[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1953

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Jan 15 13:28:49 UTC 2024

January 15, 2024
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1953
843-939-8091  president at nfbofsc.org<mailto:president at nfbofsc.org>

Dear Federation Family,

Monday, January 15, 2024 is recognized as Martin Luther King Junior Day. This is a federal and state holiday that celebrates the life and legacy of a great leader in our country. It is also recognized as a national day of service. The famous I Have a Dream speech is as powerful today as it was when first delivered. The civil rights of all people are extremely important, and Dr. King worked tirelessly toward equity throughout his life. While significant progress has been made, there is much work still to be done.

Can you believe it? We are two weeks into the new year and moving quickly toward the Washington Seminar. We have a large number of individuals going this year and I am excited about what they will do on behalf of the NFB of SC! We are finalizing transportation plans and look forward to hearing from them in early February.

The below article was printed in the Sumter Item and is an interview with Second Vice President, Debra Canty. This article is reprinted here with permission of its author. Koodos to Debra Canty on obtaining a huge amount of press coverage in 2023!

Faith and a strong spirit characterize Debra Canty
Sumter Chapter of National Federation of the Blind of S.C. celebrates 50 years

Debra Canty has served as president of the Sumter chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina for more than 20 years.

Posted Saturday, December 16, 2023 6:00 am
BY BRUCE MILLS
bruce at theitem.com<mailto:bruce at theitem.com>

Many of her sighted friends call her the "Blind Social Butterfly," and Debra Canty is the longtime leader of the Sumter Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina.

The local organization recently celebrated its 50th anniversary, and its 50th Annual Fundraiser Christmas Gala was on Tuesday and had 300 attendees. As chapter president, Canty sat down recently with The Sumter Item to share her main message to the blind and their families.

THE MESSAGE
"You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

That is the key part of the National Federation of the Blind's one-minute message to people on its website, and Canty lives that message out in her own life with others.

Her main goal as Sumter chapter president is to do whatever it takes to improve the quality of life for blind people in general. That starts with encouraging family members of the blind to encourage that loved one to live a productive and independent life, she said.

Next, it is important to discover what stage in their blindness people are at in life.

An initial stage often is denial and isolation, Canty said, but there are resources available to assist the blind and sight impaired.

"I encourage them to believe in themselves," she said. "Believe that whatever they set their mind out to do, they can do it. They may need some assistance from others to get it done, but you have to believe. For me, it all starts with my faith, and I have a belief in doing things. It is important to not be afraid and to step out and do things. There is a lot of technology, assistance and training that will allow a person to live as independently as possible."

Next, it is important for the blind and sight impaired to always be in a position to speak for themselves and not allow others to speak for them.

For example, when a sighted person takes Canty to a doctor's appointment, the receptionist will always ask that person for her name.

"I always say that we have to learn to speak and say, 'My name is Debra Canty, and my appointment is at 10 a.m.,'" she said. "Then, normally they will start talking to you."

Finally, the blind should always be able to use their cane to get where they choose to go.

Most people just want the blind to sit and not be active, she said.

"People say, 'Sit where they put you,'" Canty said. "Those are terms that we prefer not being used. You put furniture down; you don't put people down.

"Always be able to use your white cane to navigate to get where you choose to go. That cane will let you know those obstacles in front of you. Just be able to use the white cane to go through life as you choose."

As far as chapter goals, Canty is always looking to grow chapter membership, which is free, but members are obligated to obtain a state membership as well that is $10, she said.

Membership includes monthly meetings at Shiloh Randolph Manor apartment community on West Bartlette Street on the second Tuesday of each month and a plated meal. Numerous resources are also available to members in the network.

For more information on the Sumter chapter, people are advised to call Canty at (803) 775-5792.

A total of $2,600 in love offerings was given at Tuesday's Christmas Gala, but donations are always accepted, she said. Checks can be made out to NFB - Sumter Chapter and mailed to P.O. Box 641, Sumter, SC 29151.

Please note that my e-mail address has changed for Federation business. Please reach out to me at president at nfbofsc.org<mailto:president at nfbofsc.org> for anything related to the Federation. I will keep my personal address for other purposes.

Applications Are Open
The 2024 online scholarship application is available at https://nfb.org/scholarships. All applications and supporting documentation must be submitted no later than March 31, 2024. A list of eligibility requirements, as well as documents containing answers to frequently asked questions, a submissions checklist, and other supporting material can also be found on the scholarship webpage. Throughout the application period, reminders and information about the scholarship program will appear in the Braille Monitor, on our website, and will be shared via social media. Please share!

Things to Remember

  *   National Scholarship Applications due by March 31, 2024
  *   Sweetheart Banquet, February 10, 2024

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091