[NFBOH-Cleveland] National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter Honors Sharon Maneki, President Emeritus of Maryland, In Recognition of Women History Month

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 01:42:25 UTC 2019

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter

Honors Sharon Maneki, President Emeritus of Maryland

In Recognition of Celebrating Women History Month

Sharon Maneki served as president of the Maryland affiliate of the National
Federation of the Blind for 24 years. She has since stepped down and
currently resides 20 mile south of Baltimore with her loving husband Al. She
has held several positions. However, she states that her greatest
achievement has been to get legislative programs passed through the
organization.

Sharon was introduced to the National Federation of the Blind in the violet
state of New Jersey. "Back then I was quite reluctant to attend a chapter
meeting after rumors about Camp Happiness. Members of the Affiliate were not
following the philosophy and mission of the National Federation of the
Blind. So, I just was not interested in the organization at that time. I did
not think we had anything in common" she said. Then discrimination reared
its ugly head. You see, Sharon's goal was to become a    high school
teacher. "It was the national Federation of the Blind who had the knowledge
on the books that I could do what I aspire to do. There were strength in
numbers, and I quickly learned that I did not break the mole! Others were
before me and there will be others after me when I am gone."

Then, when the Affiliate was reorganized in 1976, Sharon became an active
member and strong leader in the movement. She credits the Federation for
directing her path by helping her to refocus, not only on the organizational
structure of the Federation, but how to live the life she wanted. As a
result, Sharon taught Social Study's for over 15 years and then graciously
changed careers to the Federal sector. She was hired by the National
Security Agency, researching and writing   data. "I read codes and worked on
secret stuff. If I tell you, I would have to kill you." She laughed.
Although she has retired from the government, Sharon continues to uphold the
oath of office by respecting its mission and purpose that is parallel to the
mission and purpose of the National Federation of the Blind. Even though,
there is no mandatory oath of office to take in the Federation, Sharon's
integrity and leadership is unquestionable and evident in her body of work.

Now that the President Emeritus of Maryland has some down time, she is
spending her days traveling, reading books, attending movies, swimming and
walking. But most of all, Sharon says that she enjoys meeting new members
and exchanging information that will enhance and propel the blind into an
unimaginable higher atmosphere. "Experiential learning in my opinion, is
crucial when you are a leader in this powerful, and yet influential
organization. Sharing knowledge and sharing memories is essential to my
growth and others I serve. Who can laugh with you about getting loss but
other blind people?"