaway to Rocky Bottom

-         Oct. 28th -30th – Columbia chapter getaway to Rocky Bottom

In Sympathy

Please remember the families that have lost loved ones associated with our federation family.

-         Debra Canty’s mother passed away recently

Please remember these members in your thoughts as they are ill/hospitalized:

-         Marshall Tucker

-         Earnest Gallman

-         Dale Woltoff

Have you been confused on who you should send an email if you have a question? I know I have heard from several members saying they have encountered this dilemma. In order to reduce future confusion, a new email address has been created to seek information from the secretary or treasurer. The new email address is  <mailto:Nfbsc.columbia at gmail.com> Nfbsc.columbia at gmail.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

We look forward to seeing you at our next chapter meeting on July 21st, 2022! At this time, we plan to meet face-to-face unless numbers begin to rise. Our desire is to keep everyone safe and healthy.