[NFBOH-Cleveland] Meet Dr. Carolyn Peters In Recognition of Black History Month!

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 22:24:45 UTC 2019

Carolyn Peters, Th.D., MSW, LSW is an African-American female from Dayton
Ohio.

     Dr. Peters had a medical incident in 2004, rendering her totally blind
in her right eye. After a surgical procedure and her left eye, she began
losing vision, and was diagnosed legally blind in 2006. As an older adult,
losing her vision so quickly, was devastating and most challenging. Yet, she
was determined to manage this new chapter in her life. Along with, several
of her social work colleagues, they assisted her in developing her own plan.
Dr. Peters sought assistance through the Ohio State Rehabilitation
Commission; now known as Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD).
She received mobility, and technology training to maintain employment.
However, Dr. Peters retired from her employment as a Medical Social Worker
in Dayton Ohio. As her vision continue to decrease. She then decided to
continue her education and received a Doctorate degree in 2011. Dr. Peters
published her first book, "Knowing when to go", based on the book of Ruth in
the Bible in 2012.

     Also, in 2012, she was introduced to the local chapter of the National
Federation of the Blind and attended meetings regularly. In 2013 Dr Peters
attended her first National Federation of the Blind National Convention and
Ohio State Convention. Her former local President, Richard Payne introduced
her to mentors Wilbert Turner, Dr Anthony Easley, Ivory Patello and Suzanne
Turner from the Cleveland Chapter, who assisted, acclimated and supported
her during the entire Convention. There, Dr. Peters felt her confidence
implode and rise all at the same time. "I was so afraid when I arrived.
Blind people were everywhere and doing things that I did not know that blind
people could do. They were crossing streets, going to restaurants with white
canes. We even road a street bus". Dr. Peters went on to say, "it was a
life-changing event. The educational seminars and trainings that I received
confirmed my belief that I can do anything I choose to do.  If I could
conceive it. I can believe it!

     Moreover, in 2015, at the national Federation of the Blind National
Convention in Orlando Florida; Dr. Peters was invited by Ron Brown, National
2nd Vice President to present at the "Underserved Population Committee
meeting. During that same Convention, the National Federation of the Blind
celebrated its 75th anniversary. As Dr. Peters became more involved with the
organization, she felt compelled to attend the Worldwide Blind Convention
held in the United States sponsored by The National Federation of the Blind
in Orlando Florida where over 100 countries were represented.

    Additionally, in 2017 she was asked to present at the National
Convention to the Communities of Faith division. Dr. Peters ministers where
ever she goes. She says, "We all have a story to tell. We are a light for
others, and we should shine at all times. I am BLESSED to attend
Conventions, edify to others and now be a mentor to those who at one time
felt like I did, afraid, confused and in the dark". In 2018, Dr. Peters
probably felt that she came full circle when she was asked by the national
Federation of the Blind National president, Mark Riccobono to provide the
invocation before the Saturday morning General Assembly. She is the first
female to do so. This in deed was a proud moment for Dr. Peters, her local
Chapter and the Ohio Affiliate. Then, on the next day, she was requested to
preach by the National Communities of Faith, President, Tom Anderson at the
Sunday morning worship service.

     Dr. Peters has been very active in her local Chapter as well.
Currently, since 2017, she has served as the President of the Miami Valley
Chapter in Dayton Ohio. Subsequently, she sits on the Ohio Affiliate State
Board of Directors and is the Chairperson for the Ohio membership Committee.
Dr. Peters is committed to serving in all capacities spreading the message
that "you can do anything you set your mind to. I did it, not knowing where
or how to put one foot in front of the other. We all are valuable and can
play a part. Ask questions and receive the help and mentorship from the
organization. As the Ohio Membership chairperson, I am devoted to give back
and provide new and seasoned members with love, hope and determination".

     As an experienced Medical Social Worker and Through her service to the
State of Ohio, Dr. Peters is continuing to provide leadership, mentorship
and assistance to citizens with disabilities across Ohio.  Her abilities and
compassion have afforded her with a number of opportunities to make
transformations in the lives of the blind and disabled communities. For
example, colleagues from several entities throughout Ohio highly recommended
her to become the Commissioner of the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and
former governor John Kasich made that appointment. Although Dr. Peters has
been in this position for a short time; she has made a tremendous difference
for the disabled population through advocacy, strategic planning and her
experiential living. Hence, she uses her own personal experiences and
expertise to build trust and connect with members and other blind
individuals. She is definitely living the life she wants!