[NFBOH-Cleveland] Convention Related Topics and Pac Plan attachments

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 20:28:11 UTC 2020

Convention Related topics

You may have or not seen the following.

Veterans' Celebration of Freedom:

Vernon Humphrey, president of the National Association of Blind Veterans, is
reaching out to all veterans that will be taking part in the national
convention so they can participate in the annual Celebration of Freedom.

Please contact him at mr_president at nabv.org <mailto:mr_president at nabv.org>
or 706-329-7960 if you are, or you know of, a military veteran that will be
participating in convention this year.

Good day to all, From Ohio, President, Richard Payne

I sent an update with a tremendous amount of information included in it and
it was brought to my attention  that the part that talks about donation to
each of the national funds refers to affiliates but normally around the time
for the national convention you mail me checks or give them to me at the
convention. I have suggested that you just send donations to the national
office.

We also send door prize money from the affiliate and chapters division and
individual  members should forward donations should be sent directly to
Sherry Ruth to help offset the check that we will send.

Message from Sharon Maneki, NFB Resolutions Committee Chair:

Do you think we should change a government policy, take a stand concerning
an agency for the blind, or create new regulations? If you do, consider
writing a resolution. At the 2020 National Convention, the Resolutions
Committee meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 15. The committee will
debate and discuss resolutions on a wide variety of subjects. If passed by
the convention, these resolutions will become the policy statements of the
organization. To ensure that your resolution will be considered by the
committee, please send it to Sharon Maneki (nfbmd at earthlink.net
<mailto:nfbmd at earthlink.net> ) or to me by June 30, two weeks before the
committee meeting. Since things are always busy leading up to the
convention, sending them earlier will be appreciated. If you email a
resolution to Sharon and do not receive an acknowledgement email in two or
three days, please send it again.

If you miss the deadline, you must get three members of the committee to
sponsor your resolution and then get it to Sharon before the meeting begins.

Virtual State Convention Assistance:

The NFB of Missouri recently held a successful convention virtually.
Afterwards they held a Zoom call to review what helped them be successful.
The call was recorded and can be accessed at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu1m78xvifdwy7q/LearningFromNFBMOVirtualConvention
2020-0611.mp3?dl=0 .

Dick Davis, Chair for the National Employment Committee:

On Tuesday, July 14 at 10 AM - Noon: Employment Committee Meeting. We are
having a straight committee meeting this year without the employer/jobseeker
networking.

>From 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM: NFB National Career Fair. Each employer will have
their own Zoom room.  Deadline for employers and jobseekers to sign up is
Sunday July 5.  Lots of employers and jobseekers are registering.  We have
50 employer slots.

At 5:00 PM  to 9:00  PM: Job Seeker Seminar.

 And on Wednesday, July 15 at 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM: Upward Mobility Seminar.

7:00 PM to 9:00 PM: Legal Strategies for Employment seminars. These are run
by the NFB legal team and John Pare, and will focus on giving jobseekers
self-advocacy and legal skills.

Jobseeker registration: nfb.org/form/career-fair-jobseeker-registration
<https://www.nfb.org/form/career-fair-jobseeker-registration>
 Employer Information: This year's Career Fair will be on Zoom.

Each registered employer and jobseeker will receive technical information on
how to use our Zoom system. Everyone who wants to participate will need to
download free Zoom software onto their computer or phone in order to access
the system we are using for the Career Fair and the Convention.

>From Joy Stigile

The Diabetes Action Network will be having their annual meeting this year
during National Convention on July 16, 2020.  We have a full slate of
speakers lined up!  They are Dr Paula Springer an Internist who specialty is
Diabetes , Joyce Ellis a Certified Diabetes Care and Educator and an
insurance pro who can give suggestions on how to receive the best from your
insurance carrier.  There will be time for questions after each one is
finished speaking.

Now, for the order of business is the collection of dues.  You will have
several ways to pay your $10 dues which give you voting rights, making
motions, and running for office.

You can write a check made payable to the Diabetes Action Network in the
amount of $10 and mail it to me:

Joy Stigile

19831 Friar Street

Woodland Hills, CA 91367

I will need to receive it by July 9, 2020, Friday. There are three other
ways to pay if you prefer:

Applepay using the phone number 818.419.5331 or

Paypal using the email address:  rstigile at gmail.com
<mailto:rstigile at gmail.com>

Be sure to select "friends and family" or

Venmo @robertstigile

If you are having any issues with the on line please contact Robert at
818.419.5331

If you are paying for more than one person please include their first and
last name.

Training on the Rotor for Apple iOS Devices

Saturday, June 27, 2020

3:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. EDT.

Marsha Drenth, Social Worker/Access Technology Trainer will provide in dept
instruction on how to successfully utilize the rotor on your Apple devices.
Please join this valuable session. Q/A will be provided.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/4081850851

Meeting ID: 408 185 0851

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,4081850851# US (New York)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) 4081850851

Give $20 Campaign

Each year, thousands of Federation members purchase raffle tickets or make
donations during national convention to various funds that support blind
people.

In 2020, your generosity is still needed to fund our great programs. When
you give $20 or more between May 15 and July 18 noon ET, you will be entered
into the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Drawing to win the following:

*           Round-trip transportation for two for the 2021 NFB National

Convention

*           Hotel at the convention

*           Registration and banquet tickets for two

*           $1,000 in walking-around cash

This drawing will be to support the following funds:

*           Kenneth Jernigan Fund: The proceeds from this fund are used to
bring

a number of attendees to their first national convention. It is named for
Dr. Jernigan who planned our conventions for more than forty years and who
did so much to make them what they are today.

*           SUN Fund: These funds are being set aside in the event that they
are

needed to support the Federation during difficult times.

*           White Cane Fund: These dollars go directly to the general
treasury

of the Federation.

*           tenBroek Fund: These dollars go to the tenBroek Memorial Fund
which

owns the property at 200 East Wells at Jernigan Place in Baltimore for the
benefit of blind people.

More Chances to Win!

Each $20 donation is a chance to win. Your name will be placed in the
drawing for each increment of $20 you give. Give $100 and you will be
entered into the drawing five times.

How to Contribute and Qualify

You must specify a fund in order to be entered into the drawing. You can do
this either in the "Contribution Note" field in our online donation form or
in the memo if giving by check. Choose one of the following funds: Kenneth
Jernigan Fund, SUN Fund, White Cane Fund, or the tenBroek Fund. Your
donation will be counted for the drawing regardless of which fund you
designate.

*           Donate online now <https://www.nfb.org/donate> .

*           Donate via phone by calling our donation line at 410-659-9314
and

selecting option 4 to donate.

>From Julie McGinnity

chapter presidents meetings:

Excuse the email if you have already signed up for our chapter presidents
meetings taking place next Thursday and Sunday.  For your convenience, I am
re-sending the link here.  If you had trouble with the form and sent me your
information, and I have not yet responded to you, please correct my error by
sending me an email so I can sign you up.  Remember: name, phone, email,
chapter, affiliate, and date choice will unlock the secret of the chapter
presidents call info!

 Here's the link:

https://forms.gle/WeBXYaRs4bULHyaa8

Thank you all for your patience, cooperation, dedication, and federation
love!

Good Afternoon Ohio,

The National Federation of the Blind 2020 National Convention is approaching
fast and the Ohio Affiliate President, Richard Payne want to ensure that you
are set, informed and prepared for the largest gathering of blind people in
the nation.

Therefore, you are invited to attend a pre-convention meeting on July 1,
2020 that will provide you with valuable information. The call will begin at
6:30 P.M. EDT on the Zoom platform.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/4081850851

Meeting ID: 408 185 0851

One tap mobile

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) 4081850851

Rookie Round Up

All convention attendees are cordially invited to attend a welcoming Zoom
meeting Tuesday, July 7 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. EDT. President Riccobono and
Pam Allen will be on hand to preview convention activities and get everyone
ready for the big event. Stay tuned for more details.

The PAC PLAN

Per your request, attached is two documents for the Pre-Authorized
Contribution Plan. One form is in word and the other is a fillable Pdf.

Please complete the form with all relevant information and email it to the
accounting office. As it was explained to me, insert your name in the
signature portion and date it. The email address is on the form where you
should send it to.