[NFBOH-Cleveland] National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter, Introduce, Porsche, In Celebrating Guide Dog Awareness

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 20:12:03 UTC 2019

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter

Introduce, Porsche,  A four-year old Black Lab

In Celebration of Guide Dog Awareness

My name is Porsche and I am a four-year-old female black lab. I was born in
White Plains New York. In 2016, I was introduced to Brooke Dowdy and I moved
to my new home in Cleveland Ohio. Guiding eyes for the blind trained me to
work alongside of Brooke.  Since my name is spelled just like the car,
Brooke always tells everyone that she drives a fast fancy car. "a black
Porsche with a red stripe. The red stripe is her red collar and a red
bandanna she wears on a regular basis LOL."

To distress, as a guide dog, I too like to go on walks with Brooke and play
hide and seek in the house. My favorite place to walk during the summer is
East Coast custard. Even when Brooke doesn't want ice cream, I always try to
take her there. because I know that Brooke can't eat ice cream quick enough
before it starts dripping on the ground, it is an extra sweet treat for me
that day. Brooke says that I am very sneaky.  But, I just got it like that!
Just when we play hide and seek, I already know all of Brooke's general
hiding places in the house. Of course, sometimes I try to cheat and peek
around the corner to watch where she is hiding. However, it is hard to keep
my tags from clanging not to give me away.

My name is Brook and I am so thankful for Porsche on a daily basis. She
makes me so confident and independent when I travel. Also, it is a lot
easier to complete everyday responsibilities than if I used my white cane.
Porsche is exactly the right match for me when it comes to guide dogs
because she adapts to my job and all the people I work with so easily. I am
a mental health counselor and on a given day, I see clients for 6 to 7 hours
per day. I have a client each hour with a different emotion; meaning that I
may have a client that is very upset and then the next hour I may have a
client that is very angry and yelling. It is definitely unexpected and a
surprise as to what I will have to deal with on an hour-to-hour schedule. It
is absolutely amazing how well Porsche adapts in response to my day with so
many people, and with all of their emotions. Things don't seem to bother her
a bit.

I hope to work with Porsche, a Federationist in the movement for a very long
time.