[NFBOK-Talk] Message from the Presidents

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 25 22:55:25 UTC 2016

Good afternoon, Federationists!

Due to the weather conditions and accumulation of snow in Washington DC,
many of our hill appointments have been cancelled., Additionally, our
delegation has been working on rescheduling flights...to no avail.
Therefore, this year, we will not have in-person appointments with our
representatives in D.c.. We will be scheduling appointments with our
senator's and congressmen's in-state offices to discuss the legislative
issues that the National Federation of the Blind has for this congress. We
will ask for your participation via visits , phone calls and e-mails along
with a strong presence on social media about our issues. More information
about how you can help will be forthcoming. Please watch for an update from
Glenda Farnum, our NFB of Oklahoma  Legislative Director. Our collective
voice is heard when we join together. Your commitment to our efforts are
truly appreciated.

The legislative concerns for the 114th Congress, Second Session  are as
follows:

The Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act (HR 188, S
2001)

Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act allows employers to pay
workers with disabilities subminimum wage because of the false assumption
that they are less productive than nondisabled workers. This antiquated
provision breeds low expectations and discourages disabled Americans from
reaching their full vocational potential. HR 188 and S 2001 will responsibly
phase out the use of Section 14(c) Special Wage Certificates, ending the era
of segregated, subminimum wage work.

More information can be found at the following link:
https://nfb.org/timefactsheet

The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HE) Act

Electronic instructional materials have replaced traditional methods of
learning in postsecondary education, but the overwhelming majority of
ebooks, courseware, web content, and other technologies are inaccessible to
students with print disabilities. The law requires equal access in the
classroom but fails to provide direction to schools for the way it applies
to technology. AIM HE creates voluntary accessibility guidelines for
educational technology to improve blind students' access to course material,
stimulate the market, and reduce litigation for schools.

More information can be found at the following link:
https://nfb.org/aimheafactsheet

Equal Access to Air Travel for Service-Disabled Veterans (HR 2264)

The Space Available Program allows active-duty military, Red Cross
employees, and retired members of the armed services to travel on military
aircraft if space is available. HR 2264 reverses the exclusion of 100
percent service-disabled veterans who were discharged before September 23,
1996, and entitles them to the program's privileges even though they were
never classified as "retired."

More information can be found at the following link:
https://nfb.org/equal-access-air-travel-service-disabled-veterans-hr-2264

The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who
Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled

Despite the ability to convert print books into accessible formats like
Braille, large print, audio, and digital copies, millions of blind and
otherwise print-disabled Americans are excluded from accessing 95 percent of
published works. The Marrakesh Treaty calls for contracting parties to
provide in their national copyright laws for a limitation or exception that
allows for the reproduction, distribution, and cross-border exchange of
accessible works.

More information can be found at the following link:
https://nfb.org/marrakeshfactsheet

NFB of Oklahoma State Convention

April 1-3. 2016  Holiday Inn City Center, Tulsa

A basic agenda and information will come in a separate e-mail.

We hope you can join us!

The following message and information is from Mark Riccobono, President,
National Federation of the Blind:

Thank you for your commitment to the work of the National Federation of the
Blind. The hope and determination that Federationists across the country
have demonstrated during the past week is a significant part of what makes
our organization unique and effective. For those who simply have not been
able to get to Washington because of the lack of seats on rescheduled
flights, thank you for the effort you have put in to Washington Seminar
2016. While there is nothing quite as effective as being on the ground and
in a Congressional office, please remember that there is a lot you can do to
let your members of Congress know that our issues are important to you as
one of their constituents. Finally, I know that the rescheduling of
appointments and the uncertainty over the past couple of days has been
frustrating for all of us. The effort is definitely worth it. Remember,
together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into
reality.

News:

The Self-Advocacy in Higher Education Toolkit:
The new toolkit is now live at
https://nfb.org/self-advocacy-higher-education.

Video:
In our most recent video, Lisa Irving from San Diego talks about her faith
in the NFB. You can access the video at https://youtu.be/bHlKXvnbiY4

Reminders:

Petition to sign and share:
Last week we launched a We the People petition
<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/direct-us-department-justice-prom
ptly-release-ada-internet-regulations>  calling on the Obama administration
to promptly release the ADA internet regulations. We need to have 100,000
signatures by February 11, 2016, so please sign and share with your
contacts. The full URL for the petition is
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/direct-us-department-justice-promp
tly-release-ada-internet-regulations.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230

Phone: (410) 659-9314

Stay tuned for information from Glenda about our legislative initiatives and
requested action on your part in the next week or so.

Also, remember to send articles of interest or chapter/ event information to
Audrey for the  website  and to Rex and Cammie for the newsletter.

You can send information to them at the following addresses:

Audrey Farnum-  audrey at nfbok.org <mailto:audrey at nfbok.org>

Rex and Cammie- newsletter at nfbok.org <mailto:newsletter at nfbok.org>

Have a great week! Let's go build the Federation!

Warmly,

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of theBlind

Of Oklahoma

505 Baker Street

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we raise
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. Blindness is not what holds you back. You can
live the life youw ant.!.

"Whatever you dare to dream, begin." - Goethe