[NFBOK-Talk] NFB Performing Arts Division

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Fri Jun 17 16:44:57 UTC 2016

Federation family,

Please see the below message from Julie A. McGinnity, President of the
Performing Arts Division of the National Federation of the Blind:

Dear Affiliate Presidents,

My name is Julie McGinnity, and I currently serve as the president of the
National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division.  You may remember
me as a scholarship winner (2011, 2013) or as the singer of the National
Anthem at the national convention last year.  At present, I am interning at
our national office.  But today I reach out to you as the president of a
division that needs support.

The National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division has great
potential.  We have a unique perspective from which we can build the
federation.  Like all divisions, we engage members who may not otherwise
consider joining the federation.  For example, we provide blind stage
performers with mentors and foster opportunities for blind sound engineers
to learn about accessible recording studio technologies.  In addition, our
voices could lead the charge or start the applause when blind characters
appear in the newest feature films and prime time television shows.  I
believe that this division could evolve into a resource for affiliate
presidents, fellow divisions, and others in the federation.  After all, this
organization is full of talent.  Listen to the Rhythm of the Movement cd if
you don't believe me.  The Performing Arts Division could be a home and a
network for those who wish to develop their talents.

The paragraph above only outlines a few of the potential avenues for the
Performing Arts division.  It is up to the membership to decide how we reach
out to blind performers and use our skills to build the federation.  So I
write this message not only to spread awareness of the division but also
with the hope of gaining representation from more of our affiliates.

We would like to invite affiliates to point potential leaders or interested
members towards the Performing Arts Division.  Our board is eager to grow
this division, which stands ready to be a resource for anyone involved in
the performing arts.  Anyone who may have an interest in our work or has
ideas is invited to contact me at the info in my signature.  You may also
reach the entire board of the division by sending an email to
nfbpad at gmail.com <mailto:nfbpad at gmail.com> .

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your support.  I look forward to
seeing many of you at convention!

Yours in the movement,

Julie A. McGinnity

National Federation of the Blind Summer Intern

200 East Wells Street

Baltimore, MD 21230

Email: jmcginnity at nfb.org <mailto:jmcginnity at nfb.org>

Office: 410-659-9314 Ex. 2525

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

If you have interest in the Performing Arts, I encourage you to become
involved in this division.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Best,

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, M.A., LPC

330 W. Gray Street