[NFBOK-Talk] NFBOK 2016 State Convention!!!!

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Wed Feb 3 01:39:16 UTC 2016

     2016 National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma Convention

March 31 -April 3, 2016

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

The Board of Directors of the National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma
welcome you to join in our 42nd Annual convention!

Jeannie Massay, President

Audrey T. Farnum, 1st Vice President

Rex Schuttler, 2nd Vice President

Glenda Farnum, Treasurer

Jedi Moerke, Secretary

Cammie Loehr, Board Member

Mike Harvey, Board Member

Mike Floyd, Board Member

The mission of the National Federation of the Blind of Oklahoma is to seek
equality, education and employment for all blind people in Oklahoma.  We
offer public education about blindness, serve as a source of information and
referral, provide literature and publications about blindness, share
information about and demonstrate assistive technology and other adaptive
equipment for the blind, participate in advocacy efforts in the protection
of civil rights, and offer support for blind persons and their families.
Our members are blind children and their parents, blind students from high
school to college, adults and seniors.

We wholeheartedly believe that blindness is not the characteristic that
defines anyone or their future. Every day we raise expectations of the blind
because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our
dreams.  Blindness is not what holds us back.  We are living the lives that
we want!

This year we are thrilled to have Ever Lee Hairston serve as our national
representative and keynote speaker. Ms. Hairston is a dynamic and
charismatic woman, a published author and a person whose story you will want
to hear. A bit about Ever Lee:

Mentor, Advocate, Motivational Speaker

Born to Arizona and Clarence Hairston on the Coolemee plantation in
Mocksville, North Carolina, Ever Lee is the third of seven children. She
grew up and attended schools in the segregated South. "I felt like a
second-class citizen, using hand-me-down books in school; and, due to
unexplained vision problems, I had to struggle to read from the bulletin
board," Ever Lee noted. In spite of the challenges of growing up in the
segregated South and continuing visual problems, Ever Lee had a strong
desire to become a nurse. Ever Lee's parents simply could not afford to send
her to college; so after high school, Ever Lee went to New York City to earn
money for college by working as a live-in maid. She returned to North
Carolina at the end of the summer anxious to pursue a nursing career.
However, she failed the required eye examination and was told that she would
not be suitable for admission to Duke University Nursing School. "I was
heartbroken but refused to be defeated," she said. She was accepted at North
Carolina Central University, where she earned a teaching degree.

After graduating from North Carolina Central, Ever Lee taught high school
business courses in New Jersey. While working as a high school teacher in
New Jersey, Ever Lee's eyesight continued to deteriorate. She finally sought
answers and medical care. Ever Lee, along with three siblings, were
diagnosed with a genetic eye disease, retinitis pigmentosa (RP). And, four
years after starting a challenging teaching career, Ever Lee was forced to
resign from her position because of her impending blindness.

At the age of twenty-nine, facing total blindness, with a failed marriage, a
child to raise alone, and uncertainty about future employment, Ever Lee
admitted to being devastated and feeling sorry for herself. However, she
held on to the hope that a better way of life was in store for her. Ever Lee
admits to believing in the old adage that "When God closes a door, He opens
a window." She began looking for the window.

After inventorying her strengths, she stepped through a window of
opportunity at New Jersey's Rutgers University, where she took graduate
courses in counseling. In 1983 she landed a Counselor Trainee position with
the Camden County Department of Health and Human Services. But, as Ever Lee
explains it, "With no blindness skills, I was faking my way through." She
notes that she relied heavily on sighted people to read to her and to act as
guides.

In 1987 Ever Lee was invited to a NFB convention in Phoenix, Arizona. At
first she made excuses because she was afraid of requesting the time off
from her job. The most profound experience, as Ever Lee explains it, came
when she started through the registration line. She remembers being asked,
"Would you like a Braille or print agenda?" She could no longer read print
and did not know Braille. It was then, according to Ever Lee, that a light
bulb went off. She talked to as many people as she could at that convention
in Phoenix, Arizona, and learned about the NFB centers. From then until 1990
she continued to function without blindness skills but worked on a plan to
get to Louisiana where she could be trained.

Ever Lee attended the Louisiana Center for the Blind from October 1990 until
April 1991. She learned to read Braille, mastered cane travel and
independent living skills, and learned to utilize adaptive technology. She
returned to New Jersey, after the Freedom Bell rang for her at the Louisiana
Center, with a confidence she never had before, integrating blindness skills
into her everyday life.

Ever Lee credits her training at the Louisiana Center for the Blind with
enabling her to succeed at her chosen career. After twenty-six years holding
many successive positions with the Department of Health and Human Services,
Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program in New Jersey, Ever Lee
retired from the position of program director in 2006.

In July of 2006 she moved to California. She continues to devote tireless
hours mentoring and advocating for the blind, as well as delivering
inspiring speeches to blind and visually impaired audiences and educating
the sighted public about blindness. Ever Lee is blessed with one son,
Victor; a wonderful daughter-in-law, Brenda; and three energetic
grandchildren: Briana, Kendall, and Jasmine. She enjoys traveling, reading a
good novel, and spending time with family

Most recently, Ever Lee has authored and published a book titled Blind
Ambition: One Woman's Journey to greatness despite her blindness

Holiday Inn  - City Centre

17 West 7th

Tulsa, Ok 74119

918-585-5898

 <http://www.holidayinn.com/tulsda-cc> www.holidayinn.com/tulsda-cc

The rate for the hotel this year is a fantastic $89.00 for singles or
doubles.  All applicable taxes apply.  Each attendee must make their own
hotel reservations.

Convention Rates and Packages:

Convention Package $95.00

Includes Registration, Boxed lunch for Friday and 1 Banquet meal for
Saturday evening.

Ala Carte Pricing

Registration - $25.00

Boxed Lunch (Available Friday and Saturday) - $20 each

Banquet Meal - $40.00

*If you require specialized meal ACCOMODATIONS, please indicate so on your
registration.

You may register and pay online using a Credit card or Pay Pal account.  If
you prefer to register online and mail a check or pay at the door with a
check or cash, you may do so at the same link.  Our awesome Webmaster (1st
Vice President, Audrey Farnum) has completely redesigned our website and has
worked very hard to make this happen for us!   Go to this link to register
online:   <http://nfbok.org/state-convention/>
http://nfbok.org/state-convention/

If preferred, you may register by filling out the form at the end of this
e-mail and sending it along with a check to Glenda Farnum, Treasurer of the
NFB of Oklahoma at the following address:

Glenda Farnum

6116 Gunhill Way

Warr Acres, Ok 73132

Any questions about registration should be  directed to Glenda Farnum,
Treasurer, at 405-255-6482 or by e-mail at  <mailto:treasurer at nfbok.org>
treasurer at nfbok.org

If you are a student and plan on attending the Student Seminar Sessions,
please contact Cammie Loehr , President of the Oklahoma Association of Blind
Students at  <mailto:cammieloehr767 at gmail.com> cammieloehr767 at gmail.com  or
by phone at 580-678-8222.

Convention Activities

Thursday, March 31, 2016

7:00-8:30          Registration

6:00 -10:00       Federation Family Gatherings

Informal gatherings and fellowship  for students, and anyone else wanting to
have a good time together before we get down to business. More information
will be forthcoming regarding specific times and locations.

Friday, April 1, 2016

8:00-9:00          Registration

9:00 - 10:00     NFB of Ok Board meeting

Open to all convention attendees.

10:00- 11:00             Resolutions Committee Meeting, Mike Harvey, Chair

Any member may submit, at least 2 weeks in advance of the convention, a
resolution which may be considered by the Committee. All members are
encouraged to attend as this is where you will learn about the resolutions
for this year. Resolutions which pass the committee will then be voted on by
the membership at the annual business meeting on Sunday, April 3rd.
Resolutions are considered to be the policy of our organization.

Resolutions for consideration may be sent to Mike Harvey at
<mailto:mike.harvey149 at gmail.com> mike.harvey149 at gmail.com

The Exhibit Hall will be open from 10:00 to 8:00. (Friday ONLY)

Raising Expectations

A day of seminars for all blind Oklahomans, their friends and family members
relating to the development of blindness skills and the achievement of
independence.  How to live the life you want!

11:15-12:30     Session 1 rotation

1. Student Seminar: Self-Advocacy

2. Cane Travel - Professional Orientation & Mobility Instructors will be on
hand to dynamically teach participants the basics of using a long white cane
to navigate the world as a blind person. Led by Jedi Moerke, Mike Harvey,
and others.

3. Tech Talk & Demonstrations:  Do you have a Love/ Hate relationship with
your technology?  This seminar is for beginners to those who are tech savvy.
Bring questions about the technology that you depend on.  Hopefully, we can
provide the answers. Led by Audrey Farnum.

12:30 - 1:30     Lunch

1:30- 2:45         Session 2 rotation

1. Student Seminar - Technology Matters

2. Why I am a Federationist! Discussion of what the National Federation of
the Blind is and why members on this panel got involved and remain so.

3. When blindness comes: Seniors successfully living with blindness

3:00-4:15 Session 3 rotation

1. Student Seminar -

2. Health & well-being: Incorporating Stress management into our lives - Led
by Jeannie Massay

3. Cane Travel  - Professional Orientation & Mobility Instructors will be on
hand to dynamically teach participants the basics of using a long white cane
to navigate the world as a blind person. Led by Jedi Moerke, Mike Harvey,
and others.

4:15 -6:30         Dinner Break - Dinner on your own. Restaurant menus are
available in Braille and Large-print. Local restaurants are happy to serve
you as well! Enjoy! Fuel  up and get ready to finish out the day!

6:30-8:00 Session 4 rotation

1. Student Seminar

2. Tech Talk & Demonstrations:  Do you have a Love/ Hate relationship with
your technology?  This seminar is for beginners to those who are tech savvy.
Bring questions about the technology that you depend on.  Hopefully, we can
provide the answers. Led by Audrey Farnum.

3. The Working Blind - A panel discussion with employed individuals who
happen to be blind.  Panelists from a variety of interests and jobs will
speak about their jobs and the skills that they use daily to bring home
their pay!

8:30-10:00        Activities

1. Student Division Meeting and Elections

2. Meet & mingle/ Game night

3. Described movie

Saturday, April 2, 2016

9:00 Call to order

9:00-12:00                  General Session

12:00 - 2:00               Lunch

2:00 - 5L00                 General Session

Speakers include Jeannie Massay, President,  National Federation of the
Blind of Oklahoma, Joe Cordova, Director, Oklahoma Department of
Rehabilitation, Ever Lee Hairston, National  Representative and many others
helping blind Oklahomans live the lives that they want!

7:00           Banquet and keynote address featuring Ever Lee Hairston

Sunday, April 2, 2016

9:30-12:00        Annual Business Meeting

12:00                   Adjourn

An updated agenda will be forthcoming with additional information on the
specifics of General Session speakers and a separate agenda for the Student
Seminar sessions. Stay tuned! Make sure to register and reserve your room
today!We hope you can join us!

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of theBlind

Of Oklahoma

505 Baker Street

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we raise
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. Blindness is not what holds you back. You can
live the life youw ant.!.

"Whatever you dare to dream, begin." - Goethe