[NFBOK-Talk] Disaster relief for blind members in Texas

Jeannie Massay jmassay1 at cox.net
Tue Sep 5 22:14:51 UTC 2017

Federation family,

As you know, many of our Federation family members in Texas have been
drastically affected by Hurricane Harvey. To that  end the National
Federation of the Blind is asking us to help our Texas brothers and sisters
in the following ways. Please see the message from President riccobono
below.

National Federation of the Blind Hurricane Harvey Relief Project:

During the past week, many members of the National Federation of the Blind
have reached out with offers of support for blind individuals impacted by
Hurricane Harvey. We have been asking that you hold those offers of support
until we could coordinate with our Texas affiliate, determine what needs
exist, and develop a plan that most effectively marshals resources to meet
the needs of blind people in impacted communities. We are now prepared to
mobilize the National Federation of the Blind's Hurricane Harvey Relief
Project. Below are the things you need to know and ways that you can best
help.

*       The National Federation of the Blind Hurricane Harvey Relief Project
will be managed by Norma Crosby, president of the National Federation of the
Blind of Texas. Norma will be assisted by our national staff as needed.

*       How you can help:

o   Donate to our Harvey Relief Fund which we commit to only using for
Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. We will accept:

*  Gift cards to major retailers, because they are easier to share than
supplies. We encourage gift cards from Target, Walmart, Academy Sports and
Outdoors, Amazon, and Bed Bath and Beyond.

*  Transportation credits/gift cards for Uber and Lyft to provide
transportation assistance.

*  Financial contributions either online <http://www.nfbtx.org/donate.php>
(be sure to write "Harvey Relief Fund" in the note field) or write a check
to the National Federation of the Blind of Texas with "Harvey Relief Fund"
in the memo line.

o   Adopt a family: If you would like us to match your affiliate/chapter
with a specific family that you can help, please reach out to Norma Crosby.

I have asked Norma if there are any particular needs for specific families
and will have that information available. I have also asked where donated
cards should be sent. I will update when I know more.

Thanks,

Jeannie

Jeannie M. Massay, President

National Federation of theBlind

Of Oklahoma

505 Baker Street

Norman, OK 73072

Phone: 405-600-0695

Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org <mailto:Jeannie.massay at nfbok.org>

Live the life you want!

characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we raise
expectations of the blind because low expectations create obstacles between
blind people and our dreams. Blindness is not what holds you back. You can
live the life you want.!.