[NFBOH-Cleveland] Congratulations Cleveland Chapter! You are the recipients of "WE DO IT BIGGER & BETTER!" - In celebration of National Volunteer Week

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 23:41:41 UTC 2020

Jeanetta Price, President NFB Community Service

In celebration of National Volunteer Week, April 19-25, 2020, organizations
across the country honor volunteers for the irreplaceable impact of their
service to others.

Cleveland Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio will kick
off The "WE DO IT BIGGER & BETTER!" NFB Community Service Challenge with one
submission that entailed three community service endeavors. Talk about over
achievers! You will be inspired by their quality of service to others, and
motivated to get involved where you are. Without further ado, I share with
you, Cleveland Chapter's community service endeavors.

"We have many more, but we are most proud of those below, Cleveland
President, Suzanne Turner stated"!

(I) The National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland, Greater Cuyahoga
County and the Ohio Affiliate, co-hosted a forum with the Cleveland City
Planning Commission in Cleveland Ohio on last Thursday. The topic was on
Shared Riding safety regulations. We were inspired about the productive
exchange of ideas, and look forward to continuing to work together to
increase accessibility through improved policies and practices on E-Bikes
and Dockless Electric Scooters. The insight that was shared by each panelist
demonstrated commitment and dedication to the meaningful conversation from
vendors, the blind community and City Hall from the evening. This exchange
of ideas and contributions was inspiring and quite informative. The National
Federation of the Blind of Cleveland and Greater Cuyahoga County are looking
forward in continuing our strong partnership with the City of Cleveland. We
also extend our gratitude for their willingness to include the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio in any new pedestrian guidelines that might
need input on accessibility for persons with disabilities.

(2) The Cleveland Chapter has partnered with St. Adalbert Elementary School
for five years now, following their classroom assignments that include
learning about the blind. In March, "Read Across America" is celebrated by
reading Dr. Seuss books. So, Cleveland join in with the children by reading
twin books "Print on one-side and Braille on the other side". We, the blind
will read the Braille, while a sighted child stands beside us reading print.
This is an awesome experience for them and us taking turns reading the same
text together. Additionally, the children have learned to identify Braille
on doorways, elevators and other identifiable objects for the blind. They
also are excited when Cleveland visits providing them with once again
Braille cards. They can not seem to get enough of those. Cleveland has also
demonstrated white cane travel and provided awareness and education about
guide dog handling. This is a highlight for the students. It never fails,
their eyes gleam and voices were raised with seeing Mateo, who is a black
lab in the Cleveland Chapter. He is definitely a hit! Our hope is that one
or more of the children will with any luck become inspired to teach, mentor,
and or advocate for the Blind. Working with St. Adalbert Elementary school
is a passion, but a vital factor in what we are attempting to accomplish
through diminishing low expectations of the blind, by teaching the youth of
today that we are just people who can not see. /// (3) The National
Federation of the Blind of Cleveland offered a seminar called, "adjusting to
Blindness, An Introductory Seminar", that was held on October 5, 2019 at a
local Cleveland Public Library. This was an introductory Seminar for newly
blind individuals that highlighted best practices by Peer Mentors from the
National Federation of the Blind of Cleveland. The philosophy of the NFB was
presented, along with the "value of alternative techniques of blindness, and
the solid belief that it is okay to be blind." During the seminar, four
small sessions were offered by Peer Mentors for newly blind individuals and
their supportive companions to learn about alternative ways to continue
everyday living. These small settings offered the participants guidance,
advice, assistance and demonstrations from a real-world point of view.
Hence, sharing knowledge and experiences in order to help the participants
succeed was our main objective. Having a wonderful trusted ally to go to
whenever blind people are feeling unsure or in need is why the NFB is here.
We wanted to meet the needs of each participant in moving forward at their
own pace and under their own control. We started with a (General Session)
for all attendees Part I: The goal of this Session was to introduce the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB). Part II: The goal of this Session
was to introduce Basic Techniques and products for everyday use. Part III:
The goal of this session was to Identify, explore and recommend community
resources to enhance activities, to become involved in one's residential
area, and to increase peer interaction and support. Then, the (Breakout
Sessions) had 4 attendees present with a total of 16 participants in the
seminar. These participants rotated through four sessions; having an
opportunity to interact with Peer Mentors and explore "hands on" products,
technology, and practical methods. For instance, SESSION A: Title: Staying
Connected, accessing print and electronic media. This overview of aids,
appliances, and services that enable blind individuals to fully access
mainstream means of communication media, ranging from use of standard
telephones and note taking to reading books, periodicals, text messages,
email, and web pages were introduced. Also, Session B: Title: Literacy for
the Blind, Reading and Writing Braille. This Session provided a preliminary
summary on what is meant by Braille, who invented Braille, when Braille was
invented, and what are the benefits of learning Braille. Participants
discovered where to learn Braille, what the different grades of Braille
were, what the different codes of Braille were in the USA, what tools are
used for writing Braille and what resources are available for Braille
literacy. Finally, Session C: Title: Assistive Technology and Session D
Title: Orientation and Mobility (O&M) provided an overview of basic concepts
for the newly blind participants and their supportive companions. The
Seminar also included a member who has a License in Mental Counseling, that
facilitated a session on Coping with Vision Loss. This Peer Mentor provided
a comfortable forum for the participants to discuss their experiences of
vision loss. In addition, there was a Q/A opportunity as well that offered
information on social community services for individual and group support,
such as 211, personal insurance and other general services. The Adjustment
to Blindness seminar was researched, written, developed, and facilitated by
the Cleveland Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. We
are Peer Mentors offering information, demonstrations, and support for those
who have been affected by loss of vision or total blindness. We have
included supportive companions in the sessions to provide an open,
unobscured view on living with blindness. Both parties were provided the
same opportunity to discover every aspect of the seminar. In addition,
literature and supported researched documentation on Braille literacy,
orientation and mobility, assistive technology and low vision aids will
continually be readily available to all attendees, which will assist with
sourcing, advocacy and declaration. Although, all sessions will be conducted
by members of the NFB of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter, their professional
expertise speaks for itself. These skilled individuals are employed or have
retired from, Social Work, Social Services, Licensed Mental Counseling,
Licensed Orientation and Mobility, Assistive Technology, Education, and
more. Consequently, this invaluable endeavor is a volunteer project and
donations for products, refreshments, transportation and other incidentals
are sponsored by the NFB or community means. No fundraising or solicitation
will be presented or received by the organization. Moreover, the sessions
are solely to provide literature, demonstrations, community resources, and
peer support for those who are seeking an answer and resolution. Thus, it is
a response to their plea that will enable them to become motivated, socially
engaged, self-determined and financially fruitful. We are conducting this
Seminar throughout the year and hope that it will make a positive impact for
those who are newly blind and not necessarily seeking employment. Hence,
Baby Boomers are crying out for help and the Cleveland Chapter is doing our
best to answer their call.

The Cleveland Chapter has felt rewarded and honored to provide the community
with innovative and educational opportunity that has positively impacted the
overall community. The passion, compassion and commitment that is shown by
our members have moved into the suburbs and beyond. Blindness is very
prevalent today among seniors and adults who are newly impacted and not
seeking employment. There are no services for them. So, we are stepping up
to the plate. Also, our children must learn about people differences so they
can improve the world of disabilities by becoming technologist, instructors,
physicians and just good and respectful people. Finally, our stakeholders
and government officials must include the blind in their policy and
regulations for the community; so that we are not injured or forgotten in
their decision making process.

Creating events and trainings that have provided awareness, inclusion and
innovative ideas to help blind people in and beyond Ohio. On the other hand,
just getting people to buy-in to believing that the blind has the expertise
to make a difference. After working with the community, you gain their
respect and admiration. But, it is hard work and sometimes disheartening to
continually have to prove that you are capable, intelligent and resourceful.

Thank you so much for leading by example NFB Cleveland Chapter, your service
speaks volumes about your leadership. We would love to hear about your
community service too. Tap on the link below, and join the movement of
changing our communities one service at a time. Please like, share, and
comment.

At your service,

Jeanetta Price, President NFB Community Service Division

In the picture from left to right is, The back row are Michael Beck (Spin);
Freddy Collier, Jr. (City Planning Commission); Royce Kranz (Lime); Calley
Mersmann (City Planning Commission); Kingston Smartt-Nalli (VeoRide);
Richard Payne (NFB); Abhijit Kulkarni (Wheels); and Eric Duffy (NFB). The
front row, Barbara Pierce (NFB) and Suzanne Turner (NFB)