[NFBofSC] Week of March 7, 2023 President Riccobono's Notebook, National Items of Interest and Dates to Keep in Mind

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Wed Mar 8 11:06:44 UTC 2023

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org
410-659-9314

 Dear Federation Family,

Do you ask yourself, Why Am I a Federationist? More importantly, do you have an answer? Have you thought about your answer and how you can articulate it to others? To state it more directly, what is your story?

I find that Federation leaders sometimes get caught up in the “what” of the movement rather than the “why.” I try to refocus leaders, including myself, to remember that the “what” must be grounded in the “why.” When we have to do the key administrative tasks and make sure we file all the right papers on time, it is to allow us to achieve the “why” that fuels our mission. If you have not considered "why" and if you have not practiced telling your story, now is the time. Take time to think deeply about the "why." Consider how you want to tell your "why" story to others in the movement. Then go out and start sharing your "why" story. If you truly open your heart as part of that story, I promise you that you and others will learn something from the story you tell.

In case you are having trouble getting started, I call you to the fact that the Braille Monitor has published many "why" stories over the years. Dr. Jernigan's is one of those that is better known and remembered. You can find it at  <https://nfb.org/sites/default/files/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm12/bm1201/bm120108.htm> https://nfb.org/sites/default/files/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm12/bm1201/bm120108.htm. There are dozens of others in the pages of the Braille Monitor or in our  <https://nfb.org/resources/jacobus-tenbroek-library/collections/kernel-books> Kernel Book series.

Dedicate some time to perfecting your "why" story. It will build the movement in ways you cannot imagine.

Critical Actions:

March Presidential Release Chapter Version Available:

The National Federation of the Blind  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> Presidential Release #525 chapter version is available. Additional formats coming soon. Please mark your calendars for the next Presidential Release scheduled for April 4, 2023, at 8 p.m. eastern.

News:

National Convention Registration Open:

The 2023 NFB National Convention will be a truly exciting and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and rededication to the goals and work of our movement. A wide range of seminars for parents of blind children, technology enthusiasts, job seekers, and other groups will kick the week off on Saturday, July 1, in Houston, Texas. Registration for #NFB23 is now open at  <https://nfb.org/registration> nfb.org/registration.

Affiliate Finance 2023:

Affiliates are transitioning to QuickBooks Online (QBO) for better financial management and coordination with the NFB affiliate finance group. Changing to QBO upgrades the affiliate’s financial processes, produces better and more informative reports, and reduces everyone’s data entry workload.

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act:

The Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act was introduced in the House by Representative Jan Schakowsky of Illinois on Wednesday, March 1. The bill number is H.R. 1328, and it was introduced with thirty-two original, bipartisan cosponsors. Your advocacy at last month’s Washington Seminar was, without question, a catalyst for the bill’s introduction. As a reminder, the bill will require all Class II and Class III medical devices with a digital interface to be accessible and will go into effect three years after it is signed into law. This legislation will allow blind Americans to safely and independently monitor their health. Keep up the advocacy by calling or emailing your members of Congress and asking them to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act, H.R. 1328.

Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act:

The Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act was introduced in both the House and the Senate last week. On Monday, February 27, Senator Bob Casey of Pennsylvania introduced the bill in the Senate, with Senator Steve Daines of Montana as the lead cosponsor. The bill number is S. 533. On Tuesday, February 28, Representative Bobby Scott of Virginia introduced the bill in the House, with Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington as the lead cosponsor. The House bill number is H.R. 1263. While the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act was not one of our core Washington Seminar issues this year, this bill is still immensely important, as it will phase-out and sunset Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, eliminating subminimum wages for people with disabilities. Please call or email your members of Congress and ask them to cosponsor the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act.

Congratulations to the Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest Winners:

The 2022-2023 Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest winners were announced last week on Read Across America Day, March 2. Participants in the contest track the minutes they read Braille and log them at  <http://actionfund.beanstack.org/> actionfund.beanstack.org. Over six hundred thousand minutes were tracked in the forty-nine days of the contest. The National Federation of the Blind is pleased to partner with the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, which hosts the contest, to strengthen Braille literacy and to create opportunities to put Braille in the hands of blind children and adults. Read the  <https://actionfund.org/node/660> American Action Fund winner announcement and share the  <https://www.facebook.com/americanactionfundforblindchildrenandadults/posts/pfbid02CWAcpZr3PWFJdL864L7eExvuFTpsrF5tUDiWTZXLv2JTduPLCtUdfjnpAD4VBGsjl?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZXCLFJTdyOEhqTuleb9eyBG2Gk4ItvMgaU7R5Swf-KEsIZMNxBywQdXe7VEjxBQStynRrJjV_cZJIamnLkf97fZjhDPRLe9NC6Yj8PN4EyUw_EJQ3lFYqmkXqFzr97yydLBueDYWTrIw9viNt_6sF9qmYayHEcZ7QZkhOCJxHLpsyeg96EC89H1hfn_GjDxyIU&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R> Facebook video announcement.

Read and Share the Braille Monitor:

Access the latest issue of our flagship publication. Read about the significance of the Washington Seminar, legislative agenda fact sheets, celebration of life of Scott LaBarre, stories from members, and more.  <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm23/bm2303/bm2303tc.htm> March Braille Monitor (English)

Scholarship Program Deadline Approaching:

The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind college students reach their educational and employment goals and so much more. Building on its strong foundation, we have enhanced the awards granted—making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful for the thirty finalists. Each scholarship winner will receive $8,000. Deadline to apply is March 31. Encourage students to  <https://scholarships.nfb.org/> apply for the 2023 scholarship program.

Google Workspace: Accessible Platform, Accessible Content:

The Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Accessibility will present a half-day seminar Wednesday, March 22, from 1:00 to 5:00, eastern. Presenters will explain the accessibility of the Google ecosystem and best practices for creating accessible content using Google Workspace. Learn more about this event and register at  <http://www.nfb.org/cena> www.nfb.org/cena.

The State of Remote Desktop Management:

CENA will present an accessibility boutique on March 28 from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m., eastern, discussing the accessible tools available for connecting remotely to other computers—even those without a screen reader running. This is essential in IT administration and is a powerful training tool, especially in one-on-one settings. Find out more about these events and register at  <http://www.nfb.org/cena> www.nfb.org/cena.

Lyft Up and Share:

On the Lyft app, encourage people in your lives to add the National Federation of the Blind as an option to receive contributions every time you ride. Lyft passes on 100 percent of these donations to us. This is an opportunity to make an easy ask of those we know like family, friends, and colleagues. Please share the following blurb with members in emails and social media to help encourage people to participate. You can copy and paste the following:

An exciting and easy giving option for everyone: the organized blind movement has joined the Lyft Up program, so you can contribute every time you ride with Lyft. The program will round up the cost of your ride to the nearest dollar and donate the difference. In the Lyft app, simply go to the menu, navigate to donate, and choose National Federation of the Blind. Share this with all of your friends and family, because all of our small change leads to making a big difference. Thank you for your support!

Department of Justice Section 508 Report:

Last month, the US Department of Justice released a report regarding the accessibility of Federal Electronic and Information Technology. The report showed that one in ten public-facing websites at major federal departments and agencies are inaccessible. It also showed that approximately 60 percent of internal websites at major federal departments and agencies are inaccessible. Senator Bob Casey (Pennsylvania), the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Aging, expressed disappointment in the data by declaring “the federal government has a lot more work to do to make technology accessibility … a priority and fulfill our promise to Americans with disabilities.”

Medicaid Eligibility Verification:

The federal government is giving states up to one year to determine whether their residents are still eligible to receive Medicaid. Over the course of the next twelve months, the states are required to verify the personal information of all Medicaid recipients. This includes contact information, income, and household size. If you are receiving Medicaid, we strongly advise you to contact your state’s Medicaid office to verify your address so that you will be able to receive updates from them. Additionally, please make sure that you pay attention to any correspondence you receive from your state’s Medicaid office and answer it if necessary.

New Apparel in the Independence Market:

The Independence Market has brand-new NFB apparel! We have cotton polos in black, red, and blue that come in a wide variety of sizes for just $24. We also have windbreaker jackets in black, red, and green for just $30. Lastly, black skull caps are available for $20. Call the Independence Market today to get yours!

Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

*	March 23: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	May 10: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	JEngagement and National Convention)
*	July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas
*	August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.