[NFBOH-Cleveland] Getting Ready for January 2018 NFB Braille Awareness Month?

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 02:19:29 UTC 2018

Good Day Federation Family and Friends!

Now that you have recovered  from the holiday and are looking forward
into the new year... Take a look below at some book titles to help you
to refresh your memory about the inventor of the braille code, Louis
Braille, the value and importance of braille today and the experience
of Dr. Kenneth Jernigan.
January is Braille Literacy awareness month and the Celebration of the
209th Birthday of Louis Braille!
 The Cleveland Community Engagement committee already has 1 event
planned for Wednesday January 10th! The committee is excitedly
preparing to enrich Cleveland area students, grades K thru 3 about the
importance of braille literacy.
Consider doing the same with your family and friends this month. For
ideas, give me a call. If your child or grandchild's class would like
us to visit their school, contact me.

Thanks and Happy Reading!

Louis Braille: a touch of genius DB63350
Mellor, C. Michael. Reading time: 8 hours, 15 minutes.
Read by Laura Giannarelli.

Disability
Young Adult

Biography of Louis Braille (1809-1852), a blind Frenchman who by age
sixteen designed a code of raised dots enabling blind people to read
and write easily. Discusses his schooling, his love of music, and the
advantages of his tactile reading system. For junior and senior high
and older readers. 2006.
Download Louis Braille: a touch of genius

Louis Braille, the boy who invented books for the blind DB41325
Davidson, Margaret. Reading time: 1 hour, 14 minutes.
Read by Brian Conn.

Biography
Disability

Louis Braille was blinded in an accident at the age of three in the
early 1800s. His desire to learn earned him a place at the Royal
Institute for Blind Youth in Paris. Young Louis's excitement at being
in the school was dampened by the tedious method of using raised
letters to read. Louis developed the dot alphabet now called braille.
For grades 3-6.
Download Louis Braille, the boy who invented books for the blind

Triumph over darkness: the life of Louis Braille DB68015
Bickel, Lennard. Reading time: 6 hours, 17 minutes.
Read by Alexander Strain.

Disability

Biography of Frenchman Louis Braille (1809-1852), who perfected a
raised-dot alphabet code named in his honor when he was only fifteen.
Discusses the development of the system of reading and writing that
opened the world of learning for blind people. 1988.
Download Triumph over darkness: the life of Louis Braille

Braille into the next millennium DB50969
Dixon, Judith M; Friends of Libraries for Blind and Physically
Handicapped Individuals in North America, Inc; Library of Congress
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
Reading time: 16 hours, 47 minutes.
Read by Annie Wauters.

Disability

Essays examining the history and future of braille include such topics
as the development of the literary, Nemeth, and music codes; braille
production; legal issues; library service; and literacy and computer
access concerns. Edited by Judith Dixon, with a foreword by Frank Kurt
Cylke and a preface by Kenneth Jernigan. 2000.
Download Braille into the next millennium

As the twig is bent DB37264
Jernigan, Kenneth; National Federation of the Blind. Reading time: 1
hour, 24 minutes.
Read by Ronald B Meyer.

Disability

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) presents essays from
individuals who discuss aspects of growing up blind. Overcoming
others' misconceptions about blindness is the central theme among
experiences such as being overprotected as children, deciding whether
or not to use a cane, and seeking employment. Contributors range from
a seven-year-old boy to the creator of the braille math code. Many
stress the importance of NFB in their lives.
Download As the twig is bent

 Download these titles from nlsbard.loc.gov or call the Ohio Library
for the Blind and Physcially Disabled at 216-623-2911 for assistance.
Thanks again and see you on Friday January 19 for the first Cleveland
chapter meeting of 2018!

Happy New Year!
--

Cheryl E. Fields

Community Engagement Chair

National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland

216-566-4317

cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com

nfbohio.org

nfb.org

I am filled with hope, energy, and love by participating in the
National Federation of the Blind because my expectations are raised,
my contributions make a difference to me and to others, and I can
celebrate the realization of my dreams with my Federation family.