[NFBOH-Cleveland] Employment First and Greater Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities Act

smturner.234 at gmail.com smturner.234 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 22:50:27 UTC 2023

Cleveland Members,

President Payne has sent out the blow info. Please add your name to the
list. If you have any questions, give me a call or text.

////

Dear membership:

The NFB has always advocated for the faze out and elimination of   sub
minimum wages for blind people  . We have been part of a coalition to get
this done in our state, and your help is needed. I am asking that each of
you read the attached file, or keep reading in the body of this message, and
send your name to be added to the letter of support.  Chapters, Divisions,
and individual members should do this after reading my email.

You may send your email directly to:
ohapse at apse.org

When you send your email provide your name, Division or Chapter with this
example "National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Middleburg Heights
Chapter" or "National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, Candy Division".

Here is the letter that is documented to be sent with your name of support.
December 20, 2023

Dear Representative Jarrells,

As advocates in the disability and employment communities, we, the
undersigned, support moving the

Employment First and Greater Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities Act
forward to eliminate

subminimum wage in the state of Ohio.

Subminimum wage perpetuates an unjust system that undermines the inherent
worth and dignity of people

with disabilities. By accepting subminimum wage as the norm, Ohio continues
to explicitly devalue the

potential contributions and abilities of all workers with disabilities. This
is not the Employment First society

that we strive to be in Ohio. It is disheartening that our current system
perpetuates a wage structure that

devalues the work and limits the economic opportunities for people with
disabilities.

In accordance with the Ohio Revised Code (ORC), employers in Ohio can obtain
a 14(c) certificate that

authorizes the payment of subminimum wages to workers with disabilities
under the provision of the Fair

Labor Standards Act of 1938. Ohio is one of the top 10 states in utilization
of 14c certificates to pay

workers with disabilities a subminimum wage.

In Ohio, around 3500 workers with disabilities are currently being paid
wages below the minimum wage.

Shockingly, some of them have reported earning as little as $0.42 per hour
for 40 hours of labor. This

glaring disparity in compensation underscores the pressing need to confront
the issue of subminimum

wages and ensure equitable remuneration for every worker, irrespective of
their disabilities. Importantly,

the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) strictly prohibits discrimination
based on disability. The ADA

places great emphasis on fostering equal employment opportunities and access
for all workers, with the

goal of eradicating discriminatory practices and wage disparities.

The historic budget provisions for home and community-based care provide the
framework for ensuring

community living and access to integrated competitive work. Allowing 14(c)
certificates now violates the

holding in Olmstead and the federal and state guidance that was instituted
to ensure access to home and

community-based living. Individuals with lived experience in segregated
programs fostered by the 14 (c)

provision urge that it is time to begin the process of legally fading out
subminimum wage for all workers

with disabilities. By amending the Ohio Revised Code, we can align our state
with this movement across

the country and demonstrate Ohio's commitment to upholding the Olmstead Act
and the rights and well being of workers with disabilities.

We ask that you and our elected officials put an end to this outdated and
discriminatory practice. We

request that you introduce the bill immediately, initiate the legislative
process, and provide people with

disabilities and the disability service communities the opportunity to
testify and share their lived

experiences.

Sincerely,

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com
blindness is not what holds you back.

Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link
attachments:

Employment First and Greater Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities Act

sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are handled.