[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1948

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Dec 11 12:00:33 UTC 2023

December 11, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1948
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

The holiday season is in full swing and chapters across the state are holding holiday parties. Board members are attending these events and representing the NFB of SC well!

On Tuesday, December 5, 2023, the Federation Center of the Blind and Successful Transitions held its joint Christmas celebration. Employees of both entities were present and a delicious meal was prepared and served by Isaiah Nelson and Anita Beasley.  The Oversight Committee for Successful Transitions including Debra Canty, Chair, and Frank Coppel and Ed Bible were also present for this event. We are grateful for the people that work in our programs and appreciate their efforts!

After attending the Division of Outreach Services statewide meeting on Friday, December 8, 2023, several Federationists  headed to Rock Hill for the Rock Hill Chapter Christmas party. President Lenora Robertson knows how to do it well! I represented the NFB of SC and board member Thom Spittle with his wife, Tracy, attended as well. Thom provided a Christmas selection and I offered greetings from the state organization. There were gifts for all and a wonderful meal was provided by Rick and Theresa Jenkins, both members of the Rock Hill Chapter. Anthony Nelson from the Columbia chapter and Trent Tedder and Glenda Culick from the Clarendon County Chapter were also in attendance.

On Saturday, December 9, 2023, I traveled to Bishopville for the Lee County Chapter's Christmas Banquet. Linda Dizzley also knows how to do it right! Others in attendance were Doug Hudson and Katie as well as Steve and Shannon Cook, all from the Columbia Chapter. Other guests from the area were also present along with Trent Tedder from the Clarendon County Chapter. I delivered greetings from the NFB of SC, Shannon provided two beautiful selections and Steve Spoke on the Computer Science and Technology Division and the SC Association of Guide Dog Users Division. There were other inspiring speakers and individuals who provided musical selections. There were no less than three pianists in the house! A delicious meal was provided by a local caterer and everyone had a great time! There were many door prizes given out during this party.

In April, 2023, John Williams accepted an appointment as the Assistant Treasurer for the NFB of SC. Due to other commitments, he is unable to fulfill this role at this time. After careful consideration and discussion, Theresa Jenkins of the Rock Hill Chapter will serve as the Assistant Treasurer. We are moving quickly to get everything in place and plan for Theresa to begin this work at the beginning of January. In due course, we will share her e-mail address and phone number so that you may direct questions to her when needed.

>From Steve Cook
The SC Association of Guide Dog Users (SCAGDU) is having a Honey Baked Ham fundraiser that promises to be a delectable and heartwarming experience for all participants. The savory allure of Honey Baked Ham's signature dishes is sure to draw you in for the wonderful flavors! The centerpiece of the fundraiser is, of course, their mouthwatering, slow-roasted ham, glazed to perfection with their unique blend of honey and spices. Whether it's served in slices, sandwiches, or as part of a wholesome meal, the unmistakable flavor of Honey Baked Ham is a crowd-pleaser that brings people together for a common cause. To complement the main attraction, a delightful array of sides, desserts, and beverages, all carefully selected from the Honey Baked Ham menu, will create an unforgettable dining experience.

In addition to the culinary delights, a Honey Baked Ham gathering around good foods has a unique way of uniting people, memorable and meaningful occasions. It's an opportunity for friends, family and neighbors to come together, savor delicious food and contribute to a worthy cause. With Honey Baked Ham's quality and reputation, you can be confident that your meal will be a flavorful success, bringing people closer while making a positive impact.

The SC Association of Guide dog Users invites you to go to Honey Baked Ham <https://www.honeybaked.com/fundraising/SCAGDU> to purchase your Honey Baked Ham store gift card!

Your support is greatly appreciated!!!!

The Friends of Rocky Bottom fundraising campaign is now underway and will conclude on December 31, 2023. There are a variety of prizes available for those who contribute in certain amounts. This will assist Rocky Bottom with the winter months when income is low and rentals are non-existent. Individually and as chapters or divisions, please consider what you can give. For more information about this fundraiser, contact Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344 or via e-mail at nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com<mailto:nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com> for additional information.

The Annual Statewide Seminar will take place on January 6, 2024 at the Federation Center of the Blind beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding no later than 4:00 p.m. This is our mid-year NFB of SC meeting and we want as many members as possible to join us. Last year, we had approximately 125 members present and a great time of learning took place. Chapter presidents should contact David Houck via e-mail at nfbsc at sc.rr.com<mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> or via telephone at 803-254-3777 and let him know how many plan to come from your chapter to assist with food planning.

Things to Remember

  *   Friends of Rocky Bottom Fundraiser
  *   SCAGDU Fundraiser
  *   State Dues
  *   Chapter Elections
  *   Statewide Seminar on January 6, 2024

Here is David Houck's Federation Facing Fact.

This week, the Blind Who Lead the Blind will provide background information on the late Dr. Donald C. and Betty Capps, the long-time leaders of the NFB of SC.

Dr. Donald C. Capps and Betty Capps were residents of Mullins, SC. Their children included Beth and Craig. Their grandchildren include Aaron, Michael and Laura. Mr. Capps graduated from Mullins high school and Drauhon's Business College. He worked at Colonial Life as a Claims Administrator for 38 years.

Dr. Capps was the Founder of the Federation Center of the Blind in 1961. He was also Chairman of the Board of Directors and Founder of Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind in 1979. He served 40 years as President of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina. By the time he retired in 2000, he organized 60 local chapters and a half dozen statewide divisions. He served as Senior Board member of the National Federation of the Blind and traveled to all 50 states doing Federation business. He served on the World Blind Union, representing in Cairo, Melbourne and Madrid. He served on the Board of the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind for 25 years. He served on  the Forest Acres Rotary Club for 40 years and became a Paul Harris fellow.

His awards and honors included the NFB's Jacobus tenBroek Award in 1977, Colonel Sanders "Colonel's Way Award", Jefferson Award winner,  Doctor of the Federation Award by the NFB, Outstanding Leader in Education Award by the National Public Relations Association and the 150th Anniversary Book of the SCSDB was dedicated in Dr. Capps honor. Dr. Capps received the state's highest honor, The Order of the Palmetto and Betty Capps received the Order of the Silver Crescent. Last but not least, Dr. Capps received an honorary Doctorate in Public Service from USC Spartanburg.

Dr. Donald C. Capps was certainly a vibrant man with insight and foresight.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091