[NFBofSC] question about dues

Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman jaduffell at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 14:48:03 UTC 2022

This is my first time sending a posting request and this may have been covered elsewhere, but from the most recent Positive Note I believe there is an error or, if not an error, the wording isn't clear. I've copied and pasted below, but in summary, May 31 of the year is given as the cut-off date, to vote, for annual dues for current, new and 2 year lapsed members.  Shouldn't May 31 be the cut-off for current members while new and lapsed members are given a later date? If all members, current, new and returning are all responsible for the May 31 cut off date, the use of two paragraphs and separation of the new and current members is confusing to me. Thank you, Jennifer
"For current and new NFB of SC members, dues must be paid by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, May 31, 2022.  That means that your state dues must be paid and received, and the NFB of SC membership form must be completed by the deadline.  If both of those two things are not done, you will not be able to vote in the elections at the August convention.  With just under two months to go, everyone has lots of time to ensure both  components of the membership process are complete by then. If anyone needs assistance paying their dues online and/or filling out the membership form, please get in touch with either Steve or Shannon Cook.  If anyone else has good technology skills and is willing to help too, please let Steve Cook know.
Beginning in 2023, and for each subsequent year thereafter,  for current members, dues will be due no later than 11:59 p.m. January 31.  If dues are not received by January 31 along with the requisite membership form, you will be delinquent and ineligible to vote at that year’s state convention. For new members who have not been a member in two or more years, or who are brand new members, their dues will be due by 11:59 p.m. on May 31 of that year.  The same rules apply.  If the new member’s dues are not paid by then, they cannot vote in that year’s state convention elections."

Jennifer A. Duffell-Hoffman
SC Parents of Blind Children, Representative
Lancaster, South Carolina
Mobile: 803-287-5391
E-mail: jaduffell at yahoo.com

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.