[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1966

president at nfbofsc.org president at nfbofsc.org
Sun Apr 14 20:36:07 UTC 2024

April 14, 2024

From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President

Positive Note 1966

843-939-8091   <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org> president at nfbofsc.org

Dear Federation Family,

Sometimes, a busy season causes us as Federationist to become mired in the
details, leading to a loss of focus on the important things. For me, the
first three and one-half months of 2024 have been some of the busiest in my
life, causing me to ponder what I may have missed. In these times of our
lives, it is always good to return to the foundation of the National
Federation of the Blind and its philosophy. Let's take time to read the
publications such as The Braille Monitor or Future Reflections that keep us
grounded in Federation philosophy and provide beneficial information. Your
hard work as members is greatly appreciated! Remember, "alone we can do so
little, together we can do so much!" Helen Keller

>From Steve Cook

If you have any upcoming events, meetings, comments or concerns about our
NFB of SC website, please send them to WebMaster at nfbofsc.org .

The 10th Annual Advocacy Day for Access and Independence (ADAI) will take
place on Tuesday, April 16, 2024, from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon on the north
steps of the SC State House. This will be a fun time with snacks, free
T-Shirts, and a lively program with speakers from the disability community,
lawmakers, and advocates. Visit  <http://www.unlockingbarriers-sc.org>
www.unlockingbarriers-sc.org for more information about this event. One of
the speakers this year will be our very own Jesus Ramirez from Successful
Transitions. Please join us to support the greater disability community of
our state as we take collective action to improve the public's awareness of
our strengths and barriers to independence. The National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina is one of over 70 organizations that are a part of
this effort making up the SC Access for Independence Network (SCAIN. If you
have any questions, you can contact me Shannon Cook as the NFB of SC ADAI
Rep at 803-605-4250 or call Able-SC at 803-779-5121.

Midlands Gives will take place on May 7, 2024, and once again the NFB of SC
and Rocky Bottom are participating.  Rocky Bottom hopes to win the Power
Hour from twelve to one PM on that day by achieving the most unique
donations.  Unique donations are determined by name, email address and
credit card number, and a minimum ten dollar donation is required. To
donate, visit  <http://www.midlandsgives.org/nfbofsc>
www.midlandsgives.org/nfbofsc or  <http://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom>
www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom. You can also call the Federation Center
on May 7, 2024 for assistance giving online. You may also give $10 through
your local chapter and this can be applied to the Power Hour. Please reach
out to Valerie Warrington at treasurer at nfbofsc.org or to Marty McKenzie for
additional information.

>From the Fundraising Committee, Co-chaired by Debra Canty and Andrew Adams

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina will host a Family
Fun Day on June 1, 2024 at Weston Lakes in Hopkins SC. This is a time for
fellowship, food, and fun! In order for this to be a success, we are
requesting chapters and divisions to donate $50  in order to secure the
venue as well as members of  the state affiliate to collect donations in the
form of gift cards from local grocery stores and businesses in their areas.
This event is a giveback to the members  of the affiliate to show our
appreciation for everything you do! Please contact Andrew Adams at
<mailto:adams.andrew at gmail.com> adams.andrew at gmail.com or via telephone at
803-269-3803 to obtain a copy of the donation letter.

Registration for the National Convention is now open.  The event will take
place July 3-8 in Orlando, Florida.  The registration cost is $25 and
banquet tickets are $75. You can go to
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention to locate additional
information about the National Convention as it becomes available.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the National Federation
of the Blind of South Carolina State Convention being held on August 15-18,
2024. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for
singles, doubles, triples and quads. You may call the Embassy Suites at
803-252-8700. Reference the NFB of SC State Convention to obtain the special
rate. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold
is placed on your card until check-in. The cut-off for room reservations is
July 25, 2024.

Registration for the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students
and $25 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after
July 25, 2024. Please visit  <https://nfbofsc.org/node/178>
https://nfbofsc.org/node/178 to register online. If you need assistance to
register online, , please contact me and someone will assist you.

>From Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Recreation Division

Our Sports And Rec fundraiser is extended to August, coinciding with the
state convention. All purchased tickets remain valid. Purchase $20 tickets
for a chance to win big, including a $750 and a $250 giveaway. Contributions
support our Sports Camp Week for the Blind at Rocky Bottom Retreat and
Conference Center of the Blind in Upstate South Carolina. Led by the NFBSC
Sports and Rec Division, our mission is inclusive sports. Purchase tickets
via PayPal at  <https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc>
https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc or Zelle at srnfbsc21 at yahoo.com. Goal:
sell 100+ tickets by August 17, 2024, with the drawing at the state
convention. Spread the word! For more information, contact Lori Anne Coley
at 803-316-9838.

NFB of SC Scholarship Announcement 2024

Let's do more in 24! We are springing into the 2024 NFB of SC Scholarship
Program season. With the state convention being August 15 - 18, 2024, the
deadline for scholarship applications is 11:59 p.m. June 20, 2024. The
committee will meet about one month before the state convention to select
the top three applicants and winners will be notified following the meeting.
The updated scholarship application is now available at
<https://nfbofsc.org/scholarship-program>
https://nfbofsc.org/scholarship-program.  Please also remember that the
scholarship program operates exclusively on donations. If you, your chapter,
your division, your civic organization, church etc., would like to
contribute a scholarship or donate to the Metro Fund, please contact me,
Shannon Cook at  <mailto:scholarships at nfbofsc.org> scholarships at nfbofsc.org
or 803-605-4250. Please help us get the word out about the program. If you
or someone you know is in post-secondary education full time, please
encourage them to apply for a scholarship! Thank you.

Things to Remember

*	Midlands Gives on May 7, 2024
*	National Convention room reservations due by May 31, 2024
*	Family Fun Day on June 1, 2024
*	NFB of SC Scholarship applications are due by June 20, 2024 at 11:59
p.m.
*	National Convention dates are July 3-8, 2024 at the Rosen Center
Hotel in Orlando, Florida
*	NFB of SC State Convention Registration and Room Reservations are
due by July 25, 2024.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President

National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

119 S. Kilbourne Road

Columbia, SC 29205

Phone: 803-254-3777

Mobile: 843-939-8091