[NFBOH-Cleveland] Introducing The NFB Office of Governmental Affairs on Legislative Initiatives

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 06:50:47 UTC 2018

Cleveland and New Members,

I found the below information on the NFB.ORG site and thought I would share
with my Chapter members.  The NFB Office of Governmental Affairs has
provided great explanations on the initiatives that will be the focal point
at the Washington Seminar.  I also thought that others could benefit as
well.  Some of our members do not get the opportunity to hear members from
the NFB Office of Governmental Affairs dialogue; nor attend The Great
Gather-Inn.  I have many new NFB members who have not been exposed to the
data.  Having the availability to share it by way of audio with my print
disabled members is great!

So here are the initiatives below, two are on a Podcast, click on the
MP3link to listen.   The others  are in a Pdf and audio format.

Over five hundred people from the fifty states, the District of Columbia,
and Puerto Rico; most of those attending will be blind.

MEETINGS

The Great Gathering-In will begin Monday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. at the
Holiday Inn Capitol (Capitol Ballroom) and will adjourn promptly at 7:00
p.m. The Great Gathering-In serves as our very exciting opening session to
Washington Seminar. The energy in the room is like no other. Over 500
members of the NFB come together to learn about and advocate for legislative
initiatives that will improve the lives of blind Americans. Please join us
to cast off the perception of incapacity that is too often reinforced by bad
public policies that serve to relegate blind Americans to second class
citizenship.

Legislative appointments will take place on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
in the Senate and House office buildings. A meeting for NFB members to
review the legislative progress and provide guidance will occur on Wednesday
evening.

PROGRAM

The Washington Seminar is an annual event of the National Federation of the
Blind to introduce the agenda of blind Americans--the priority issues
requiring congressional attention over the coming year. The issues are
selected from official positions of the Federation and may address concerns
in the following areas: relevant civil rights issues; educational programs
and services; rehabilitation of the blind for competitive employment; the
operation of vending facilities by blind persons on public property;
specialized library services for the blind; the organization and funding of
federal programs; Social Security and Supplemental Income programs; and
other timely topics. Approximately three legislative initiatives are chosen
for priority attention during the Washington Seminar.

Listen to Podcasts About Our Legislative Priorities

 <https://nfb.org/nations-blind/gab-session> Opposition to the "ADA
Education and Reform Act of 2017" (H.R. 620) -

In this episode, our government affairs team discusses H.R. 620, the ADA
Education and Reform Act, and its potential implications.

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/podcast/nations-blind/gab_session.mp3>
gab_session.mp3

*          <https://nfb.org/nations-blind/gab-session-2-ataa> The Access
Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) -

*         In this bonus episode, our government affairs team discusses the
Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) and what it would mean for blind
Americans.

*
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/podcast/nations-blind/ataa%20podcast.mp3>
ataa podcast.mp3

Fact Sheets in Audio and PDF

*         The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education(Aim
High) Act <https://nfb.org/aimhighfactsheet>  (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_aim_h
igh_fact_sheet.pdf> ) (Audio
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/2018_legislative_agenda/02_accessible_inst
ructional_materials_in_higher_education_act.mp3> )

*         The Access Technology Affordability Act
<http://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act>  (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_ataa_
fact_sheet.pdf> ) (Audio
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/2018_legislative_agenda/03_the_access_tech
nology_affodability_act.mp3> )

*         Opposition to the  <https://nfb.org/oppose-hr620-fact-sheet> "ADA
Education and Reform Act of 2017" (H.R. 620) (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_hr_62
0_fact_sheet.pdf> ) (Audio
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/2018_legislative_agenda/04_opposition_to_t
he_ada_education_and_reform_act_of_2017.mp3> )

*         The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for
Persons Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled
<http://nfb.org/marrakeshfactsheet>   (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_marra
kesh_treaty_fact_sheet.pdf> ) (

*         Audio
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/2018_legislative_agenda/05_the_marrakesh_t
reaty.mp3> )

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR NFB MEMBERS

*         The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education(Aim
High) Act <https://nfb.org/aim-high-act-faqs>  (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_aim_h
igh_faq.pdf> )

*         The Access Technology Affordability Act
<https://nfb.org/ATAA-FAQS>  (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_ataa_
faq.pdf> )

*         Opposition to the  <https://nfb.org/oppose-hr620-faqs> "ADA
Education and Reform Act of 2017" (H.R. 620) (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_oppos
e_hr620_faq.pdf> )

*         The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for
Persons Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled
<https://nfb.org/marrakesh-treaty-faqs>   (PDF
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/washington_seminar_2018/2018_marra
kesh_treaty_faq.pdf> )