[NFBOH-Cleveland] The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter, Introduces, 8-month-old Duman, In Celebration of Guide Dog Awareness

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 21:50:09 UTC 2019

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter

Is proud to present, 8-month-old Duman

In Celebration of Guide Dog Awareness

I am Duman, an 8-month-old puppy. I am learning to be a guide dog and I am
trying very hard. Marianne Denning wanted to train her own guide dog and she
found me at a dog rescue organization when I was 4 months old.

It is fun for me to learn new skills. I have had so many new experiences. I
have gone to stores and restaurants. It has been hard to behave in
restaurants because the food smells so good, but I can't beg at the table.

We have been staying in hotels because Marianne is teaching Braille to
adults in Ohio. I have a very good friend, Opera, who stays in the room with
us and we love to play after wearing a harness all day.

Yesterday, I went to Columbus for a meeting and had my first adventure
riding the bus. I wanted to stretch out into the aisle, but Marianne would
not let me. After I understood what she wanted I was good and enjoyed the
rest of my trip.

I am so glad Marianne found me and is teaching me how to be a guide dog. I
love to go everywhere she goes. The few times I have to stay home I cry and
cry. I just want to work and be with Marianne.

Remember, every day is "hug your dog" day. I get lots of hugs and praise.
That is important to me. Oh yes, those treats are great, too.

Marianne's guide dog

Duman, A Happy Federationist

P.S.: Please don't pet me when you see me unless you ask Marianne. I love to
be petted but I must learn my job first.