[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 08/14/2023

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 16 10:03:17 UTC 2023

Dear Federation Family,

The summer is slipping past quickly. This weekend marks the first convention of our “fall” convention season. There is a busy agenda ahead and still much progress for us to make.

Last Friday I had the opportunity to attend the final social hour for our NFB BELL® Academy In-Home Edition. One of the students asked me a question I had never been asked. I asked them for their own answers and thought I should give you all the joy of considering this question, as well.

I was asked, “you talked about legal blindness, can you tell us what illegal blindness is…”

Critical Items:

August Presidential Release Available

The National Federation of the Blind  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> Presidential Release #529 chapter version is available. Additional formats are also available. Please mark your calendars for the next Presidential Release scheduled for September 7, 2023, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, from Chicago, Illinois.

Uber Town Hall Meeting:

Uber is conducting a second town hall meeting regarding service animals on Wednesday, August 16, at 8:30 p.m., eastern, in case you missed the first call and want to have an opportunity to participate. The Zoom <https://uber.zoom.us/j/92332268533?pwd=Z3NwREdpQXNtaEVxWXVjaDFZUGo1QT09> Meeting ID: 923 3226 8533; Password: 169551. Or one-tap mobile: +13017158592,,92332268533#,,,#,,169551#;169551#

Vehicle Donations

The National Federation of the Blind uses car donations to improve the education of blind children, distribute free white canes, help veterans, and so much more. We have partnered with Vehicles for Charity to process donated vehicles. Please call toll-free 855-659-9314, and a representative can make arrangements, or you can donate online by visiting  <http://www.nfb.org/vehicledonations> www.nfb.org/vehicledonations.

Preauthorized Contributions (PAC)

Can you help the National Federation of the Blind on a regular basis? Please consider joining our preauthorized contribution plan. Starting at $5 monthly, you can help us turn dreams into reality and raise expectations for blind people. Visit  <https://nfb.org/pac> nfb.org/pac to fill out the online form or email  <mailto:pac at nfb.org> pac at nfb.org for additional information.

Route 66 Ride for Literacy Update:

The National Federation of the Blind Route 66 Ride for Literacy with Dan O’Rourke is still going strong. Dan is in New Mexico, heading toward Texas. He has celebrated his ride so far with Federationists in California, Arizona, and New Mexico. Please share this ride with your friends and family to raise awareness on the importance of Braille literacy and connecting with our community. Follow the Ride for Literacy at  <https://nfb.org/route66> nfb.org/route66.

College Preparation/Maintenance Workshop:

Our employment/career exploration unit within the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute delivered a College Preparation/Maintenance Workshop for Pre-Employment Transition Students (Pre-ETS) and other qualified vocational rehabilitation consumers in Gulfport, Mississippi. The workshop addressed essential post-secondary readiness skills that relate to blindness, with subjects ranging from self-advocacy at the university setting, coping with social isolation/loneliness as a blind student at college, acquisition and strengthening of both elementary and independence skills of blindness, and developing a defined philosophy of blindness as a blind college student. For more information about the workshop, please reach out to Dan Fry at  <mailto:dfry at nfb.org> dfry at nfb.org or phone at 410-659-9314, extension 2393.

Along this same line, we are working with blindness VR professionals in the Federation to develop a standard curriculum for front-line VR professionals (e.g., VR counselors, rehab techs, TVIs) so that we can begin to shape the messages they share with potential consumers. When this curriculum is finalized, I’ll share it with affiliate leaders so that you can help us market this training to your VR agencies as well.

Procuring Accessible Software Boutique:

The National Federation of the Blind is hosting an accessibility boutique that will cover purchasing accessible software for an organization. Take advantage of this free opportunity to learn how to navigate the different software that is available.  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration> Register for the Procuring Accessible Software Boutique today! The boutique is scheduled to take place on Tuesday, August 29, from 2:00-3:30 p.m., eastern, via Zoom.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	August 16: Call for affiliate presidents to ask questions about the Kenneth Jernigan Leadership-in-Service Program, 8:00 p.m.
*	August 16: Uber Town Hall #2, 8:30 p.m.
*	August 25: Deadline for submissions for the Kenneth Jernigan Leadership-in-Service Program
*	August 31: Deadline for affiliates  <mailto:actionfund at actionfund.org> to request calendars
*	September 14 and 17: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind Equality Achievement Month)
*	October: Blind Equality Achievement Month
*	November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the Year Ahead)
*	July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 |  <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org> Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Mastodon: @President at nfb.social

Pronouns: he, him, his