[NFBOH-Cleveland] Have You Contacted Your congressional Representative Yet? Make the call Today!

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 05:03:01 UTC 2017

Dear Fellow Federationists:

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (H.R. 1) was introduced last Thursday,
November 2 in the United States House of Representatives.

Beginning in tax year 2018, this bill will repeal the additional standard
deduction for blind people that is currently valued at $6,350.

As soon as possible, please call your representative and urge him or her to
maintain this critical tax deduction for the blind. The House Ways and
Means Committee began mark up on this bill today, Monday, November 6.

The best way to contact your member of Congress is to call the Capitol
Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for the office in question. Emailing
your member of Congress is also a good idea. If you do so, please copy me
at JPare at nfb.org.

Additional Explanation:

 The Tax Cuts and Jobs bill as currently written will eliminate the
blind tax exemption. This is the funding that many people depend upon
to help defray the additional costs of blindness: taxis, access
technology, readers, etc. Considering the unemployment rate and low
hourly pay for many of the jobs that blind people do get, this is a
very distressing loss of an entitlement program. I think that two Ohio
members are on the Ways and Means Committee, which is the one
considering this bill first. I am not sure who they are. I think Fudge
is one, but if you call your member, you might ask if he or she is a
member of this committee. We need lots of calls with the message that
this is a very bad idea. It will take lots of calls to get this
message across. This is not a time to presume that other people will
do the job for you. The Capitol switchboard number is 202-224-3121.
You can get the operator to send you to the members office from there
if you do not have the direct number.

Please take a moment to make this call now,
Barbara
Barbara Pierce
President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
440-774-8077
expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.