[NFBOH-Cleveland] Second Reminder: Cleveland Announcements

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 16:09:33 UTC 2019

Good Evening Cleveland,

I trust all is well.

As far as our meeting date of October 18, 2019, we will not meet at the
Cleveland Sight Center: because we were participating in Lake County for
"Meet The Blind Month and White Cane Safety Day".

Well, I did a dry run to seek out the location from the Giant Eagle to the
Library. Para Transit does not go to the Library location. However, it does
drop off at the Giant Eagle on Shore Center Road. But, the distance from
Giant Eagle to the Library is not feasible for Cleveland members to walk.
So, we will meet in the community for our October meeting at the Night Town
Restaurant.

This outing will be a leisure opportunity for Cleveland to relax and
fellowship. However, we will have a condensed meeting prior to ordering
food. The time, location and related information is below. Also, information
will be on the voice box.

Note: Members, this meeting is not open to outside members, due to the
limitations of meeting space at the restaurant. Please do not invite others:
as they will have to be seated in the main dining area; which is not in the
area we will occupy. Please schedule your ride to arrive at 4:45 and depart
no later than 6:30 PM. I will call to get a count on Wednesday evening.
However, we have the room until 9:00 PM for your enjoyment.

Ohio State School for the Blind (OSSB):

The Ohio Community Service Committee has launched a STATE WIDE community
project. Cheryl Fields who is the Chairperson would like for all Cleveland
members to help in the efforts of providing, hats or, gloves or, mittens or,
scarves or some or all to the cause. They will be collected at the
Convention and donated to the OSSB for children K through Senior. Their
colors are red and blue. Please bring a donation to Night Town if you are
not attending the Convention. The Ohio Community Service Committee thanks
you!

Popcorn Sale:

I have received several calls about the Popcorn order. You must remember
that this is a funraiser and companies have process regulations. This isn't
a routine store. However, I expect the order to arrive very soon.

Adjusting To Blindness Seminar:

The Seminar for newly blind individuals last week was a success. All of the
Peer Mentors were received well by the participants. President, Richard
Payne and Affiliate Board Member, Eric Duffy and his wife, Shelly came down
to assist us with the endeavor. We will fill you in with more details on
next Friday.

The 2019 State of Ohio Convention:

The bus is filling up headed to the 73rd Annual State Convention in Columbus
Ohio. Today is the last day to reserve your room. So call, 614-885-3334 and
get it done. If you are looking for a roommate, please give me a call.
Everyone should preregister online. This will ensure a lesser cost for the
banquet and registration; which will be paid onsite at the Convention. If
you have not read the Convention Agenda, please review the exciting
activities. Although, you may not be going! There is good news. The 73rd
Annual State Convention will be live streamed. You will have an opportunity
to participate from a far!

Good Thoughts:

Several of our members are continuing to heal and resume their lives. Please
keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Jim Weiss, Davette Payne, Sarah
Bishop and Charlette Davidson.

Disability Awareness Day:

On Tuesday, Cleveland will have a table at the Disability Awareness Day
hosted by the City of Cleveland's Department of Aging and Disability and the
Cleveland Sight Center. If you are available to assist with the table for an
hour, please let me know. This event is also part of our efforts to provide
awareness for "Meet The Blind Month." If you have not volunteer this year,
consider stepping up and contributing. Note! If I have not spoken to you and
provided registration, then you will be unable to attend. The City of
Cleveland contacted me and explained that there is no more availability for
participants.

Community Engagement:

Sandy and Gloria are committed to providing information and support for
seniors who are newly blind. They have done sessions in the nearby
communities. They will return to Strongsville and work with this population
on Wednesday. Please thank Sandy and Gloria for all of the work they are
doing in spreading the mission about the NFB in our local suburbs and
helping seniors to "live the lives they want".

On October 18, 2019, Cheryl, Gloria and I will go into Lake County and
facilitate an Informational Seminar. We will partner with the Cleveland
Sight Center and Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities to provide the
County with community resources, assistive technology and accessibility of
products. This event is open to Lake County and our purpose is to educate
newly blind persons about the NFB, our programs and  services. You are
welcome to attend if you have transportation to the Willowick Public
Library. The address is 263 E. 305, Willowick, Ohio 44095. We will start at
11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

Larry, Danielle and I participated with Cuyahoga Community College's
celebration on Hispanic Heritage Awareness Month. The Department of Culinary
Institute prepared and served tasty dishes, such as beans and rice, fried
bananas in a plum sauce, stuffed chicken, chips and salsa and more. The
instructors and students were very accommodating and welcoming. We also
enjoyed the music. We will return next year.

Congratulations!

Congratulations to Ronnie and Ali! They have exciting news! The two of them
have accepted employment. So, send them well wishes in their career
endeavors.

Also, congratulations to Owen who has become a "world wind" with all of the
up coming opportunities that he has and will to come. Owen's World of Art's
season cards are available at the Cleveland Sight Center. He will have his
art at the Convention as well.

New Member:

Cleveland has a new member and his name is David Green. Mr. Green joined the
Cleveland Chapter last Saturday at the Seminar. When you meet him, please
welcome him to our family.

Nominations:

November's Chapter meeting will include elections. If you would like to run
for a position, please contact Evelyn MorsonEddie at 216-851-7226.

Night Town Restaurant

Reservations are in the name of: National Federation of the Blind of
Cleveland

Address: 12387 Cedar Road

Date: October 18, 2019

Time: 4:30 to 9:00 PM

Meeting will start at 5:00 PM.

If you would like to stay longer than 9:00, it is on your own accord.

Note: Members, this meeting is not open to outside members, due to the
limitations of meeting space at the restaurant. Please do not invite others:
as they will have to be seated in the main dining area; which is not in the
area we will occupy.

If you have any questions, please contact me by the information below!

Suzanne Hartfield-Turner, President

NFBOH-Cleveland Chapter

C: (216) 990-6199

P: (641) 715-3900