[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1907

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Feb 27 12:00:51 UTC 2023

February 27, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1907
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

The legislative breakfast was a huge success, even with unexpected changes in the assigned location. Because of construction, only half of room 112 in the Blatt Building was available. Ed Bible, Anna Price and I greeted legislators and staff as they entered, while Andrenia Corder and Melissa Edens ensured that attendees received the prepared packets with business cards enclosed. I am grateful to State Board members Debra Canty, Shannon Cook, Andrew Adams, Linda Dizzley and Isaiah Nelson for working the room and talking with our guests during the breakfast. A huge thank you to Co-chairs Ed Bible and Anna Price, as well as everyone on the Legislative and Advocacy Committee, for a job well done!

Long-time Federationist Levern Wilson was laid to rest on Saturday, February 25, 2023 at 12:00 p.m. Levern had a huge impact on the lives of so many people both in South Carolina and in New York. People who new him in New York made contact with me and expressed their appreciation for Levern and his life. Let us continue to remember his wife, Jeri and daughter, Valerie in the days that are ahead.

Sonia Timmons is working diligently to re-establish the SC Parents of Blind Children Division. She is moving forward in a very thoughtful way, and we anticipate this division will hold its re-organization meeting at the state convention in August, 2023. The first event will take place on April 13 2023 at 6:00 p.m. via Zoom. Service providers from the SC Commission for the Blind will talk with parents and others and take questions. There is more to come regarding this event.

Important Things to Remember:

  *   Rocky Bottom ticket sales (Drawing on March 25, 2023)
  *   Annual Vision Summit on March 17, 2023
  *   Statewide Leadership Seminar on March 25, 2023
  *   SCPOBC on April 13, 2023
  *   Lions Vision Services Fishing trip
  *   Houston ticket sales

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Facing fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

The NFB of SC has passed some 44 pieces of legislation through the General Assembly and signed by the Governor to benefit all blind South Carolinians. One of the most important is the passage of the Model White Cane Law, providing equal treatment of the blind in all areas of life.

15.    1972 - Bill #3071 gives rights to blind persons as to access to and enjoyment of public buildings, conveyances, housing facilities, use of guide dogs and to provide for an annual White Cane Safety Day each October 15, known as The Model White Cane Law.

Lessons Learned: Be watchful or your hard fought battles may be of reduced effect.

31.    2000 - Stopped legislative initiative which would "water down" the effectiveness of "The Model White Cane Law."

This bill has been used to assist the blind in using taxis, Uber, Lift, etc., for access  to fast food and other places of business with a guide dog, and even litigation regarding a blind person's access to a cruise ship. It is not a bad idea to carry a copy of the law on your person. Each October 15, the Governor issues a White Cane Proclamation which reminds the public of this important law and encourages all South Carolinians to treat the blind as the able bodied are treated.