[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1931

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Aug 14 11:01:07 UTC 2023

August 14, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1931
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

The week of our 67th State convention is here and there is much yet to be done to get ready.  There is also much excitement as, in many ways, we are all preparing for the 67th family reunion of our National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina family.  The board, our convention arrangements committee and I appreciate your patience as final details are handled. The agenda is now available for viewing on the listserv and on the website.

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Parents of Blind Children will present Navigating an Individualized Education Program on Friday, August 18, 2023 from 2:00-3:50 p.m. Presenters include Carol Castellano, President of the National Parents of Blind Children Division and Dr. Tina S. Herzberg, Professor of the Visual Impairment Preparation Program at the University of South Carolina Upstate. Both presenters bring different perspectives and are highly regarded within the field of blindness education. You are encouraged to invite parents, rehabilitation counselors, teachers of the blind and visually impaired and others to attend this informative workshop. Thanks to Sonia Timmons for putting this training opportunity together!

Again, we thank the Blind Merchants division for the boxed lunches on Saturday! We have gathered as many choices from you as we are able and time is almost out. If you have not made a boxed lunch choice, please contact David Houck at 803-254-3777. The absolute deadline is close of business on Monday, August 14, 2023.

We appreciate the sponsors who have contributed thus far to support our convention. If you delivered a sponsorship letter, please touch base to determine if the businesses you asked plan to do so.

Based on registration numbers, we will need a great many door prizes to share with attendees at the NFB of SC State Convention. Please bring them to the convention and give them to Lenora Robertson, Door Prize chair, or Andrew Adams, Door Prize co-chair. When gathering door prizes, please keep the following in mind:

  *   Door prizes must be valued at a minimum of $10
  *   Cash is accepted
  *   Gift cards
  *   New gifts in their original packaging
  *   If anyone wants to contribute a large door prize either money or a hotel stay, dinner out, etc. that is also very welcome

Let's have an abundance of door prizes to share with convention attendees this year!

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention at the early bird rate closed on Friday, August 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.  The cost is now $100 for adults, $60 for students and $30 for children under eighteen. Parents must register all children under 18 years old at the cost of $30 per person.  Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you.

Computers for the Blind is running a special on laptops with either JAWS or Fusion on them through August. The cost of these computers is $50.  All you need to do to receive one of these computers is fill out an application, mention the NFB National Convention and pay the $50 charge. Please spread the word!

Important Things to Remember:

*        Bring your door prizes

*        Convention sponsorships

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Speaking of conventions, on July 1 to July 4, 1969, the 29th annual convention of the National Federation of the Blind was the only NFB convention held in South Carolina in Columbia at the Wade Hampton Hotel. There were 1,000 participants (180 were South Carolinians). Since the state and national convention took place at the same time, this was the largest state convention to date. As is usual, overflow hotels were also utilized. On Monday evening there was a reception held at the Governor's Mansion hosted by Gov. and Mrs. McNair. Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, NFB President, was the NFB representative. Lois Boltin (Tucker) was the Aurora (now NFB of SC) President. Barry Chavis sculpted a bust of NFB Founder, Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, which was presented to Dr. Jernigan. On Wednesday afternoon, 425 convention delegates boarded Greyhound buses for an afternoon tour of Charleston. On Thursday, South Carolina's programs for the blind were featured. The Thursday convention Banquet held 700 delegates with the remaining delegates seated in the foyer outside the ballroom. Marshall Tucker played the piano, leading the music at the Banquet. Donald Capps was the Master of Ceremonies.  As usual, convention business and speakers were heard from. It is hoped that one day we may once again host an NFB National Convention if we can attract a convention hotel big enough. By the way, I believe this NFB convention was the first one attended by Dr. Marc Maurer, now our previous NFB President.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091