[NFBOH-Cleveland] Meet Ohio Affiliate president, Richard L. Payne In Recognition of Celebrating Black History Month

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:33:02 UTC 2019

Meet Ohio Affiliate president, Richard L. Payne

In Recognition of Celebrating Black History Month

     Richard started his quest for knowledge and liberation within the
organization at the young age of 17. He has demonstrated that decades of
service have not only challenged him but taught him to be assertive,
independent and informed about "what it means to be blind". Richard's
sleeves are always pulled up, his hand is generously extended outward and
his mouth rings with understanding about how one can make it despite his or
her lack of sight. He has substantiated individual confidence and
transferred knowledge enhancing membership by spreading hope, kindness and
admiration to the blind.

     Most of us know the story of Richard Payne and how he became blind and
impaired. However, here is his story in his words! "When I was fifth teen, I
lost my vision, due to an explosion in my grandparent's home. Like any
teenager, I had a ten speed bike that had a radio that wasn't working that
sunny day. I grabbed some wire from the back of grandfather's truck thinking
that it was just wire. To everyone's surprise, it was dynamite. When the
explosion was over, I was totally-blind and my left hand was severely
injured. For about one year, a rehabilitation facility was my home. I had to
learn to walk and regain life. I do know quite well what it means to run
this race, because I am blessed to be alive. This is why most know me as
Positive Payne. I live life to its fullest, with no regrets".

    Richard has initiated several NFB Chapters in two different Cities in
Mississippi: which prepared him for a more prevailing position in Ohio. Did
you know that before he was aware of a fight for (Fair Wages), he fought the
CEO of a company to give equal pay to the blind, when they were working for
sub-minimum wages in Mississippi? Did you know that he has helped to
revitalize and visited many Chapters throughout Ohio, encouraging inspiring
and offering support to communities? Did you know he has served on the board
of directors for the Affiliate for over 12 years as a board member, Chairman
of the Membership Division, Vice President for 8 years and currently as the
Ohio Affiliate president? Did you know that he pulled himself up from the
ranks of pennies working in sheltered shops and now is productive in his
third career with one of the largest Banks in the World establishing
precedence and open-mindedness? He believes in the removal of "stand your
ground" so that others can stand on common ground: by assisting them with
succeeding to a higher ground! He sees no flaws in anyone only an
opportunity for growth within the National Federation of the Blind for all
who believes in the power and principles that has contributed to his
unresolved walk in life. He tells the story that "yes life is hard but thank
God success doesn't show favoritism. I believe in the full capacity of the
blind. There is value in everyone. This is why the National Federation of
the Blind helps to transform dreams into reality. I could not live my
everyday life or advocate for the blind without having faith in the grass
roots of this organization".

     Richard's appreciation for the philosophy of the National Federation of
the Blind derives from many. "I first was introduced to the organization by
my high school band director. But, Dr. Kenneth Jernigan's viewpoints from
his many speeches has been my guidance and rock that is abided into my
soul". Perhaps, this is why Richard always communicates in and outside of
the body about the vision, equality and optimism by way of technology,
education and empowerment. He places no limitations on himself. He does as
Richard does and it is for the betterment of those to whom he comes in
contact.

     Moreover, Richard is comfortable and secure because he believes in the
core values of the organization, that is based on his evidence of positive
outcomes, and the patient skill shown. He has fought for others, cried with
most and appealed for the indifferent. He has sat on panel discussions,
walked in picket lines, raised income to support the Affiliate, marched on
Washington representing the district and has done a host of other advocacy
and works toward positive change in Ohio. Certainly, this is displayed by
his leadership throughout the State and the Miami Valley Chapter. Even
beyond that, he has passed the baton to others so that they too can make a
difference within their Cities and communities.

     Finally, Richard's dream was expounded on at the 2012 State of Ohio
Convention. He stated that he was not a speaker. However, he had much to
say. One particular piece of information was disclosed; "I thought I would
never be independent until I attended the Arkansas school for the blind and
was introduced to the National Federation of the Blind". For all who heard
his speech, I am sure that perhaps at one time you had the same thought. So,
for those who have seen him thrive in the organization, for those who have
seen him work hard for the mission and even for those who have seen him
speak about not so popular issues; we know that he lives and breathes the
National Federation of the Blind. His insight about life and the pursuit of
autonomy is compelling to say the least. Richard says that "wisdom does not
always come from articulation, but often from edification. It is my works,
compassion and diligence why I do reverence in the philosophy and mission of
the National Federation of the Blind. My guidance and belief are in my
fellow man that we can all be treated with dignity, fairness and liberty for
all". Richard goes on to say, "I discriminate against no one, this is why
the National Federation of the Blind is in a better place when we serve all
people equally".

     Also, Richard has shown us that blindness need not stop us from
realizing our dreams and greatest potential. If it can be done, he can! And
if you do not know Richard l Payne, you are missing a treat, and if you do,
you have a friend for life!