[NFBOK-Talk] URGENT! call to action! NFBOK Blind Push Back!

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 26 00:19:31 UTC 2017

The Blind Push Back in Oklahoma!

CALL TO ACTION!

Wednesday, March 1st!

If you are Blind, know or love someone who is blind, you need to be at the
Oklahoma State Capitol on Wednesday, March 1, 2017, to let our legislators
know that we, the blind of Oklahoma, are not OK with legislation being
written  about us without our input, expertise and experience of living as
blind people. Further, that we do not want or need either of the bills
currently in question.

We need everyone to show up in opposition to HB 1861 and HB 2230. Make the
day about showing Oklahoma that the Blind community is alive and well in
Oklahoma. How can you help?  See how below:

Come to the Oklahoma State Capitol and stay all day!

1.   The House Municipal & County Committee will vote on HB 2230 at 9:00
a.m. in Room 412 C.

2.   We, the blind, and our friends and family members will rally at 1:00 on
the South Plaza to oppose the legislation and demonstrate our capacity
through collective action.

3.   The House Appropriations Committee will meet at 3:30 in Room 206 to
vote on HB 1861.

4.   Share and Like our Facebook and Twitter posts.

If you are able to stay for the entire day, please plan to do so. If you are
able to attend part of the day please come to the Blind Push Back Rally and
the House Municipal & County Committee meeting in the morning or the House
Appropriations Committee meeting in the afternoon.

Tired of being pushed around?

We can and must do something about it!

HB1861 Regarding the Older Blind program

This bill will effectively remove the management and services to the older
blind from the Department of Rehabilitation and its employees to other
possible organizations or private agencies. This legislation will take
dollars away from Visual Services and afford it to outside interests. This
bill seeks to provide a solution to a problem that does not exist. The Older
Blind program needs to stay where it is!

HB2230 Regarding the exemption of county jail commissaries from priority to
licensed blind managers

This bill will effectively remove a blind manager from the job that he does
well and will set precedent for other locations to be removed for exemption
in the future. The bill, in its current form, will remove all county jails
from prioritization. Further, in the future other facilities are quite
likely to be targeted as well. Last year, the legislature exempted the
Capitol from priority and claimed that they would not pursue further
locations in the future.

It's time to tell the Oklahoma Legislature they can't make policy about us,
without us. Please join us Wednesday to be a part of the blind push back.

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of theBlind

Of Oklahoma

505 Baker Street

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

Live the life you want!

characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we raise
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. Blindness is not what holds you back. You can
live the life you want.!.