[NFBOH-Cleveland] Important message from Domestic Violence and Child Advocacy Center

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:15:37 UTC 2020

Dear DVCAC Friends,

I’m sure you’ve been inundated with communications from numerous
organizations in response to the COVID-19 virus. Because you have been
a friend and care about domestic violence and child abuse, I’d like to
share how victims may be affected and what we, as a community, can do.

While the majority of us take refuge in the safety of our homes,
remember that home is not a safe place for everyone. People
experiencing domestic violence and child abuse are now isolated at
home with their abuser. This is a dangerous time for them. We have
seen a significant increase in demand for our services and we
anticipate that will continue.

We are maintaining critical services while balancing the health and
safety of our clients, staff, and community. Our Helpline is available
for safety planning and crisis intervention. Please call or text
216-391-4357 (HELP) or live chat at dvcac.org if you need help or you
are concerned about someone in your life and aren’t sure how to reach
out in a way that is safe for them. During this time of crisis, our
Emergency Domestic Violence Shelter is operating, Advocates continue
to work with victims seeking safety through courts, therapists are
supporting clients, and Canopy Child Advocacy Center continues to
serve children being abused. Read more here.

There are a number of thing you can do to help our community during
this unsettling time. Many of DVCAC’s clients already live in poverty;
with businesses closing and children not getting fed at school, these
clients face even greater adversity. Directly support victims setting
up households as they move toward self-sufficiency by clicking here to
donate items from an Amazon wish list.

DVCAC’s annual Break the Cycle Luncheon was supposed to be held on
Friday, March 13th. Like so many others, the event was cancelled. We
don’t know yet when – or if – the event will be rescheduled but we’ll
share more as we have more information. Although the event was
cancelled, our need for funding has not changed. This, combined with a
steep decrease in government funding, means we are facing a budget
shortfall. You can help ensure delivery of crucial victim services by
clicking here to make a donation.

For the last few months, DVCAC was leading up to an exciting
announcement of a new name and logo. In light of the pandemic, we have
put this announcement on hold for a bit. Our focus right now is to be
there for victims and make sure they know where to find us. You will
hear more in the coming weeks about DVCAC’s new name and logo.

Our mission is to be there for people experiencing domestic violence
and child abuse. On behalf of our staff and board, and, especially,
local victims in need, thank you for your continued and loyal support.
I wish you safety and health.

Best,

Melissa K. Graves
Chief Executive Officer

--
Be kind, remain safe and healthy!

Cheryl E. Fields

216-566-4317

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human
life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will
never sit.
--D. Elton Trueblood