[NFBOH-Cleveland] Cleveland Updates

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 23:56:51 UTC 2022

Cleveland Members,

I am so excited about Fall weather. This is my favorite time of the year!
No! It is not Christmas, It is the falling leaves, the crisp air and the
cute sweaters that I love!

/Thank you to those members who were present at the Ohio Board Meeting last
Saturday. The fellowship was so thrilling. It was so nice to see everyone.

Also, thank you to those who took part in the Access Walk with
ADA-Cleveland. It was a great turnout as well.

/Below is the letter that I sent to Officer Raheem and Thomas.

/It is time for our annual Chapter meeting. We will meet on Zoom on this
Friday, September 22, 2022 at 5:00 PM. I am asking all members to be
present; as I have important National information to share.

/On tomorrow, Cleveland is meeting with Congresswoman Brown's
Administration, if you are wanting to sit in the link is the same link and
call in information as the Chapter meeting on Friday. Please do not come
into the zoom room late and disruptive. You will come in muted. We only have
twenty minutes with the representative. But, you will learn about our
legislative agenda at the time.

/Also, it is time for Cleveland elections. All officers positions are open,
President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. We have two open Board
seats, because we allowed a mis-term to vote on board members. So, if you
are wanting to run for a position, please reach out to William Turner, who
is handling the elections this year. We will hold elections at the October
meeting. Contact William at 330-328-9860.

/Just a note for all new members, if you are interested in the Adjusting To
Blindness Seminar, please reach out to me and learn more. We will briefly
discuss this at the meeting.

/Please sign-up for the Be here for the rockingest weekend of the year!
Where you ask? In the city of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, the world
renowned Cleveland Art Museum and the home of the Cuyahoga and Cleveland
chapters of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. November 4-6 in
independence Ohio where we will celebrate the 76 annual state of Ohio
convention, Millennium: Honoring The Past, Treasuring The Present, Shaping
The Future.    The location is the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel, 6200 Quarry
Ln., independence Ohio 44131. You can make reservations now by calling
216-447-1300. The room rates are only $104, which includes breakfast.

Preregistration is up and running. Pre-registering for the Ohio convention
by October 28, 2022 on the website. WWW.NFBOhio.ORG <http://WWW.NFBOhio.ORG>
. prizes will be drawn during Convention festivities, general sessions, and
the banquet. Registration is required, and you must be present to win.

Cleveland is responsible for hospitality at the Convention. We will discuss
this as well during the meeting. Also, at the convention will be an action.
Cleveland will form a basket. We are known for our auction items.

Rooky Roundup: All first-time convention attendees are cordially invited to
attend a reception at the convention. Ohio Membership Committee Chair, Dr.
Carolyn Peters and other Federation leaders will be on hand to welcome you
to the convention and preview the week's activities. Veteran conventioneers
should urge all first-timers to attend this special event.

Resolutions: All resolutions must be submitted to the Resolutions Committee
Chair, Todd Elzey, no later than October 23rd. Resolutions will be
considered at the general session on Sunday, November 6, 2022. For
questions, email Todd Elzey at toddelzey at gmail.com.

, Moreover, this year's Ohio Convention will hold various special
attractions, such as on Friday night at 9pm we wish to feature you and your
talent at the "You Got Talent Event". Perhaps you can sing, perhaps you can
dance, perhaps you have a talent you would like to share. Please contact
Wilbert Turner and he will make sure you have an opportunity to be
showcased! It is important that you sign up as soon as possible, so we can
organize our stars. We can not wait to hear from you! Oh yes,, there will be
three prizes awarded. Wilbert also is looking for 3 talent judges. Each
Judge will be allowed to give 1-3  points to a performer. And, in case of a
tie, the audience will break the tie. Contact Wilbert Turner, at
<mailto:wo.turner5 at sbcglobal.net> wo.turner5 at sbcglobal.net or (216)
212-4959 by October 30th.

And, Ohio has an amazing Ohio affiliate drawing that will be unlike any
other fundraiser ever held in Ohio! "YOU + STRAWBERRY PIE = ERIC DUFFY"?
That's right! The secretary of our affiliate has ever so graciously agreed
to show his love and commitment to the National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio by handsomely wearing one of his favorite pies! Start exercising those
throwing arms, and get ready to buy your tickets at the 76th Annual State
Convention! Tickets are $5 each, or three tickets for $10.

Subsequently, of the many highlights for our upcoming 76th Annual State
Convention is the red carpet event! Participants will have an opportunity to
strut their stuff in dapper suits and evening gowns if desired. This attire
is not mandatory only a preference. Maggie Stringer will interview
participants prior before stepping into the Ball Room. Photos will be taken
and can be captured on the Ohio website. This opportunity also is a
preference and again not mandatory. Did I mention that you will be serenaded
by Beautiful soloist, Denise Hudson  and The Music Settlement who will fill
the atmosphere with memorable and harmonious classics.

/The Cuyahoga Chapter has a fundraiser. Let's support them.

Greetings,

The Cuyahoga County chapter is having a fund raiser at the Applebees in
Lyndhurst.  It will be on October 12 from 4:00pm to closing;  Attached is
the flyer you would present to the server.  The chapter will receive 15% of
your bill excluding alcohol.  I wish it would be valid for any Applebees,
but it is just good for the one in Lyndhurst on Mayfield rd.  If you have
any questions please ask me.

Thank  you Jerry Purcell

/Here is the letter to the Officers:

Dear Officers Rahim and Thomas,

On behalf of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Cleveland Chapter,
thank you for participating with us and providing valuable information on
the do's and don'ts when in an active shooting. We learned so much and will
take every remark, suggestion and advice into full consideration. We hope
that you were able to learn from the blind as our situations often can be
out of the scope of your training.

It was refreshing to hear how you were able to tap into our lives and make
such profound suggestions. We would like to extend an invitation to sit down
to discuss adding Braille to your identifiable markings. We also may have a
more feasible idea of an accessible app that would be a greater option
outside of the Braille marking or raised lettering concept.

In addition, we would like to present the three of you, Officer Rahim,
Officer Thomas and I think it was Officer Jackson a citation at our 76th
Ohio State Convention. It will be held at the Doubletree Hotel, located at
6200 Quarry Ln. in Independence. If you are able to attend on November 4th
or 5th, we would be honored to have your present. At the convention, we are
hoping to honor our veterans on Friday during a seromony at 2:00. Therefore,
when we hear from the color guard, we will let you know so we can include
you in that special endeavor.

Again, thank you for keeping the streets of Cleveland safe and providing the
blind with great content for our protection. Having the Department of
Cleveland Police is a win-win for us all.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Turner

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO)

Suzanne Turner, Ohio Affiliate Vice President

Cleveland Chapter, President

Join the meetings by the link below!

Where: Ohio Zoom Hall

 <https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851

Meeting ID: 408 185 0851

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,4081850851# US (New York)

+13017158592,,4081850851# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)