[NFBOK-Talk] NFBOK Board Resolution 2015-01

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Sun Nov 1 20:40:17 UTC 2015

All,

I hope this beautiful Oklahoma Fall day finds you happy and well.

The NFBOK Affiliate Board recently met to discuss concerns about the
continued efforts of the Oklahoma Council of the Blind to create problems
where there are none with regard to the Oklahoma School for the Blind.
Additionally, we felt that it was time for us to make a public announcement
of support for Director Cordova and his expectations of the students and
staff at the Oklahoma School for the Blind. I have attached a copy of
National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma Board Resolution 2015-01 and
have pasted a copy below for review.

There are further actions being taken and there will be further action
necessary on your part as well. Be on the lookout for an e-mail from me in
the next few days. It will be a mobilizing call to action.

I would add an additional comment regarding communication within our
affiliate.  I encourage more. If you have concerns or questions about
current issues, programming, legislation.well, anything involving the
Federation, please let me know. I can't help and neither can the Affiliate
Board if we don't know. We are in all integral and important to the
organization. We work better, grow more and build a better and brighter
future for the blind of Oklahoma when we are able to effectively communicate
with and work together to do so.

Let's build our Affiliate and the national organization together. Let's go
build the Federation!!

Warmly, your sister in the Federation,

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma

Treasurer, National Federation of the Blind

505 Baker Street

Norman, Oklahoma

405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma

Affiliate Board Resolution 2015-01

Regarding the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services actions to
improve quality education at the Oklahoma School for the Blind.

WHEREAS, the National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma is the largest and
most diverse independent consumer organization of blind persons in the state
of Oklahoma, and;

WHEREAS, we, as such, recognize the absolute necessity of an equal and
effective education for blind children to become full and productive
partners in society, and;

WHEREAS, The Oklahoma School for the Blind is a key resource for the
development, education, and training of blind children in the state of
Oklahoma, and;

WHEREAS, The need for raising levels of expectations, standards, and outcome
measures for the blind students at The Oklahoma School for the Blind,
relative to those of their sighted peers has come to the attention of this
organization: Now, therefore;

BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma Board of
Directors in teleconference assembled this twenty-sixth day of October,
2015, that we unanimously and heartily support the ongoing efforts of the
Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services to raise expectation levels
and standards and to improve the quality of educational services at the
Oklahoma School for the Blind.  Particularly in the instruction of the
alternative techniques of blindness, including Braille, independent travel
with a white cane, access technology and communication, and other skills of
daily living ordinarily associated with competence for blind persons, as
well as general academic achievement.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the National Federation of the Blind of
Oklahoma commends and supports the efforts of the Oklahoma Department of
Rehabilitation Services to provide more open, transparent, and comprehensive
accountability for the practices, programs, services, and activities of the
Oklahoma School for the Blind with the aim of bringing academic expectations
and outcomes for its blind students more appropriately in line with those of
their sighted peers.