[NFBOK-Talk] 2016 BELL Academy -Register NOW!!!!!!!!

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Mon May 23 21:23:59 UTC 2016

Parents & TVI's,

Blind and low vision children from ages  4 to 14 are invited to attend this
year's BELL Academy (Braille  Enrichment through Literacy and Learning)to be
held the weeks of June 13-17 and June 20-24. The BELL Academy is designed to
provide academic enrichment through blindness and low vision related skills
development such as Braille, cane travel, assistive technology, independence
and socialization by active participation with other blind and low vision
children and adolescents. Our teachers and volunteers are, for the most
part, blind and low vision themselves. They provide a wonderful opportunity
for your children to meet blind and low vision adults and for you both to
meet successful, blind adults living in your community.

This year, Audrey Farnum, an attorney for the Oklahoma Tax Commission, is
serving as our BELL Committee Chair and Coordinator. She has some really
great activities lined up for this year's BELL Academy. BELL Academy will be
held at the Trinity Baptist church located at  1329 NW 23rd Street

Oklahoma City, OK 73127. BELL Academy will run from 9:00 to 3:30 each day.
Lunch will be provided.

***********************     Important

If you are interested in having your child attend, please  register them by
Thursday of this week. If we do not have anyone registered by that time, we
will have to cancel our contract for the church location. BELL is a really
great program for blind and low vision children and adolescents. It is a fun
way to stay tuned in to academics and to meet new friends, young and old.
Please call Audrey or myself with any questions you may have. For those  of
you who have had children participate in past years, you know how much fun
your kids had and what they learned. For those of you who do not yet know or
have experienced BELL, please check it out! The following website will take
you to the BELL Academy overview and  to the Oklahoma specific page:

BELL Academy

https://nfb.org/bell-academy#Participating%20States

Oklahoma BELL

https://nfb.org/bell-academy-faqs-affiliate/ok

The website indicates that there is a registration fee of $250. However,
there are scholarships available. Please ask about them. We want for every
child who wants to attend to be able to do so.

Thank you for your time in reading this. I hope to meet you and your child
at BELL this summer!

Warm regards,

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of theBlind

Of Oklahoma

505 Baker Street

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we raise
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. Blindness is not what holds you back. You can
live the life you want.!.

"Whatever you dare to dream, begin." - Goethe