[NFBOH-Cleveland] Cleveland Chapter Updates

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 16:37:08 UTC 2019

Cleveland Members,

I hope that your September is going well so far.

First, I want to send prayers and condolences to Cheryl and Danielle Fields
on the passing of beloved, Lewis Fields. A proclamation was provided to the
family in celebration of his life.

Also, members who are in healing and in bereavement, please send them your
prayers as well.

Happy Grandparent Day to all of you. A grandparent's love is like no other.
I sent out an email and text to most of you inviting to join me and my
grandchildren for brunch. As, I understand that this is short notice and
many of us are attending religious activities, please consider modifying
your schedule. I will be at the Big Egg, located at 5107, Detroit Avenue
from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Even if you are not a grandparent or have
grandchildren come out and fellowship.

Thank you to our members who volunteered at the Greater Food Bank this past
Wednesday. We are rounding out this year with giving back to the community
by "serving for a purpose". Everyone who donated time, energy and devotion
this year of 2019 packing food, thank you!

Cleveland will hold our next Chapter meeting on September 20, 2019 from 3:00
PM to 5:00 PM, at the Cleveland Sight Center. The address is 1909 E. 101st
Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44106. If you are unable to physically attend,
please call (216) 658-4532. We will have a speaker from the Greater
Cleveland Rape Crisis Center. This presentation  will provide information on
awareness, preventions and community involvement.

Also, pop corn orders are due. Please bring your orders and money at the
September 20, 2019 meeting. Please do not forget to write your name and
telephone number at the top of that form and everyone else's orders, name
and telephone number below. Select products by item number. Check and
recheck your customer's money so that you can ensure that all orders are
correct. If you do not have a form, send me your orders by email. Finally,
if you have orders out of Cleveland or the State, the products will be
mailed directly to them. These orders must be $30 or more.

September is Hispanic Heritage Awareness Month. Therefore, Cleveland will be
celebrating and highlighting the contribution of our Hispanic leaders in the
National Federation of the Blind. So, look out for their inspiring
contributions by Cleveland's email, facebook, listserve or voice box. Also,
Cleveland has a Hispanic member and it is wonderful to know that our Chapter
is so diverse. When you are at the meeting on September 20th, recognize our
member.

On September 19, 2019 at 9: 30 to 11:00, RTA will hold their monthly ADA
Committee Meeting. I am urging all members to join me their. We have been
quite fortunate to have media coverage on important matters, such as safety,
no show of vehicles and more. We must keep up our presence and show Para
Transit and RTA that we not only complain, but want to sit at the table for
change. So, things are still bad. But, Cleveland has an opportunity to make
a difference for us and others in the near future. I am counting on all of
you to be there.

October is a month of celebration. It is White Cane Awareness Month, Meet
The Blind Month, Disability Employment Awareness and Global Diversity Month.
Therefore, Cleveland has two activities that will provide information and
awareness to the public. First, on October 5, 2019, Cleveland will hold, "An
Introductory Seminar for the Newly Blind" providing individuals an
opportunity to learn about the NFB, hand-held products, Braille, Technology
and O&M. The information is at the end of this email and attached. If you
know of someone who would benefit from this opportunity, please have them to
complete the form and email it to Ali at,
<mailto:ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com> ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com or mail  it
to Gloria at our PO Box, 141077, Cleveland, Ohio 44114. Again, the
information is at the end of this email. The second community endeavor will
be held in Lake County. We will hold an Informational Seminar at the
Willowick Library. I will have more information at the meeting.

Please submit your name to Nomination Committee Chair, Evelyn Morson-Eaddie
if you would like to run for an office in the Chapter. All Executive seats
are open, including two Board seats. You can call or email her at,
216-851-7226 or, Stuff12993 at aol.com

Finally, registration is open for the 73rd Annual State of Ohio Convention.
Please pre-register before October 20, 2019. Also, reserve your room by
October 11, 2019 at 614-885-3334.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me or Ali,
Secretary.

See you Sunday or on the 20th.

Read Below or by the attachment!

///

The Cleveland Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

Offers

An Introductory Seminar for the Newly Blind

October 5, 2019

9:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Brook Park  Library

6155 Engle Road, Brook Park, Ohio 44142

Introduction:

This is an introductory Seminar for newly blind individuals that will
highlight best practices by Peer Mentors  from the National Federation of
the Blind of Cleveland. The philosophy of the NFB will be presented,  along
with the "value of alternative techniques of blindness, and the solid belief
that it is okay to be blind."

During The seminar, four small sessions will be offered by Peer Mentors for
newly blind individuals and their supportive companion to learn about
alternative ways to continue everyday living. These small settings will
offer guidance, advice, assistance and demonstrations from a real-world
point of view. Hence, sharing knowledge and experiences in order to help the
participants succeed  is our main objective. Having a wonderful trusted ally
to go to whenever blind people are feeling unsure or in need is why the NFB
is here. We want to meet the needs of each participant in moving forward at
their own pace and under their own control.

General Session for all attendees:

Part I

The goal of this Session is to introduce the National Federation of the
Blind (NFB).

Part II

The goal of this session is to introduce Basic Techniques and products for
everyday use.

Part III

The goal of this session is to Identify, explore and recommend community
resources to enhance activities, to become involved in one's residential
area and to increase peer interaction and support.

Breakout Sessions

Each Session will have 4 attendees present with a total of 16 participants
in the Seminar. These participants will rotate through four sessions; having
an opportunity to interact with Peer Mentors and explore "hands on"
products, technology and practical methods.

SESSION: A

Title: Staying Connected, accessing print and electronic media.

Overview

This session provides an overview of aids, appliances, and services that
enable blind individuals to fully access mainstream means of communication
media, ranging from use of standard telephones and note taking to reading
books, periodicals, text messages, email, and web pages.

Session B:

Title: Literacy for the Blind, Reading and Writing Braille

Overview:

This session will provide a preliminary summary on what is meant by Braille,
who invented Braille and when, what are the benefits of learning Braille,
where to learn Braille, what are the different grades of Braille, what are
the different codes of Braille in the USA, what are the tools for writing
Braille and what are the available resources for Braille.

Session C:

Title: Assistive Technology

Overview:

This session  provides an overview of Assistive Technology software and
hardware products that aide the blind in equal access to email, websites and
computer applications.

Session D:

Title: Orientation and Mobility (O&M)

Overview:

This Session provides an overview of basic orientation and mobility concepts
for newly blind participants and their supportive companions.

To become a participant, please complete  the following questions. The
completed questions may be submitted by either email or print copy to:

Email:    <mailto:ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com> ali.benmerzouga at hotmail.com

Print Copy:    NFB of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter,

PO Box 141077

Cleveland, Ohio 44114.

Every submission will be given high consideration. Participants and their
supportive companion will be notified no later than September 13, 2019. For
questions, please contact Suzanne Turner at (216) 990-6199 or  email by
<mailto:SMTurner.234 at gmail.com> SMTurner.234 at gmail.com.

Please complete the questions below.

Participant Name:

Participant Telephone Number:

Participant Email:

Participant's preferred format for seminar materials (Regular print, large
print, Braille, or electronic format)

Supportive Companion Name:

Supportive Companion Telephone Number:

Supportive Companion Email:

How did you learn about the Conference?

Are you a Member of the NFB?

Do you reside in Cleveland or a suburb?

Do you have a special diet, if lunch is provided?

Do you have a secondary disability, besides blindness?

Please provide  additional information if necessary.

Suzanne Hartfield-Turner, President

NFBOH-Cleveland Chapter

C: (216) 990-6199

P: (641) 715-3900