[NFBOK-Talk] Washington Seminar 2018

Jeanie Massay jeannie.massay at nfbok.org
Fri Dec 22 00:14:32 UTC 2017

Greetings Oklahoma Federationists,

It is time to start planning for the 2017 Washington Seminar! The energy at
Washington Seminar is like no other. Over 500 members of the NFB come
together to learn about and advocate for legislative initiatives that will
improve the lives of blind Americans. Please join us to cast off the
perception of incapacity that is too often reinforced by bad public policies
that serve to relegate blind Americans to second class citizenship.

If you are interested in attending Washington Seminar please carefully read
the following message and send your application to Jeannie Massay at the
contact information below.

PLACE: Holiday Inn Capitol, 550 C Street SW, Washington, DC 20024

DATES: Monday, January 29, 2018 through Thursday, February 1, 2018.

The NFB of Oklahoma's congressional visits will be scheduled on Tuesday,
January 30 and Wednesday morning, January 31.

MEETINGS:

The following meetings are required for those members receiving stipends to
attend Washington Seminar

*      Monday, January 29, 2:00 p.m. - Legislative Seminar at Holiday Inn

*      Monday, January 29, 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - Great Gathering In at
Holiday Inn

*      Tuesday, January 30, 7:00 a.m. - NFBOK Breakfast before heading out
to congressional appointments.

*      Tuesday, January 30, approximately 6:00 p.m. - Congressional
reception, more news to follow.

*      All NFB of Oklahoma congressional appointments on Tuesday and
Wednesday.

The legislative priorities of the National Federation of the Blind for the
115th Congress, Second session are as follows:

1.       The Accessible Instructional Materials In Higher Education "Aim
High" Act, (S. 2138/H.R. 1772)

Electronic instructional materials have replaced traditional methods of
learning in postsecondary education, but the overwhelming majority of
educational technologies are inaccessible to blind students. The law
requires equal access in the classroom but fails to provide direction to
schools for the way it applies to technology. The Aim High Act creates
voluntary accessibility guidelines for educational technology to stimulate
the market, improve blind students' access to course materials, and reduce
litigation for schools.

2.       The Access Technology Affordability "ATAA" Act, (S. 732/H.R. 1734)

Currently blind Americans rely on scarce sources of funding to acquire
access technology. By providing a refundable tax credit for qualifying
access technology purchases, Congress will stimulate individual procurement
of access technology and promote affordability of these tools for blind
Americans.

3.       Opposition to the "ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017," (H.R.
620)

H.R. 620 erodes protections for people with disabilities by removing
incentives for businesses to comply with the law, and by placing excessive
burdens on the very people the law aims to benefit. The ADA Education and
Reform Act of 2017 would weaken the ADA and set the disability community
back nearly three decades.

4.       The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for
Persons Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled
"Marrakesh Treaty"

An international copyright treaty will give blind Americans access to
millions of published works and improve the distribution of books around the
globe

Financial Assistance: The NFB of Oklahoma Board of Directors has allocated
$600.00 from the Live the Life You Want Fund for up to 3 first time
attendees of Washington Seminar to receive a $200.00 stipend. Recipients of
these stipends are responsible for all expenses above and beyond the amount
of the stipend.  Stipends will be provided to recipients at the Great
Gathering In on January 30th.  Stipend recipients are required to attend all
of the meetings listed above.

Selected applicants can reduce cost by room sharing and cab sharing. You
will receive assistance in coordinating opportunities to reduce your cost at
the time of selection.

Application Process: All persons who wish to apply for a stipend to attend
Washington Seminar must complete the brief application below. The
applications will be reviewed by the Legislative Director & Affiliate
President. Selected applicants will be notified by e-mail on Tuesday,
January 2, 2018. Applications are to be submitted on or before December 30,
2018

Please note all persons wishing to attend Washington Seminar need to
complete the application form. I encourage those who can to attend. However,
if you do not communicate your attendance via e-mail or phone to me, you may
not be included in our congressional appointments.

Learn more about Washington Seminar details at
https://nfb.org/washington-seminar

https://nfb.org/washington-seminar

Application Form

Name:

Address:

City, State, Zip:

Phone:

e-mail:

1.   Are you a member of NFB? If you are a member of a chapter or division
please list.

2.   Describe any leadership roles you hold in your chapter, division,
affiliate or National.

3.   Have you attended National or State Conventions?

4.   Have you attended Washington Seminar?

5.   If you are a first-time attendee, are you applying for a stipend?

6.   Describe your involvement in advocacy activities.

7.    Why do you want to attend Washington Seminar, what do you hope to gain
from attendance and what do you hope to do with what you gain?

I understand that I am responsible for all expenses related to attending
Washington Seminar. I understand that I can seek additional support for
Washington Seminar from my local chapter and that the chapter is under no
obligation to provide funding for Washington Seminar.

I understand that if I am selected to attend Washington Seminar that I am to
attend all meetings and Congressional appointments.

My typed signature constitutes that I have read and understand my
responsibilities related to attending Washington Seminar.

Name and date:

Please send the completed form to me at the contact information below my
signature.

Thanks,

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, President